3Com Gigabit (3C940)

ace2086

With a little searching, one will discover this driver is also referred to as a 3c2000 and will find tons of info on it:

http://www.google.com/linux?sourceid=mozcl...gabit+%2B+3c940

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?act...highlite=3c2000

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

I have searched and I have also followed some posts regarding the driver, but I have not seen anyone who has been able to compile it. I wanted know if this can even be compiled in order to install the driver?

I see you have an Asus A7V600 with the onboard network card..... I was wondering... have you been able to get the onboard sound to work? I read somewhere that there isn't a driver for it.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by ace2086

Ok, I just wanted to be clear with what you have actually tried, so I'm not just rehashing what you have already done. I am assuming you have the onboard gigabit and I'm assuming it is an Asus MoBo. Even if it isn't, the download site I'm going to send you to might still work. Some people reported having trouble with the driver that comes on the disk and downloading one from the Asus site (updated driver) worked. Here's the site:

http://www.asus.com/support/download/download.aspx

Make sure you grab the Linux driver for 3c2000 and untar it and read the README or INSTALL file in there. I *think* all you have to do is make load, but I could have misremembered. Here are my instructions for it:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?sho...wtopic=8338&hl=

You need to have the kernel source installed. First go here

http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/index.php

and follow the instructions to set up only internet urpmi sources and then do (as root) in a console:

urpmi kernel-source

Then follow the instructions I just linked to to get the 3Com working.

Let me know how it turns out.

Onboard sound does not work on this board and I don't expect it ever will.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

I'm in the process of trying what you said, but I ran into a little problem......

In order to install the source in the way that you said, I would have to have an internet connection to download the files. Since the network card wasn't installed, I had no internet.

Luckily, I read in another post somewhere that the driver sklin98 also worked for this network, so I tried it and it worked.

I still want to install the 3com driver so I'm going to try what you said, but I have a question about that......

Isn't the source installed, when you first install Mandrake Linux?

Also, what exactly does the command that the website gives you, do?

The kernel source is not typically installed by default, only the kernel is (which you can basically view as the compiled kernel source). Building drivers in linux typically means that you need the kernel headers contained in the kernel source, which you won't find in the compiled kernel (make sense?). Normally, Mandrake includes the kernel source on the installation disks, but for some reason, in 9.2, they did not see fit to include the kernel source on the download edition of 9.2. If you are a silver or above member of MandrakeClub and were able to download the special download for those members (which was the first 3 disks of the powerpack edition), then it has the kernel sources on the installation disks or if you bought the retail version of mdk 9.2 standard edition, it also should contain the kernel source.

That was the reason I told you to go to the site and set up internet-only soures, assuming that you had a version of 9.2 that did not have the kernel source on the disks. What the site does that I sent you to is that it helps to define the sources that urpmi looks in to find packages, whether it be disks, http/ftp sources or local files. urpmi is a very easy way to install something for it finds and installs all the dependencies for that package as well.

Do use you the 3com driver or did you just leave the sklin98 driver?

After installing the driver there are some websites that I cannot connect and I've seen this problem before in the forum. I also read somewhere that the sklin98 driver has the same core or I guess code as some other drivers including the 3com, thus the reason it works.

BTW, thanks for the help so far.

Definitely, I use the 3com driver. I've read where the sklin98 driver works, but not properly and I have had no troubles with the 3com driver at all. Grab the updated 3com driver from the Asus website and follow my instructions in the post I linked to up there and all your problems should be solved.

You're welcome. It's nice to be appreciated. :D

I installed the driver following your instructions, but I'm getting the same problems. There are websites that I cannot connect to, for example google.com.

Something else peculiar that I saw was that when the system boots, both the eth0 and eth1 interfaces are brought up even though I only have one interface card.

After the driver is installed shouldn't I be able to select it in the harddrake configuration utility?

This just sounds/looks like you are just having problems with your nameservers. What do you have in /etc/resolv.conf? Does it match what your isp lists as their nameservers? If you have two nameservers in there, try reversing their order and see what happens. If that doesn't help, try removing one, trying it, then removing the other and put back the first and try it. Of course saving the file each time.

Steve Scripshire said:

Onboard sound does not work on this board and I don't expect it ever will.

I have a MSI ms6156 mobo and it uses the ensoniq es1371 sound chip, I assume it is, because the driver used is snd-ens1371 or es1371. I say 'assume it is' because in harddrake it's listed as "sound blaster audioPCI64V/audioPCI128"

Bus ID is 1274:1371

I had some trouble with sound, but that was using es1371 (default on install( I didn't know better)), but on recent re-install I used the snd-ens1371 (alsa driver, I think) and no troubles since.

I'm curious. Is it your board?