10.0 Beta

cardassianscot

/etc/modules.preload or something like that. it's like the old /etc/modules. Anything in there is attempted. Then there's a modules<something> directory for configuring stuff like alsa. After making changes a command has to be run for the changes to really take effect. Kinda like lilo....I know.....great huh? It's seems like a pain at first but once you get it, you'll see how much smarter it is compared to the old way. It's takes after the debian smart modules method (I call it) which is why I was already familiar with it somewhat.

for kernel-source use the 2.6.0 or 2.6 I guess. I was vanilla. I don't mess with buggy mdk kernels anymore.

bvc, thanks for checking.

pmpatrick, modules are handled differently, not with /etc/modules and /etc/modules.conf,

but with respectively /etc/modprobe.preload and /etc/modprobe.conf. Also look at /etc/modprobe.devfs for interest.

Hope this helps; I just noticed that one time I was checking 2.6...

Thanks aRTee, I'll check it out tonight if I have time.

Edit: Well, editing /etc/modprobe.conf worked for my nic; eth0 comes up when I boot. However, still having problems getting the sound card module to load. Sometimes it loads fine; other times it doesn't load at all with no error messages during boot, like it's not even there in modprobe.conf. I'll fiddle around with it a little more and try and see what's happening. Thanks again for your help.

Edited by pmpatrick

USB not working during installation is one of the known issues, but my firewire cdrom wasn't recognized either. i added the same modules i always needed for 9.0, 9.1 and 9.2 to no avail (those are: ieee1394, ohci1394, sbp2). i really wanted to try out 10.0 but I'll have to wait a bit longer, i guess :)

/etc/modules.preload or something like that. it's like the old /etc/modules. Anything in there is attempted. Then there's a modules<something> directory for configuring stuff like alsa. After making changes a command has to be run for the changes to really take effect. Kinda like lilo....I know.....great huh? It's seems like a pain at first but once you get it, you'll see how much smarter it is compared to the old way. It's takes after the debian smart modules method (I call it) which is why I was already familiar with it somewhat.

for kernel-source use the 2.6.0 or 2.6 I guess. I was vanilla. I don't mess with buggy mdk kernels anymore.

installed 10-beta1 last night with cd1 and cooked the rest. I need to revise what I said earlier a bit and I'm sure more will come as I hack this thing.

kernel-source? you're rt. Since there's no kernel-source-2.6.2 or 1, we're screwed. What kind of crap is that? Oh well was gonna do the vanilla anyway.

There's not a /etc/modulesanything dir and no command to run after changing /etc/modprobe.preload. Guess I was thinking of gentoo? debian? I d/k.

I have the sb16pci and use alsa snd-ens1371. Sound was horrible at first til I found in alsamixergui that EICbla95 or whatever was enabled.

devfs=mount was in lilo and sysfs wasn't in fstab though it was mounting. After changing to devfs=nomount>chkconfig devfsd off and adding sysfs to fstab harddrake reconfigured my dvd and cdrw and now there screwy. So I'll have to figure that one out. Easily fixed with reversing but I'd rather have it working correctly. I have 2.6.2 so I'll look for al these mods tonight.

Edited by bvc

USB not working during installation is one of the known issues, but my firewire cdrom wasn't recognized either.  i added the same modules i always needed for 9.0, 9.1 and 9.2 to no avail (those are: ieee1394, ohci1394, sbp2).  i really wanted to try out 10.0 but I'll have to wait a bit longer, i guess :)

Did you add them to /etc/modprobe.preload ? because they are there.

[root@localhost 2.6.2-0.rc2.1mdk]# find . -type f -name sbp2*
./kernel/drivers/ieee1394/sbp2.ko.gz
[root@localhost 2.6.2-0.rc2.1mdk]# find . -type f -name ieee1394*
./kernel/drivers/ieee1394/ieee1394.ko.gz
[root@localhost 2.6.2-0.rc2.1mdk]# find . -type f -name ohci1394*
./kernel/drivers/ieee1394/ohci1394.ko.gz
[root@localhost 2.6.2-0.rc2.1mdk]#

Edited by bvc

I installed the updated kernel and kernel source mentioned by bvc and the three lirc modules that aRTee mentioned are definetly listed in the 3dparty stuff. Also installed the new nvidia drivers which worked perfectly. Haven't had a chance to put the new kernel through it's paces yet.