MythTV or Freevo?

sitor

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Godflesh, what's wrong with VIA EPIA? They do seem to support Linux quite good. They're low power consuming, quite because of little cooling needs. All in all looks me to be a good price/quality ratio.

Of course if you have experience with it, I would like to hear about it.

Ciao,

Sitor

I have decided to put my actual board (asus tusl2 + celeron 1200) in my divx box, with a zalman 7000 (passive cooling, with underclocking and undervolting.

So i'm going tu use my athlon 1000 + via chipset as my main desktop. I will do some tests for the stability.

my divx box gonna be :

tusc2c + celeron 1200 + zalman

512M ram

a silent DD (i had a good seagate, but the new ones seems more noisy?)

old power supply with fan removed

acoustic absorber inside case

dvd reader

3com netrwork card

sb live sound card

hauppauge pvr350 tv/radio card

The tvout function is supported for this card. Now the question is : i want also an output on a monitor (for fast choosing of witch mp3 to play for example)

So i may had a geforce1 with tv output fan less ?

software : minimal mandrake 10 + mythtv

xfs file system on big partition (good for huge files).

Hm, you'll be starting faster then I will. My brother is still too much busy painting his appartment to care much, and I have not too much time left next to my full time job and two small kids.

Let us know how it works out. Is Mandrake 10 bèta already stable enough? Do the MythTV rpms for MDL 10 already exist, or will you build from source (seems to be a real dependancy hell!).

In any case good luck and keep us posted.

Ciao,

Sitor

Edited by sitor

Well i'm using cooker at home, and i must say that since 1 week, it become really stable (i haven't submit aény bug report).

nyvals as released mdk rpm for mandrake 10. They are even more to date than the plf ones (anyway he is the plf provider).

Now i have to check that hauppauge pvr350 drivers work with kernel 2.6.

I will let you now how this works.

PVR 350 owners :

Is it possible to use at the same time the tvout founction of the card along a classical video card connected to a monitor ?

I have found that with my PVR350 and MythTV you have to select either the PVRs TVout OR the computers monitor, not both at the same time. I've only just got MythTV working so I may have missed something. In my setup I have the Myth application window on my monitor and the video routed to a TV through the TV out.

Power....

Just something I picked up.

I gave a friend a Athalon 1250 (1400+) which replaced a Duron 1300 I had been using when it was my PC, in a shuttle case. (long story)

After lots of mysteries.... shutdowns whenever ripping MP3 I finally traced this back...

The power consumption .....

The 1400+ was drawing 20% more peak power than the Duron 1300 ....

I replaced the Athalon 1400+ with a 2200+ and the problems disappeared, along with the extra fans!!!

So if your building a quiet 'underclocked' fanless machine I'd recommend looking at the power requirements in detail. The later series chips often take <50% the power of the early ones. The 2200+ I bought actually uses half the power of the 1400+ ....

You can download all the fact sheets (for AMD at least) if anyones interested Ill post the links.

maconeil :

Thanks for your answer.

If i understand well, you are using your video card as output, wich is connecter to your monitor and to your tv.

How do you display only the video on the TV ?

What video card do you have ?

I've got nvidia GF4 card, i was only able to do this in windows. With linux, i have to setup a 640*480 display to have the tv out.

I think it will put a old GeForce1 on the mythtv box, if nvtv works with it. (i didn't get any sucess with my GF4)

Gowator :

Thanks for the tip. I've already looked at that. In fact my mythtv box will be my actual desktop, with the change from a wintv pci to a pvr350. Right now my system is very stable overclocked from 1200->1333 so it should be ok.

I will run it at default speed (1200). For my celeron it's a 28W output, 32W max. I just got yesterday a huge zalman heatskin, along a 92mm fan with speed control. I will make some test with only the zalman in passive cooling and add the 92mm fan @ 5V if needed. I may also open up my power block (alimentation) to remove the fan (warning high volts this is dangerous).

I have some special material for phonic isolation too.

My last problem is to find the quitest harddrive, parallel ata, 120go. I plan to mount it suspended by springs (elastiques).

GodFlesh....

The best thing I found for drives is what we call bluetac in England...

that stuff you use to stick up posters....

I use this on the base of all my speakers too.

For the hard drives I cut a little rubber washer and stick the <<bluetack>> to one side before screwing in the drive. This seems to cut out vibrations being amplified through the chassis...

However the best thing is probably lots of RAM....and use the hard drive powerdown. Its only when your not really using it that noise becomes much of a problem.

Hum, powerdown, that sounds like a good idea. I don't have too much ram sadly :(

I've also have got a "silent drive" housing, but i think it's limited to 5400rpm drives.

Is this "bluetac" "du scotch double face epais" ? Something wich can stick mirrors ?

One other question to pvr350 owners : do the drivers work with kernel 2.6 ?