what PDA would you recommend?

coverup

I'm thinking of getting a PDA, HP iPAC and Palm Zire... I suppose there is software to synchronize a PDA with Mandrake (kpilot?). Does it work well with WinCE or Palm OS? Which OS is better supported and more stable? Do you guys have any experience with handhelds? A good advise is appreciated....

You cannot sync a WinCE device with Linux I'm afraid... (having several CE-devices myself)

If I should by a device now, I would buy the Palm Tungsten W. I borrowed it for a week to write a review for PDA Norway (my website) and loved it. I'm seriousely considering selling my CE-devices and buy this one, because today I only can sync at work (where I use w2k).

I have a Tungsten T3, which is nice (good screen, fast and easy to use). I haven't tried to sync it in Linux yet, but at least the older Palms used to work fine with Linux.

At least in the old days, the CE devices were very battery-hungry. The Palms could go forever without needing a re-charge.

If I would buy a PDA myself, I would like to try a Sharp Zaurus.

/Kenneth

Edited by kkrekula

I have spent a lot of time experimenting with PDAs and Linux - so I almost feel like some kind of expert ;)

Despite rumours to the contrary above, you can sync Wince with evolution with fairly good results using multisync and a plugin - but it's a pig to set up.

You can also sync a Zaurus with evolution and KDE using various software - but it's also not that easy to set up and it doesn't sync perfectly (neither does the wince one)

I finally settled on a Sony Clie NX80V - which syncs with Jpilot flawlessly and probably KDE pim apps and evolution.

To sync with Linux Palm is definately the way to go - ironically a zaurus doesn't sync all that well I'm afraid

As far as quality of the PDAs to use - they are all very good products indeed and it's a matter of choice. I do like Palm now that I'm using my Clie, but I also think Wince and Linux(I ran familiar with Opie) are good. Wince has the best To do list app IMHO - but apart from that they are much of a muchness...

Zaurus is less supported in terms of third party apps/hardware than either of the others...

Edited by phunni

Thanks to all replied. Indeed I am hoping to get a PDA that I could sync with evo, that's a point of getting it:). What kind of (typical) problem should I expect?

Let me then ask this question: is it possible to go a usual way - blow WinCE/Palm away and install a Linix distro, or even better, have a dual boot?

I've personally stuck to PocketPC/WinCE devices. At this time, they are more flexible when it comes to applications and accessories. However, syncing is another issue. I have been able to get synce going on RH9.0, so I can transfer files, but not PIM syncing. With my Toshiba E740 I don't need to connect to my linux box as I transfer through WiFi.

As well, there is a growing project out there to allow a linux distro on HP Ipaqs. Goto 'handhelds.org' to see the status. From the screenshots, it look even better than Palm or WinCE. I just need to find an Ipaq that is cheap enough to take the risk and put Linux on it.

Let me cast my vote here.

Get a sharp Zaurus sl-5500, NOT the 5600, the 5500 is better.

Get it, install the openZaurus ROM, probably version 3.3.5, and install the 64/0 memory split version and get a good 128mb or 256mb SD card for storage.

You'll be happier and they're realy cheap on ebay. Of course, if you didn't know, they run linux.

You cannot sync a WinCE device with Linux I'm afraid... (having several CE-devices myself)

Bullshit!You can sync WinCE devices with Linux using synce: http://synce.sourceforge.net/synce/

Anyway, Palm is best supported and devices running Familiar Linux with Opie are highly recommended. I find that most of the newer mobile phones do everything that a PDA was traditionally used for, and most of them are 'free' with a contract. The Sony-Ericsson's are awesome.

I have a SE T610, I sync it with Evolution using Multisync with the IrMC plugin, an Epox Bluetooth dongle and I transfer files with Gnome-Obex-Server (bluetooth).

Palm is by far the best supported - you can install linux on an Ipaq or you can use a Zaurus, but neither of them will sync as well as palm - simple as that (although the syncing is not bad...)

I have tried a linux PDA, a wince PDA and now have a palm and it's easily the best. Syncing is flawless which cannot (quite yet) be said for the others

Bullshit!You can sync WinCE devices with Linux using synce: http://synce.sourceforge.net/synce/

Anyway, Palm is best supported and devices running Familiar Linux with Opie are highly recommended. I find that most of the newer mobile phones do everything that a PDA was traditionally used for, and most of them are 'free' with a contract. The Sony-Ericsson's are awesome.

I have a SE T610, I sync it with Evolution using Multisync with the IrMC plugin, an Epox Bluetooth dongle and I transfer files with Gnome-Obex-Server (bluetooth).

For the record, I have tried with two different PPC's to get even basic sync functionality with a total of 80 or 90 hours at my keyboard, and totaly failed.

The project is still in early beta and for most people it requires a HUGE amount of work, including a custom kernal to get it to work at all, and I never did.

On the other hand, the total time required to install a custom rom for the sharp Zaurus sl-5500 and set up a complete USBnetworking connection and set up desktop sync software for linux and set up Unison for File sync is a Total of about 15 minutes.

Veedub, I agree...I have been able to sync with my PPC, but just some files and if I spent another number of hours, I may have been able to sync the calendar (I believe).

Unfortunately, the business world isn't capable of seeing the benefits of Linux. :angry: As such, at work our desktops are all M$ and hence every I need to sync with is on M$. I sincerely hope that this will change.

At home I personally don't do anything if it isn't done on Linux. :thumbs: