fluxbox multiple desktop problem

chris z

hi folks........

i've been playing with Fluxbox lately, from time to time. i just installed (upgraded to) Fluxbox-0.9.6-0.pre9.1mdk.i586rpm. the reason i upgraded was, i had a Texstar version of Fluxbox installed & since he's no longer supporting Mandrake rpm's, i wanted to get an non Texstar version. i got this current rpm from the contrib section here at the forum. it installed fine & works fine, except for one problem. the tool bar only shows 1 desktop & won't let me access any more than that. i have checked & tried the following so far........

i made sure that i first uninstalled Texstar's Fluxbox. i also manually deleted the remnants of that install from /usr/share & from my /home directory. using fluxconf, i have checked the entry for multiple desktops. it is set to 4. i have saved that configuration & restarted flux.....didn't work. i have manually edited the init file in the ./fluxbox directory to show 4 desktops, saved it, restarted Flux..........didn't work. here's the weird part........when i right click the tool bar & check to see how many desktops are enabled, it says 1. but, when i try to set it to any other number, it won't budge. the right click setting always stays at 1. also, in addition to restarting Fluxbox after making the above changes, i have also restarted X.............didn't work.

a few other notes.......i have also tried installing Fluxbox from the tar.gz file. it gives me errors about something called B_AmericanDate during make & then bombs. i have also tried using the src.rpm, but that errors out with mulitple errors during the build. (some of you musb regulars who have tried to help me with this know this stuff already) so, that's why i went for the mdk rpm.

anybody have any ideas or thoughts on the matter? please note.........i am at work as of this posting, so i won't be able to try out any suggestions until later tonight. also, this isn't of the utmost urgency, since i'm just in the "playing around with" stages of Fluxbox. i have a loooong way to go before i can decide if i want to use it on a regular basis. and, along that last line of thought, since i have very little experience with Fluxbox, please post any answers/suggestions in a way that an utter Fluxbox newbie can understand.

TIA,

Chris

Do you have Desktop Wheeling enabled in your fluxbox-configure menu? Without that the mousewheel won't change between desktops

hmmmmmm...........

ya know, i'm not 100% sure, but i don't think i do. i remember seeing that option, but didn't know what it meant. (see..........FluxNewb, here :P ) i'll check that tonight & post back if that solved the problem or not.

Chris

mdg..........

that did the trick! thanks! for some reason Desktop Wheeling wasn't selected. i enabled it, restarted Flux, & my multiple desktops are back! cool! :D now i can move on & try to figure out how the rest of this beast works....... :P

Chris