HPLIP missing a scanext.lai file [SOLVED]

banjo

My old printer died, so I got a new one. HP 3510. I am still running Mandy 2010.2, so the new printer has no driver in the OS.

I downloaded and compiled the latest HPLIP, 3.13.3. When I make install, I get the error message:

libtool: install: /usr/bin/install -c .libs/scanext.lai /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/scanext.la
/usr/bin/install: cannot stat `.libs/scanext.lai': No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [install-scanextLTLIBRARIES] Error 1

Sure enough, there is no scanext.lai in the hplip-3.13.3 directory. There is a scanext.la in there, but no scanext.lai.

What is this file, and how do I create/procure one so that I can install this driver? Can I just copy scanext.la into scanext.lai? It appears that is what the installer is doing.

Thanks

Banjo

(_)=='=~

Edited by banjo

When you extracted hplip, I expect it is here already. I googled this and found someone said he had to copy it from hplip-3.13.3 to hplip-3.13.3/.libs/ to get it to work. Perhaps try this.

From my google search:

Question #56866 : Questions : HPLIP

answers.launchpad.net › HPLIP › Questions

Jan 9, 2009 – Bevore compiling I have to copy scanext.la from /tmp/hplip-2.8.12 to /tmp/hplip-2.8.12/.libs and make a copy as scanext.lai. ... to determine if a distro supplied package (.deb, .rpm, etc) or an already built HPLIP supplied tarball ...

Ian,

It is good to see that you are still watching this forum.

I looked for scanext.lai and there was no one to be found. So I copied scanext.la into .libs/scanext.lai and repeated the installation, and it went in error free.

I logged out and back in and used the Mandriva Control Center to install the printer from the network, and all is well. It found the printer and the driver.

I still do not know the relationship between the .la file and the .lai file, but the installer seems to just copy the .lai into an equivalent .la on the system, so I took a shot.

The printer and scanner now both work.

Thanks for the help.

Banjo

(_)=='=~