one laptop - different networks

Trio3b

This should be simple but.... search always turns up posts and howtos regarding access point roaming within the same network or using different wifi adapters or other complicated dhcp, DNS stuff.

I want one laptop with the same wifi adapter (internal) to connect to :

1. Home net (wpa pre-share key)

2. Library net (open)

3. coffee shop net (open)

4 friends net (wep- password)

(obviously not at the same time) whenever I go there. Seems I have to delete the interface and re-enter each network's configuration in network center or in tray icon as I move from one network to the next over the course of several days. i might not go to coffee shop for two weeks or Library for a month but I want the connection there when I need it.

Doesn't drakconnect have a profile saved somewhere? Once I set up each network I would like it that whenever the network I want shows up I can just click on it and it connects me? Am I missing something simple?

Thanks

Edited by Trio3b

I'm still using Mandriva 2008.1 on my laptop and it works the way you say you want.

I just right click on the wifi icon and mouse over "Wireless connections" in the pop-up menu which then shows all connections within range I then click on the desired one.

I only have to enter a key or password the first time I connect to a network which requires one and the system remembers it for next time.

Ken

This should be simple but.... search always turns up posts and howtos regarding access point roaming within the same network or using different wifi adapters or other complicated dhcp, DNS stuff.

I want one laptop with the same wifi adapter (internal) to connect to :

1. Home net (wpa pre-share key)

2. Library net (open)

3. coffee shop net (open)

4 friends net (wep- password)

(obviously not at the same time) whenever I go there. Seems I have to delete the interface and re-enter each network's configuration in network center or in tray icon as I move from one network to the next over the course of several days. i might not go to coffee shop for two weeks or Library for a month but I want the connection there when I need it.

Doesn't drakconnect have a profile saved somewhere? Once I set up each network I would like it that whenever the network I want shows up I can just click on it and it connects me? Am I missing something simple?

Thanks

I'm still using Mandriva 2008.1 on my laptop and it works the way you say you want.

I just right click on the wifi icon and mouse over "Wireless connections" in the pop-up menu which then shows all connections within range I then click on the desired one.

I only have to enter a key or password the first time I connect to a network which requires one and the system remembers it for next time.

Ken

That did not seem to be working for me. That's what I get for having a netbook (tiny font). Did not see the "setup network profiles" in MCC> internet and networking. Apparently you connect and name the profile and it saves the configuration for that particular setup similar to what you describe. Am going to check this out for the next week or so then mark solved if it fixes issue.

Thanks

Trio3b, you did not specify the version of Mandriva you're using.

I still have a Mandriva 2008 laptop, but my experience is very different from the K Bergen's. Since day one, I have always had problems with Mandriva being unable to connect to WiFi. E.g., I recently changed the router, and am no longer able to browse the web, even though ifconfig and network manager shows that the laptop is connected to the new router. In fact I tried 3 different router brands, and had no success with either or them. Surprisingly, Ubuntu 8.04 on the same laptop has no issues with connecting to any networks I tried so far, including the new router. If I recall correctly, there was a bug in the original 2008 scripts which prevented connecting to WPA2 wireless networks. Someone provided a script to add WPA2 capability. Maybe if you search around you will find it.

Among the latest distros, Mandriva 2011 was the only distribution which had issues with connecting to my home network when I was shopping for a distro to install on a new laptop. Eventually, I had no choice but ditch Mandriva for Ubuntu after 10+ years of using Mandrake/Mandriva exclusively as the main OS.

Trio3b, you did not specify the version of Mandriva you're using.

Sorry, I had been using MDV 2008.1 for many years and never figured this out. As far as connectivity issues, I had it (mdv 2005/2008.1) on numerous hdwr and it generally seemed to be dependent on the specific hdwr although I am a desktop user and had little use for w/l until recently.

Currently running pclos 2012.12 and I had never any need for w/l until I loaded it onto a netbook, but as mentioned, font is so tiny on these devices, I missed the "network profiles" configuration in the Control Center.

Apparently, if you configure (in MCC) your hdwr to connect in the net and internet "add a new connection" then connect, then go to "profiles" and add the current configuration, it will save it until the next time the hdwr "sees" that network and will either autoconnect or if not you can open the MCC/PCC and activate that profile.

This is mandatory when using WEP or WPA due to password requirements. However, it appears that if you have at least ONE open network configuration saved in these profiles, then the device should pick up ANY open network and drakconnect should display that in the tray. Am still evaluating all these assumptions and will post back when confirmed.

Thanks

Seems I have to delete the interface and re-enter each network's configuration in network center or in tray icon as I move from one network to the next over the course of several days. i might not go to coffee shop for two weeks or Library for a month but I want the connection there when I need it.

Doesn't drakconnect have a profile saved somewhere?

WiFi network profiles are saved somewhere (don't remember where - if you poke arounf /etc/, you will find them). Nonetheless the problem you describe is precisely the problem I have with MDV2008. Every time I come home from work, I have to configure WiFi interface over again. Even when a network is shown in drakconect, it is always a pain to connect.