Help a noobie with Nvidia

javaguy

SUCCESS!!!

A couple of things:

To get 5336 to install, you have to make absolutely sure you have the latest kernel and its proper source. But also some kernel source packages seem to be missing a header file. I don't know why. Make sure you have the latest of both kernel and its source.

Someone told me also make sure to uninstall all other kernel source packages and manually make sure they are gone from /usr/src. I seriously doubt that this was actually necessary, but I did it anyway. :D

In the final analysis, though, my problem turned out to be hardware. I should have listened to my error message. The power was plugged in on the card, to be sure, but said power cable had a loose connection at the other end. When I fixed that, my "software problems" vanished.

On the plus side, I learned a lot about rpm, how the system boots and LILO. Getting the 5336 driver was unnecessary and frustrating, but at least now I do have the latest driver.

Thanks to all for your help and patience.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic