ASUS 1215B laptop - suspend/resume + other issues

CxOrg

Most things work nicely on this little laptop with the AMD brazos e450 processor/GPU.

The thing which has always proved troublesome is suspend to ram. Suspend works but it would never wake up requiring the battery to be removed to get it going again. Suspend to disk always worked fine.

Hoping that updates from AMD/ATI for the video driver or new kernels would eventually solve it. I now have a MIB sourced kernel http://mib.pianetalinux.org/MIB/2011.0/32/projects/kernels/3.1.6/ and the latest ATI driver http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/amd-driver-installer-12-2-x86.x86_64.run which work really well making for a pretty reasonable video and desktop performance with all the KDE plasma effects and animations.

However suspend/resume still did not want to play? I tried re-compiling the kernel which for a brief moment seemed to allow suspend/resume having read this solved someone's resume problem from one source.

Finding a comprehensive guide for Suse linux which explains all you need to know about pm-utils and s2ram - http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Suspend_to_RAM and here http://old-en.opensuse.org/Pm-utils

Testing to find the best parameters to use with the Asus 1215B and ATI video driver I settled for s2ram -f -a 2

To make it work with the keyboard and power saving system I added this file /etc/pm/config.d/modules containing a single config line:

S2RAM_OPTS="-f -a 2"

set the permissions to 755

So far this works OK.

I'll have to test against some other kernel(s) and use suspend to ram daily to see if it breaks?

Edited by CxOrg

Current contents of my /etc/pm/config.d/modules

SLEEP_MODULE="uswsusp"
S2RAM_OPTS="-f -a 2"
SUSPEND_MODULES="button uhci_hcd"

Now sleeping with Fn + Zz keys and lid close seems to work. Waking with short press of power button seems the most reliable.

Again testing in real use will prove if there is more work to do or not.

Edited by CxOrg

Looks like there is more to this story!

Most of my testing so far has been at my desk where I tend to use an Ethernet connection. Sleeping with wireless connected causes more failures which of course is the likely scenario for a laptop. Disabling networking in the Networkmanager applet before suspending is a work around for this.

I'll check the shutdown scenario scripts for lid close Fn+Zz key etc to see if we can add a network shutdown line and then add a re-enable on wake up.

It looks like all this can be done in the pm-utils file which is now simplified and the only file in the config.d folder. I removed 2 others which contained suspend_modules commands for "ndiswrapper" and "rt73usb' neither of which feature in my modules list (lsmod).

File "modules" now with contents:

SLEEP_MODULE="uswsusp"
S2RAM_OPTS="-f -a 2"
SUSPEND_MODULES="rfkill xhci_hcd button bluetooth"

xhci_hcd controls USB 3.0 and button controls fglrx the video driver. These modules when suspended should suspend the state of USB 3.0 and fglrx video then restart them on resume.

I've added rfkill and bluetooth which seems to improve the closedown of wireless "bluetooth" seems to improve the recovery of bluetooth and reconnection of a BT mouse.

Testing will prove if it is 100% reliable. I'm sticking to Fn +Zz to suspend and the power button to resume for now to be consistent, though lid close seems to work OK to suspend and the space bar wakes most of the time.

One thing I've noticed is the centre of the base of the laptop remains warm when suspended and kept in a laptop sleeve. This must show some battery drain, probably to RAM which must not be in its lowest power mode so suspend would not last too long. I was used to suspend working for days with my old Samsung NC20. This may well be something to investigate. It may well be some other module which is at fault?

Please contribute your experiences to make this work 100%.

Edited by CxOrg

Some other issues:

Bluetooth:

For some reason in Mandriva 2011 it was decided to replace Bluez with Bluedevil as the Bluetooth stack and application. I had been used to bluez working very well with Blueman as the user interface. Bluedevil certainly did not work well with the 1215B bluetooth when I first tried it on installing Mandriva 2011 as it could not scan and detect any devices. Removing Bluedevil and then installing the bluez software stack followed by blueman solved this and Blueman provides most features anyone might need.

I have been using a bluetooth mouse which is convenient but the wakeup from sleep can be slow to start and requires switching off and on to get it going. It may well be the mouse which is at fault as it is often the same with XP. Using a 2.4 Ghz band mouse and USB dongle works much better as it literally appears to the PC as a USB mouse. This means it does not need to maintain the comms stack and radio connection in software as with Bluetooth.

