Didn't find a support forum.

knockout

I am very new to linux, but I do like to learn new stuff a lot.

I have been using Mandrake 9.2 for the last two weeks.

Finally got it working.

Mozilla Firebird with flash and java enabled.

I know how to uncompress a file and some other installation steps.

Now I am just curious...........me being a Windows user for a long time.

In windows you need an antivirus, you need some kind of software to remove ads or spyware, you also need programs to get rid of your history either in your pc as in your browser. Knowing this, what is the deal in Linux?

I mean, do you need an antivirus, spyware removal tool, history deletion proggie? in Linux?

Or is it that you would never get infected by a virus, worm, trojan, etc.

Does Linux cache? no need to delete history?

Hope somebody can enlighten me a little bit.

In windows you need an ...

Hmmmm... now if only the other windows users begin to realize this stuff, MS would be out of business in a hurry.

No extra bloat needed here in Linux Land. But I do believe files are cached somewhere and there is a history toolbar hiding someplace (not sure... gotta check later myself). Maybe /home/.netscape or someplace like that (hidden folder).

Virii aren't really a problem for Linux as they are for windows, although some antivirus software for linux does exist. You may want to run a google search and see what comes up.

As for the other things, Mozilla handles them quite nicely. It has built in popup and image blocking controls so you can stop most ads and popups without installing anything extra. Also, you might want to try mozdev.org and check out some other mozilla addons that extend the functionality of it in various ways. :)

Guest Adriano

Let's clarify things a bit, if I can. There are currently no known viruses of any importance attacking linux machines. The structure of the system makes a virus attack far less dangerous (though I could contradict myself on this easily, see below).

That said, you'll find several linux antivirus packages; Clamav comes to mind. They normally monitor Windows machines in a network under a Linux server, or check mail for embedded viruses.

*About the "contradict myself" part: in Linux, a virus / worm / exploit executed by a user has the rights of the user, and therefore can only damage that user's files / directories. That's why it's important never to run your PC as root if you don't need to. On the other hand, a reinstall of a system takes "on average" 1 to 3 hours. The loss of personal files (of the aforementioned user) could be devastating.

Solutions: backup your essential data. Trust not attachments. And remember Vixie:

"If you "su and say" [say means to execute a program or script] something just because I ask you to, you have a big security problem, and you should look into it".

There are a few working exploits and probably trojans programmed for linux, but I really do not know about them, save that they exist. If you want to know more, google for "rootkits".

Next question: web caching. Linux doesn't "cache your web history". Windows does that (there was a scary thread about this in this forum, don't have time now to link it). IE does that. Every browser does that. You should check your browser preferences window to set the size of the cache, inspect it, check the address history...

However, since your typical honest distro doesn't do anything but what you ask for with your cache, it poses no danger to your privacy that I know of.

Thanks for all answers.

Yes I heard of antivirus proggies for linux, AVG has one. But I don't feel like setting one up. Do you guys use one?

Right now, I have used Firebid as my main browser, I do know how to keep this under control here, < internet history, cookies and else >

I was curious about hard disk space, like one month from now, I could erase tmp folders or stuff Linux has been caching that I don't need so I can make a little more room to my drive.

About running as *su*, I would only do this if I need special privileges to run a command, though I don't browse the web as root, just in case.

Virus checkers and Linux are debateable, no withstanding what the Devil chicken just said.... :D

You can hold viri in your mail and they are not going to affect you but might be passed on to your friends who have yet to discover linux...

Worse you might email yourself at work and then start a whole virus at work!!!

Guest Adriano

Gowator dixit:

You can hold viri in your mail and they are not going to affect you but might be passed on to your friends who have yet to discover linux...

Worse you might email yourself at work and then start a whole virus at work!!!

Yes, that's why I said

They normally [...] check mail for embedded viruses.