URGENT: NEED HELP RECOVERING FILES [solved]

M_R

Hello everybody. I really need your help this time:

I accidentally cast rm -rf in my home directory. Luckily, I managed to stop it quickly. The problem is that I lost three important things:

1 - My .thunderbird folder. I REALLY NEED THIS BACK.

2 - My developed software. I REALLY NEED THIS. I do have a backup of this one, but it's a few days ol and I don't wanna code all that again.

Can you help me with this please? I'm running Mandriva 2010 and I have tried scalpel, ddrescue, photorec, and magicrescue. Only photorec has yielded results. PLease, can you give me a hand. Data deleted via rm -rf doesn't go to a recycle bin or something?

Edited by M_R

Have you tried testdisk? It might be able to help. Photorec is part of the testdisk program, so if you have this installed, testdisk should be there somewhere. If not, you can download it and use it to try and recover.

• Upvote 1

Have you tried testdisk? It might be able to help. Photorec is part of the testdisk program, so if you have this installed, testdisk should be there somewhere. If not, you can download it and use it to try and recover.

Hi Ian. You're great. Always saving my behind! It is working. I have managed to recover a few things.

Question1: can testdisk recover folders?

Question2: can I have photorec or testdisk recover the files with their former names? I'm getting an incredible amount of very old files and their names are too cryptic.

Question3: if not, can I have any of htose two recover only the files modified in the last 24 hours?

Photorec is data carving, it doesn't care what the filesystem is, it looks at the sectors on the disk, and gives you random filenames. Testdisk is what you want if you want to recover with the filenames. Testdisk should be able to recover files and directories/folders from what I remember.

• Upvote 1

EXCELENT Ian!!! You really saved my behind this time. Testdisk worked like a charm! I recovered all the files except for an icon for my program. But that's OK, I saved everything thanks to you!!!

You were right: testdisk does recover the folder structure. Photorec comes with testdisk and they are not very difficult to use, although the lack of GUI is daunting at first.

Thank you very much for your help, you saved me years of software development.

A year or so back I successfully used photorec to recover pictures on a cameras' memory card which I had screwed up somehow and could not get back any other way.

I thought they were gone for good.

Both programs are the tops.

Cheers. John.

A year or so back I successfully used photorec to recover pictures on a cameras' memory card which I had screwed up somehow and could not get back any other way.

I thought they were gone for good.

Both programs are the tops.

Cheers. John.

Yep, definitively, it's just that they look a little intimidating without a GUI, but it's OK.