[solved]Mageia 2.0 kernel update

M_R

Hi people. I have a question: I am using Mageia 2.0 and am very happy with it. However, I see a new kernel update:

kernel-server-3.4.32-2.mga2 - Linux Kernel for server use with i686 & 64GB RAM​ 

kernel-server-latest - Virtual rpm for latest kernel-server​ 

kernel-userspace-headers - Linux kernel header files for userspace​ 

kmod - Kernel modules management tools​ 

But I am extremely afraid of installing it because I don't want to screw up the system. Especially since I saw a warning somewhere on this forum stating that there were problems with updates. Also, I'd like to know if updating the kernel will still allow me to use the previous kernel.

Finally, I would also like to know why I ended up with a server kernel after installation.

Thank you

Edited by M_R

If you installed a 32bit version and have 4GB or more of ram kernel-server is installed to take full advantage of the ram.

Installing the new kernel is not a problem as the old kernel is not removed and can be booted if you have problems with the new one.

Ken

• 1 month later...

If you installed a 32bit version and have 4GB or more of ram kernel-server is installed to take full advantage of the ram.

Installing the new kernel is not a problem as the old kernel is not removed and can be booted if you have problems with the new one.

Ken

Allright. Sorry for the delay but had to work over one month in Windows so didn't have time to try this. I'll update, cross my fingers and let you know what happens (yikes).

• 2 months later...