As an experiment I now tried removing Bluez again and replacing with the Bluedevil BT stack. This seems to work well so some bugs must have been fixed. I also works happily under Blueman which still provides the best user interface and control features.

Removing the last library of bluez I encountered problems with many dependencies with plasma elements.

Using:

rpm -e libbluez3 --nodeps

Allows removal without upheaval in the Plasma desktop. Then add the essential part of Bluedevil, Suspend and resume seems good as well with the mouse recovering more reliably. Bluedevil uses some of Bluez so it is not a completely new development.

Touchpad:

The touchpad showed some erratic behaviour particularly when on battery which made it unusable making an external mouse essential. This is in fact a hardware defect caused by a ground connection to the touchpad backplane. Since we don't have any driver update which XP/7 users report fixes this the backplane should be isolated. There are a number of guides online to do this. A good guide to start with is http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disassemble-asus-eee-pc-1215b-laptop/ then identify the conductive foam pad or wire link and disconnect/isolate it with something insulating. Then all normal touchpad features and additional gesture features work OK.

Edited by CxOrg

Waiting for a working version of the newest kernel 3.2.13 http://mib.pianetalinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3226'>http://mib.pianetalinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3226

The current blog build status at http://mib.pianetalinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3226 tells us to wait till they sort out some module problems.

Trying one of these builds fails to add fglrx (video), the sound driver module and networking so it is not usable for now.

• 2 months later...

Some time has passed since my last update:

In that time I've re-installed Mandriva 2011 but this time the 64bit version. This is mostly straightforward loading from a USB drive. The effort has been worth it as I can now use all the 4Gb of RAM and the general operation is smoother and probably quicker since full use is made of the processor and graphics.

On install select custom partition configuration to select the root /, /home, and if you have it a /usr or /usr/share partition. Avoid re-formatting your /home partition so most of your desktop, data and application settings will be preserved. I use /usr/share as a partition since it holds most of the applications you may install. You will have to re-install all the applications except Windows apps which run under Wine. We are now in a 64 bit environment! It is important to add the standard repositories and PLF repos to start with. There will be a lot of updates. persist with this till everything is installed. Do the libraries last and proceed carefully to install the correct release version. If there are difficulties you may have to enable the backports repos to resolve some installs. Only enable these to install a particular package then disable. It is much safer! Install the given version of FGLRX (DKMS module) for ATI video. This will get updated later but at least it is installed. Configure the desktop effects to use OpenGL if you want the full cube desktop transitions.

Add the MIB repositories (Ignore the Russian but choose MIB). Again update until done. This will include the latest FGLRX (video). NSS security may give you problems. Here you may be obliged to re-install nss security (3 packages) and a number of applications which depend on them. Note down which as they should also be re-installed. I think it was Firefox, Pidgin, Thunderbird and knetwork manager (networkmanager) and it's plasma panel. Getting the latest NSS security will allow installation of the latest Firefox and Thunderbird.

Next we can upgrade the kernel I've used the netbook kernel in MIB's online repos. This is the latest which will work with the current wireless and sound driver support. It works very nicely with suspend/resume also working with the config files below. (well most of the time!!)

Edited by CxOrg

If you want Skype you can now install it. Here you must temporarily enable the 32bit main Mandriva repository. Do not leave it enabled! as there is a risk of trashing your installation in subsequent updates. This should go OK. I use skype4pidgin (64 bit). If you start Skype first then Pidgin can use it for messaging.

The version installed via the MIB repositories or direct from Skype seem to be largely 32bit so the skype4pidgin link causes a problem and very slow plasma/kde response.

Looking round for a more 64bit version I found a Skype compilation for Fedora, this still requires some 32bit libraries (8) but works much better.

Remember to disable the 32bit repos after installation!!

Edited by CxOrg

Suspend/Resume Latest: (The best so far as of 23/10/2012)

Make sure s2ram (suspend-s2ram) is installed! I had thought that pm-utils would be taking care of suspend/resume it seems s2ram does the job nicely.

/etc/pm/config.d/modules is now:

SLEEP_MODULE="uswsusp"
S2RAM_OPTS="-f -a 1 -s"
SUSPEND_MODULES="usbcore fglrx ext4"

SUSPEND_MODULES: usbcore suspends the whole USB subsystem which helps with problems if USB devices are plugged in including the internal Bluetooth, fglrx unloads fglrx (video) and ext4 which must deal with disk access. The order of module unloading/loading seems to be important here though the reasoning is less clear! Using lsmod displays all the module names and their dependencies, which at least explains the relationships.

The suspend is now much more reliable. Including ext4 seems top have been the key to repeatable wakeup. No failures yet with this configuration using lid-close/Fn+Zz/Menu controls and space bar to wake. That should do for now. I hope these guides help?

Edited by CxOrg

• 1 month later...

As a result of some messing with the install of some plasma desktop items I damaged KDE which resulted in no borders or controls to application windows. I hoped my backups using Clonezilla would get me back to my last backup state. Unfortunately the result the partitions were recovered but it failed to recreate the GRUB boot configuration. I could have persisted with this but decided to simply re-install from my USB thumb-drive ISO (64 bit 2011).

By having a partition configuration of / /usr/share and /home I don't have to format the /home partition and so keep most of my desktop configuration. Make sure you use the same login name and all should be well.

I now have a better install with wine32 working properly as well as kdropbox and Skype.

One discovery was to use the repos as shown in MIB from here and choose 64 bit if you are using it. The given enabled repos will let you install most things.

Because I had a problem with wine's wine32 install I installed this first before any updates. Updating may take some time. You may prefer to disable the MIB repos initially until all the official versions are installed.

I installed everything from these repos except a new kernel 3.1.10 from MIB. This kernel proved quite reliable for suspend/resume especially with my latest config for suspend/resume as above.

I have 3G data working fine using a ZTE MF112. My mobile operator 3 UK decided I should have an upgrade and so sent me a Huawei E353 which they claim connects faster and supports the newer fastest speeds.

The Huawei E353 did not work straight out of the box and is a different kind of device in that it operates more like a router. It seems to provide a local network and NAT to the operator's network. This is a better security model than the simple modem style direct WAN connection.

Install usb_modeswitch from the above repos but refer to the developer's site for more information at www.draisberghof.de. should be installed to get most USB 3G devices to work. It gets round the installer (CD) drive which most 3G dongles have for Windows use. A config file will have to be added for this device so create a file /usr/share/usb_modeswitch/12d1:1f01

with the contents:

#######################################################
# Huawei E353 (3.se)
#
# Contributor: Ulf Eklund

DefaultVendor= 0x12d1
DefaultProduct=0x1f01

TargetVendor=  0x12d1
TargetProduct= 0x14db

MessageContent="55534243123456780000000000000a11062000000000000100000000000000"

# Driver is cdc_ether
NoDriverLoading=1

The contents of this come from the usb_modeswitch site and the reference file device_reference.txt.

Make sure the permissions match the other files then with the dongle inserted use: usb_modeswitch --config-file /usr/share/usb_modeswitch/12d1:1f01

The connection should now appear in Networkmanager. If not just create one under "wired" connections with DHCP and on eth2. You can name this eth2 network connection so it is easy to identify. You may well now be connected otherwise click on the connection to connect.

Now to automate this we need to add an entry in /lib/udev/rules.d/40-usb_modeswitch.rules

Add at the end of the Huawei devices another entry:

# Huawei E353
ATTRS{idVendor}=="12d1", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1f01", RUN+="usb_modeswitch '%b/%k'"

Now usb_modeswitch will set up the device when it is plugged in. And it does connect quickly and seems to get good data speeds. Great!!

Edited by CxOrg

• 3 months later...

A recent update of laptop-mode-tools seems to have made the difference allowing pm-utils to finally do its job properly.

Check you have laptop-mode-tools 1.60 or better installed. I have removed the S2RAM line to allow it to decide how it is going to run. The specific module suspends are now handled correctly so we only need to tell it the SLEEP_MODULE to use.

/etc/pm/config.d/modules is now:

SLEEP_MODULE="uswsusp"

The output of the successful pm-suspend.log file:

Initial commandline parameters: 
Sat Nov 24 14:14:31 GMT 2012: Running hooks for suspend.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/00logging suspend suspend:
Linux localhost.localdomain 3.2.18-1mdv #1 SMP Mon May 21 08:30:09 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Module                  Size  Used by
nls_iso8859_1           4641  0 
nls_cp437               6359  0 
vfat                   10615  0 
fat                    54040  1 vfat
uas                     9323  0 
usb_storage            51541  0 
fuse                   73143  3 
af_packet              27668  0 
ipt_REJECT              2360  4 
xt_comment              1040  18 
xt_tcpudp               3732  11 
ipt_LOG                 8056  5 
xt_multiport            2710  6 
xt_addrtype             3137  4 
xt_conntrack            3248  16 
xt_mark                 1323  1 
rfcomm                 66387  4 
iptable_mangle          1814  1 
iptable_nat             5518  0 
nf_nat                 22517  1 iptable_nat
nf_conntrack_ipv4      15537  19 iptable_nat,nf_nat
nf_conntrack           85009  4 xt_conntrack,iptable_nat,nf_nat,nf_conntrack_ipv4
nf_defrag_ipv4          1617  1 nf_conntrack_ipv4
bnep                   15956  2 
iptable_raw             1502  0 
nfs                   343808  0 
lockd                  81929  1 nfs
fscache                36918  1 nfs
auth_rpcgss            45540  1 nfs
lib80211_crypt_tkip     8614  0 
iptable_filter          1762  1 
nfs_acl                 2763  1 nfs
sunrpc                237495  5 nfs,lockd,auth_rpcgss,nfs_acl
wl                   2569352  0 
ip_tables              20029  4 iptable_mangle,iptable_nat,iptable_raw,iptable_filter
x_tables               25078  13 ipt_REJECT,xt_comment,xt_tcpudp,ipt_LOG,xt_multiport,xt_addrtype,xt_conntrack,xt_mark,iptable_mangle,iptable_nat,iptable_raw,iptable_filter,ip_tables
lib80211                5421  2 lib80211_crypt_tkip,wl
binfmt_misc             8140  1 
tun                    16107  0 
fglrx                3214160  388 
snd_hda_codec_realtek   215562  1 
uvcvideo               68252  0 
videodev               97299  1 uvcvideo
media                  13809  2 uvcvideo,videodev
v4l2_compat_ioctl32     9696  1 videodev
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     26289  1 
btusb                  16400  2 
usbhid                 45398  0 
hid                    89679  1 usbhid
snd_hda_intel          27893  2 
eeepc_wmi               2682  0 
asus_wmi               17052  1 eeepc_wmi
sparse_keymap           4250  1 asus_wmi
pci_hotplug            29674  1 asus_wmi
snd_hda_codec         114341  3 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep               6916  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_seq_dummy           1758  0 
joydev                 10854  0 
dm_mirror              14363  0 
dm_region_hash         11054  1 dm_mirror
dm_log                  9956  2 dm_mirror,dm_region_hash
bluetooth             252892  13 rfcomm,bnep,btusb
dm_mod                 82529  2 dm_mirror,dm_log
snd_seq_oss            30953  0 
snd_seq_midi_event      7243  1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq                56488  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device          6772  3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_pcm_oss            40974  0 
sg                     30776  0 
evdev                  10474  19 
snd_pcm                90664  4 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
xhci_hcd              134457  0 
snd_timer              23439  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_mixer_oss          16227  1 snd_pcm_oss
rfkill                 18735  4 asus_wmi,bluetooth
snd                    73218  16 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mixer_oss
i2c_piix4              11308  0 
i2c_core               31014  2 videodev,i2c_piix4
battery                11825  0 
ac                      3576  0 
video                  13188  0 
processor              31409  2 
sp5100_tco              5583  0 
wmi                    10552  1 asus_wmi
soundcore               7763  1 snd
k10temp                 3502  0 
snd_page_alloc          8628  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
button                  5500  1 fglrx
atl1c                  37505  0 
ipv6                  337898  30 
autofs4                33709  5 
ext4                  466971  3 
jbd2                   81795  1 ext4
crc16                   1691  2 bluetooth,ext4
sd_mod                 37910  5 
crc_t10dif              1547  1 sd_mod
ahci                   21132  5 
libahci                24085  1 ahci
libata                207632  2 ahci,libahci
ehci_hcd               57108  0 
ohci_hcd               31909  0 
ssb                    58157  1 ohci_hcd
usbcore               203527  9 uas,usb_storage,uvcvideo,btusb,usbhid,xhci_hcd,ehci_hcd,ohci_hcd
scsi_mod              217729  5 uas,usb_storage,sg,sd_mod,libata
mmc_core              103427  1 ssb
pcmcia                 56013  1 ssb
usb_common              1181  1 usbcore
pcmcia_core            19372  1 pcmcia
            total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       3646664    3144484     502180          0     166052    1501176
-/+ buffers/cache:    1477256    2169408
Swap:      4088504          0    4088504

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/00logging suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/00powersave suspend suspend:

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/00powersave suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/01bootloader suspend suspend:

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/01bootloader suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/06mysqld suspend suspend:
[  OK  ]
Stopping mysqld (via systemctl):  [  OK  ]

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/06mysqld suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/10network suspend suspend:
Cannot find nfs service
Configured devices:
lo eth0 eth2 wlan0
Currently active devices:
lo
Stopping network (via systemctl):  [  OK  ]

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/10network suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/15sound suspend suspend:

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/15sound suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/30pcmcia suspend suspend:

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/30pcmcia suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/40xlock suspend suspend:

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/40xlock suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/49bluetooth suspend suspend:

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/49bluetooth suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/55NetworkManager suspend suspend:
Having NetworkManager put all interaces to sleep...Done.

