PCLinuxOS

I downloaded it. Checked the md5sums to make sure their good. It works on my AMD800mhz Desktop. It does not boot with my HP ze5185 Laptop. Just a blank screen.

I tried a few different things

acpi=on nolapic

splash=silent

acpi=off

nousb

tried different resolutions and stuff still nogo. I tried to wait about 10 minitues then Cntrl+Shift+F2) but it was a nogo. Doesnt seem to boot at all. Anyone else have thuis trouble?

The last one (pre4 I thuink) worked no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

gonna stray a bit off topic here, but it'll all tie together in the end......

i tried pclinuxos out over the weekend. check out my sig for the computer i tried it on. i was quite impressed with it, especially for such a new "live" distro. i have been playing with some live distros in hopes of turning on some of my linux skeptical friends away from MS. so far, i've tried out of linux-bbc, knoppix, & pclinuxos. while all of them worked, i still think knoppix is the best choice to try to convert non believers. some comparisons/reasons through my tests.....

boot times:

knoppix-3 minutes

linux-bbc-3 minutes

pclinuxos-5 minutes

ease of booting:

knoppix-just hit enter, choose DE, bingo

linux-bbc-just hit enter, choose DE, bingo

pclinuxos-just hit enter, get a root or guest login/password prompt, take several minutes to figure out the the root password is "root" & guest password is "guest" (no help docs with this). once you figure out how to login, choose DE, bingo

boot messages:

knoppix-no errors, detected everything

linux-bbc-didn't detect eht0 or sound card

pclinuxos-didn't detect eth0 or sound card

sound:

knoppix-sound was working out of the box

linux-bbc-needed to run sndconfig

pclinoxos-needed to run sndconfig

internet: (note: this is using adsl)

knoppix-click internet configuration from the kicker apps, follow the wizard, everything detected & up in running in a minute

linx-bbc-click internet configuration, played with it for several minutes, couldn't get eth0 detected properly, couldn't connect, gave up after several minutes due to lack of time. i'll try again later.

pclinuxos-first realize that it uses MDK's MCC, then you know to use DrakConnect, manually add your isp & eth0 info, type adsl-start as root in terminal.....several minutes, with the caveat being that you already know about DrakConnect

ease of use/layout:

all of these were very intuitive as to layout & being able to find things. i used a KDE environment in each, so that may have been an advantage since i'm a KDE user. but, even without that edge, it's all basically like a basic Windows layout.......desktop with labeled icons, toolbar with quick links to apps, kicker/start button with all the apps in easy to maneuver sub catagories.

ok, so i went a bit off topic here. basically, pclinuxos is very nice & shows lot's of promise, IMHO. i'll give it the benefit of the doubt for being in the new stages right now. BUT......... given the fact that i had to have some knowledge of Linux in order to get pclinxos up & running (internet & sound wise) vs. knoppix being able to handle everything automatically, i give the nod to Knoppix for anyone trying to convert the unfaithful.

Chris

Edited by chris z

Ouch! For me pclos is the only livcd that has found and configure all. Just like any distro this is the case, to each his own....experience.

....and umm...if you haven't set up users/passwords but it was done to be universal for all the boot the cd, what else could the passwords be for root and guest be? :huh:

Given that it is still under development it shows great promise. Even with a few glitches, it is what Mandrake should have produced in the first place. I will wait before rendering an opinion until the final edition is released as Texstar has asked OSNews to do and they have agreed.

Counterspy

To be fair were comparing a release 3.3 with a late beta here so its not entirely fair.

However my experience of knoppix is that the hardware detection is unbelievable. Ive tried it on several awkward machines and its faultless!!

Mandrake hardware detection has always been shaky... (Im just telling it like I see it here) .... for my slightly awkward machines and a few things have always defeated me like PCMCIA on my laptop .... even recompiling the kernel and taking out kernel PCMCIA etc... and the only way I ever got it to boot was by not starting PCMCIA.

(It was wifi that finally pushed me....)

Even a standard Mandy install (up to 9.1 the last time I checked) shows PCMCIA to come up AFTER network. This is one of those things that you have to wonder that whoever actually wrote the init.d script and the rc scripts actually thought youd be using it for??? (SCSI perhaps or whatever??)

So texstar has a lot of work just correcting the standard Mandrake without thinking about the whole live thing...

Its one thing to make your own live CD which works for your hardware but another to make one for everyones hardware!!!

When you look at both texstar and knoppix as one man bands its incredible that they could do this!!! Im in AWE !!!

just to clarify my position a bit, so it isn't misconstrued as a slam on Texstar.......

i was in awe, also, as to how well PCLinuxOS & Knoppix worked. and, i do realize that Knoppix is way ahead of PCLinuxOS, developement wise. so, you're correct, i guess it wasn't really fair to compare the 2 just yet.

but....... i hope Texstar does get PCLinuxOS to detect hardware & get the internet configuration a bit more automatic. my reason being is this......

if i'm gonna try to convince my Windows user friends to give Linux a test run, i want it to be as easy & as painless an experience as possible. i also realize that installing a full blown Linux distro, any distro.....no matter how user friendly.....will involve some setup & tweaking. but........ at this stage, i just know i can give somebody a Knoppix CD, tell them to hit "enter" at the prompt, choose "configure internet" when the DE loads, & have them on their way to explore the wonders of Linux. with PCLinuxOS (at this stage), i can't do that. and, that would be enough to make most of the Windows users (that i know, at least) start grumbling & not wanting to go much further with Linux. or, they'd be on the phone calling me crying that their internet don't work, i can't hear sound, blah, blah, blah.

so, to summorize, both Knoppix & PCLinuxOS are excellent live distros. both work wonderfully, both are works of art (IMHO), but Knoppix gets the nod (right now) to use as a tool for conversion to Linux for the non believers.

:D

Chris

chris_Z

Im right with ya....

The main benefit of Mandrake is actually here....

Mandrake's best feature

oops sorry....

Seriously I agree 100%. Its so simple you wonder why everyone doesn't do it!!!

Even the wifi works the same, if you configure a card it checks its wifi and then starts the wifi config parameters..... attention to detail is just amazing!!!

To chime in.. even though knoppix is wonderful on hardware detection, it loses something to pclinuxos in one big thing.

Winmodem

PClinuxos includes the most common winmodem drivers while knoppix includes none. I mean.. what good is hardware detection, if they cannot use it.

Yeah yeah yeah.. I know.. you guys live in super duper nations where broadband is available just around the corner.. but what about us who live in a not-so-advanced nations?

This is why, I use knoppix primarily for rescue disk while pclinuxos more as a desktop demo.

good point DragonMage.......

as i said, i only tried these with DSL, so i didn't think of how they might handle settings for you poor, pitiful dial up users. :P

Chris