AC97 drivers

trunks2k

I installed mandrake 9.2 onto my new laptop, but aI can't get the sound to work. The drivers/modules loaded by default by mandrake did not work at all. I neean ac97 driver, can where can I get one, or if I should use a driver that is already in mandrake, which one should I use? I installed windows XP to check to be sure it wasn't a hardware issue (sound works fine on windows), so unfortunately I can't recall which driver mandrake was trying to use, I think it was snd something. I watched the bootup and when it got to loading the sound modules, I always got an error.

I'd be grateful for any help, thanks.

What is the manufacturer/model of your laptop? Just because it's AC'97, doesn't meant the chipset is the same. There are tons of audio chipsets out there that support ac'97.

Anyway, this topic should be in the laptop section, since that's where a lot of linux configuration problems start, lemme just move it to the correct one.

It's a Element Mercury 700m. It's a new OEM laptop distibuter, so the specific information is hard to come by. I e-mailed the manufactorer and he said it's an SiS Audio Controller and that under Debian it works fine with the i810 driver. But earlier I had done a fresh install of Lycoris (what it originally came installed with) and I swear that it was trying to use the i810 driver, but to no avail.

Under windows XP, it says it's using a realtek ac97 driver.

OK, I got it to work. I just reinstalled Mandrake 9.2 (last night I just threw windows onto the entire HD and figured I'll set it to dual boot today). The defaults chosen by mandrake don't work. What I had to do was use the i810 drivers, and turn on the ASLA services. I tried the i810 drivers last night, but I think it never tried to run the ASLA service, because during the install I found the option to turn it on at boot, and it was unchecked. Now my nextissue is to get the PC slot (for a wireless card) to work. I don't think mandrake has detected it. But that's not urgent.