Trouble accessing SATA DVD Burner

rogerh

Hello,

I am having trouble accessing my 'new' sata DVD burner - Pioneer DVR-215d. When I put in a disk, there is no indication of media being added (the USB type indicator in the icon bar at the bottom right of the KDE screen). I was able to manually mount the burner and read a CD today (but with read only capability), so I think it is my etc/fstab which I set up via the Control Center config tool for the CD/DVD burner. Could well be that I botched the setup - I used the advanced option, and now I cannot get back to the default setting. In any case, my etc/fstab is :

for /dev/sda1 :

UUID=c62375e0-359b-4cc0-9851-50b1facfcae0 / ext4 acl,relatime 1 1

# Entry for /dev/sda6 :

UUID=f0aa3e2c-febd-4caf-a01a-f891199cf8d2 /home ext4 acl,relatime 1 2

/dev/sr0 /media/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,exec,flush 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

# Entry for /dev/sda5 :

UUID=76dfb0f9-fe29-4c1e-96ae-582e7c88d416 swap swap defaults 0 0

I'm guessing that I need to edit the /dev/sr0 line to include rw and auto (and maybe change user to users). Would this resolve my access issue? I did check write access in the advanced options of the configuration tool, as well as unchecked 'noauto', and clicked 'save to fstab', but after mounting the burner I ran 'mount' in console and it indicates ro and noauto for the burner.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. I am certainly no expert at this (obviously)......

Thanks -- Roger

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

He's not saying it's a USB drive. He's saying, optical drives, like USB drives, don't need to be in your /etc/fstab. So for the /dev/sr0 line in your /etc/fstab file, place a # at the beginning of the line and save it.

OK, sounds fair. I put a # to comment out the line for dev/sr0 /media/cdrom.

# Entry for /dev/sda1 :

UUID=c62375e0-359b-4cc0-9851-50b1facfcae0 / ext4 acl,relatime 1 1

# Entry for /dev/sda6 :

UUID=f0aa3e2c-febd-4caf-a01a-f891199cf8d2 /home ext4 acl,relatime 1 2

#/dev/sr0 /media/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=utf8,rw,noauto 0 0

/dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,exec,flush 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

# Entry for /dev/sda5 :

UUID=76dfb0f9-fe29-4c1e-96ae-582e7c88d416 swap swap defaults 0 0

I put a CD in the device, it spins a bit, and nothing happens. I went to console and entered mount cdrom, and got 'can't find cdrom in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab'. I looked in /etc/mtab, and this is what is in there :

/dev/sda1 / ext4 rw,relatime,acl 0 0

none /proc proc rw 0 0

/dev/sda6 /home ext4 rw,relatime,acl 0 0

none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0

gvfs-fuse-daemon /home/roger/.gvfs fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon rw,nosuid,nodev,user=roger 0 0

Suggestions please ?

Thanks -- Roger

I just reread your origanal post and that's expected behaviour.

A mounted CD or DVD will always be read only, it can't be otherwise.

Why the device notifier is not seeing them I don't know but for now just un-comment the /dev/sr0 line in /etc/fstab.

For write access you need blank media and a burning program, either GUI or CLI.

If you don't have an fstab entry, you cannot just type:

mount /mnt/cdrom

because it doesn't know what device is attributed to /mnt/cdrom. Therefore you could then have to do something like:

mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

or wherever you wanted to mount it. udev/dbus would need to be dealing with this that is why there should not be an fstab entry. I wouldn't expect the USB icon to be managing your CDROM since it's not a USB device. The CD/DVD should appear on your desktop and can then be accessible by double clicking it. And it's going to be read only unless you are using Brasero or K3B or similar which would be an application that uses the necessary tools so that you can write files to it. Otherwise CD/DVD that has something on it, will be readonly irrespective unless the session is re-opened in a CD/DVD burning application.

I have uncommented the entry in the fstab file. I changed noauto to auto to see if I could get the drive to automatically mount. Both CDs and DVDs will now automatically mount, and pop up on the USB icon (nothing on the desktop) and I can access via K3b and CDs play (haven't tried DVDs yet). When I run mount in console, the device only appears when DVDs are mounted - no indication of mount for CDs. I need to play some more with this on my own, but it seems to be sufficiently functional.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Regards -- Roger

Having auto in fstab is a bad idea, because if you boot the machine without a disk in the drive it will attempt to mount something that is not there. If you have an fstab entry for it, it must be noauto.