Fatal error installing LILO

V6stang

Hey everyone.

I was just installing Mandrake 9.2, and the installer came up with an error when trying to install the bootloader to the MBR, but let me continue anyway, so I did.

When I rebooted, I got that screen full of 99 99 99 etc. I figured that was no problem, booted from the install CD, went into rescue mode, and reinstalled the Windows bootloader (just to make sure I hadn't horked my XP install). That all worked great.

Rebooted again, and tried to use the rescue mode to reinstall LILO, and here's the error it spit out:

Fatal: /dev/: neither a reg. file nor a block dev.

Windows is booting fine from it's own bootloader, and Mandrake is booting fine from a floppy, but I'd love to be able to install LILO and boot both from a menu. Any idea what the above error means, and how I can fix it? Thanks!

I was just installing Mandrake 9.2, and the installer came up with an error when trying to install the bootloader to the MBR, but let me continue anyway, so I did.

B)

B)

Heh. Well, I was a little tired, and I figured what the heck. :twisted:

Anyway, I seem to have accidentially fixed it. I ran through the installer again, performing an "upgrade" instead of a fresh install. It still gave me an error when it tried to install LILO, so I changed it to grub and that seems to have worked. Anyway, thanks for the tips. Next up, I need to wade through linmodems.org and try and figure out how to get my LT 56k working...