Firefox problem after update

M_R

Hello people.

I have a problem with mandriva 2010 and the latest Firefox. I am having the infamous can't start xpcom error described here:

I have googled for many solutions, but none has worked. The only thing I could do was downgrade to firefox 17 and it works perfectly. Has anyone encountered this problem? Does this mean that my version of xulrunner must be updated? Won't it break the system? Where do I update it? Should I give up on updating firefox? I thought it was self-contained and depended on no external libraries (I use the firefox you download from Mozilla, not Mandriva's. It is still installed but I don't use it).

We'd need to see the actual error message so that we could try and get it working. Perhaps its a problem with the libraries missing something, this can be checked with ldd command. Anyway, post the actual error, and perhaps we can help.

Sorry. I forgot to add the error description...

This is the error:

XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /home/frank/firefox/libxpcom.so:

libxul.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Couldn't load XPCOM.

The many solutions I have found involve updating the distro's xulrunner packages. But I am not using Mandriva's Firefox but the official compressed file you download from the Mozilla.

OK, so what you can do now, is from the command line go to /home/frank/firefox, and run ldd on libxpcom.so, something like this:

ian@jasiek:/usr/lib/firefox$ ldd libxpcom.so
linux-vdso.so.1 =>  (0x00007fff2b3ff000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f7f7a8b6000)
libxul.so => not found
libnspr4.so => /usr/lib/libnspr4.so (0x00007f7f7a679000)
libplc4.so => /usr/lib/libplc4.so (0x00007f7f7a474000)
libplds4.so => /usr/lib/libplds4.so (0x00007f7f7a270000)
libmozalloc.so => not found
libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x00007f7f7a06b000)
libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0x00007f7f79d57000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x00007f7f79ad3000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00007f7f798bc000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x00007f7f79536000)
/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f7f7acf8000)

from my example, as you can see libxul.so not found, but would be nice to see what yours says, so for completeness:

cd /home/frank/firefox
ldd libxpcom.so

and post the output here. Maybe we need to install some package. It doesn't matter which version of Firefox, you need the libraries under /usr/lib, and this is what we're missing.

Incidently with mine I made a symlink:

cd /usr/lib
ln -s xulrunner-1.9.2.28/libxul.so libxul.so

this made a symlink in /usr/lib for libxul.so and then when I do the ldd commmand again, you can see mine now reports libxul as OK.

root@jasiek:/usr/lib/firefox# ldd libxpcom.so 
linux-vdso.so.1 =>  (0x00007fff16bff000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f3b8f49d000)
libxul.so => /usr/lib/libxul.so (0x00007f3b8de62000)

So if you do the same, it should work and not cause the error. Otherwise, post the output from my previous post, so we can then decide what to do to fix it.

I also found other errors in mine, fixed like this:

cd /usr/lib
ln -s xulrunner-1.9.2.28/libmozjs.so 
ln -s firefox/libmozalloc.so

but anyway my Firefox is with my distro, but at least we can do the same with yours and see what happens.

I tried linking the file as you suggested. At first, the library didn't appear (it said not found, like in your example). I used the ln command and now it does appear, but now firefox throws a different error saying that it "can't load XRE extensions". It seems that firefox is definitely dead for mandriva 2010, right????

At the moment I'm using Firefox 17. This one does work. I guess I'll have to update the entire distro simply because of a browser... :(

No, not dead, just that we need to fix the library problems and perhaps then it will work. Please post any additional errors, then I can look at posting other ways of fixing the rest.

Sorry. I forgot to add the error description...

This is the error:

XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /home/frank/firefox/libxpcom.so:

libxul.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Couldn't load XPCOM.

The many solutions I have found involve updating the distro's xulrunner packages. But I am not using Mandriva's Firefox but the official compressed file you download from the Mozilla.

I got the same error with firefox on Mandy 2010 (MCNLive), do you have a link for firefox 17 (tar.bz2) so in the meantime i can keep using firefox on my netbook

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. Sorry I updated to Mageia and totally forgot about this problem. I was unable to fix it. The only option was to download version 17 from here https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/

Looks like it's time to forget about Mandriva 2010 for me. I'm happy with Mageia, but not too happy with the latest Mandriva.