Sticking with 2008.1

Trio3b

If you have 2008.1 on your system, and the repos configured, you can easily find the version numbers of packages installed by using the gui application to search or:

urpmf --name package

replacing package with the text you want to search for, for example: firefox.

Are there reasonably updated packages still available in ANY repos for MDV2008.1 and if so where might I find them and a list of version #?

Thanks

I also still have a PC running MDV2008.1, I have built some updated packages for it myself, what are you looking for specifically, maybe I can help.

One of the packages I did was a backport of the MDV2009.0 2.6.27 kernel (32 bit) to 2008.1 with support for more than 4GB, in order to support newer hardware (the 2.6.24 MDV 2008.1 kernel has some serious USB related bugs with ATI chipsets).

Basically use the PC for business and rely on:

OO (or LO if available for mdv 2008.1)

need to upgrade grsync (or if luckybackup is available will use it)

digikam

any kind of .pdf viewer

xsane seems OK

used to use kmail but have been trying T-bird

I'm fine with Konq and Krusader (Dolphin has finally gotten decent but I'm not ready for KDE4 or it's not ready for me)

Had it with FF constant """"advances""" , I may try Seamonkey

Thanks for the replies. Not sure I have the time nor expertise needed for building packages, but Will poke around when I get the chance and take the advice about pbone.

BTW, mdv2008.1 is already installed on Dell optiplex 170L and has been running fine for 2-3 years but the software needs upgrading.

Basically use the PC for business and rely on:

OO (or LO if available for mdv 2008.1)

need to upgrade grsync (or if luckybackup is available will use it)

digikam

any kind of .pdf viewer

xsane seems OK

Unfortunately those aren't packages that I use much so I haven't built any updated versions of them.

With regards to pdf viewer, why don't you just get the latest acrobat reader from adobe?

(just make sure you disable javascript in the acrobat reader options, to avoid security issues)