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/55NetworkManager suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/75modules suspend suspend:
Unloading kernel module usbcore...Done.

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/75modules suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/90clock suspend suspend:

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/90clock suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/91laptop-mode suspend suspend:

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/91laptop-mode suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/92disk suspend suspend:

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/92disk suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/94cpufreq suspend suspend:

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/94cpufreq suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/95led suspend suspend:

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/95led suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/98video-quirk-db-handler suspend suspend:
ATI Catalyst driver detected, not using quirks.

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/98video-quirk-db-handler suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video suspend suspend:

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video suspend suspend: success.
Sat Nov 24 14:14:35 GMT 2012: performing suspend
Switching from vt8 to vt1
fbcon fb0 state 1
fbcon fb0 state 0
switching back to vt8
Sat Nov 24 14:14:56 GMT 2012: Awake.
Sat Nov 24 14:14:56 GMT 2012: Running hooks for resume
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video resume suspend:

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/98video-quirk-db-handler resume suspend:

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/98video-quirk-db-handler resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/95led resume suspend:

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/95led resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/94cpufreq resume suspend:

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/94cpufreq resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/92disk resume suspend:

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/92disk resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/91laptop-mode resume suspend:
Reloading laptop-mode configuration (via systemctl):  [  OK  ]

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/91laptop-mode resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/90clock resume suspend:

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/90clock resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/75modules resume suspend:
Reloaded unloaded modules.

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/75modules resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/55NetworkManager resume suspend:
Having NetworkManager wake interfaces back up...Done.

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/55NetworkManager resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/49bluetooth resume suspend:

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/49bluetooth resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/40xlock resume suspend:

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/40xlock resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/30pcmcia resume suspend:

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/30pcmcia resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/15sound resume suspend:

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/15sound resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/10network resume suspend:
Starting network (via systemctl):  [  OK  ]
Starting network-up (via systemctl):  [  OK  ]

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/10network resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/06mysqld resume suspend:
Starting mysqld (via systemctl):  [  OK  ]

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/06mysqld resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/01bootloader resume suspend:

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/01bootloader resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/00powersave resume suspend:

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/00powersave resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/00logging resume suspend:

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/00logging resume suspend: success.
Sat Nov 24 14:15:08 GMT 2012: Finished.

It is looking very good now with many suspend/resumes working smoothly. I use the "lid close" more often though I should road test Fn+Zz as well.

Finally suspend/resume on the Asus 1215b is now working really reliably. Lets hope that is the end of this issue!!

Post here if your 1215b EeePC or Laptop with AMD E450 is helped by this last configuration?

Edited by CxOrg

3.0 + Kernel update:

I could not previously update the kernel to 3.0 or better as the Broadcom wireless kernel module would not load (link?) at boot time.

I'm now using the Linus kernel 3.2.18. This may be relevant to the suspend/resume solution above. To get it installed also involves applying a patch to get the Broadcom wireless to work again.

Go here Wireless BCM4312 3.2 kernel to find out how to patch and compile. Make sure you have the Broadcom sources and compile environment installed then it seemed to work without problems after that.

Edited by CxOrg

I experienced problems with plugged in USB/SD media failing to suspend and it seems causing a failure to resume.

By using the SUSPEND_MODULES for ehci_hd and xhci_hcd this becomes more robust. These modules control USB2 and USB3 respectively. However it may still be necessary to eject all USB drives to achieve suspend.

In addition I'm experimenting with using "kernel" as the suspend module. Keeping s2ram as a wrapper to pass video shutdown commands. The S2RAM_OPTS are absent for the moment but I will be experimenting if I have some failures.

/etc/pm/config.d/modules is now

SLEEP_MODULE="kernel"
SUSPEND_MODULES="ehci_hd xhci_hcd"

This seems a working solution and provides repeated suspend/resumes.

Edited by CxOrg