USB stick install of Mageia [solved]

AussieJohn

Hello all.

I have been experimenting with installing Mageia-2 Beta-1 via a 16Gb Kingston Data Traveller.

I learned how to Install the iso onto the Memory stick and did it successfully, I am pleased to say.

However when I try to install the Mageia onto my chosen partition on the Hard Drive from the stick, the process reaches the section to choose language and totally freezes.

It does it time after time. I tried it all out again on my now spare backup Computer and get the same result so I think that maybe the stick is corrupted even though I carefully checked everything during the "burn" to the memory stick.

Now I find that although the Memory stick is shown in the Device Notifier and can be opened to show all the folders and files etc., it does not show up in Mageia Control Centre so I am not able to reformat the USB stick to do a "burn" using a freshly downloaded iso.

I can see I should have partitioned the memory stick because the stick only registers as 3.4 Gbs ( the size of the iso download in the first place).

So now how do I get to wipe the memory stick to start all over fresh again ???. Should I use a console to wipe it clean etc and if so what are the cli instructions to do same.

Cheers. John.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

Hi John,

Console could be easiest in this instance, if the system is not recognising it. If you can't see it in konqueror or nautilus (depending on KDE or Gnome), then the easiest will be to open a console and then su and enter the root password. Once you are here, this is what you would need to do. First disconnect and reconnect the USB stick. Then do this:

dmesg

it should then tell you what USB device it found at the end of the dmesg, and which disk it assigned, for example, /dev/sdb. Once you know this, you can do this:

fdisk -l /dev/sdb

that's a lowercase L. It will list your disks in the system, and should also list the USB stick that you plugged in and from where it matched in dmesg. I would expect that only one partition is listed on the disk. If that is the case, you can then do:

fdisk /dev/sdb
t
b
w

t = toggle partition type

b = set to W95 FAT 32

w = save changes

it will then return to the command prompt. Once this has been done, you can do this:

mkfs.vfat /dev/sdb1

and it will create a FAT32 filesystem on the USB stick. You can then remove it and reconnect again to see if the system recognises it normally. Please be careful, substitute /dev/sdb in my example with the one that matches your dmesg output. Also from the fdisk -l listing, you can check that size of the USB stick to verify you have the right disk, if it's 16GB like you posted here.

Hello all.

I can see I should have partitioned the memory stick because the stick only registers as 3.4 Gbs ( the size of the iso download in the first place).

So now how do I get to wipe the memory stick to start all over fresh again ???. Should I use a console to wipe it clean etc and if so what are the cli instructions to do same.

Cheers. John.

There's no need to partition the stick or wipe it as writing an ISO to the stick using dd or Mandriva-seed wipes the entire stick.

Also the hybrid ISO's when written to a USB stick will show up in MCC as a CD/DVD burner not as a hard drive.

I've found gparted useful to partition and use the unused space on the stick on a Linux system although Windows fails to find more than the first partition.

Thank you Ken and Ian.

Ian I tried your suggestion and was able to achieve each stage except for the very last one, namely, mkfs.vfat /dev/sdb1.

In my instance the drive was /sdd. No matter what little variations I tried it just wouldn't go.

I Spotted Kens mention about Gparted and could have kicked myself up the "kyber pass" for not thinking of it, because I have used in the past and was reasonably offay with it.

Installed gparted and opened it up and away It all went .....no trouble at all.

I not only successfully reformatted it to ext4 but I set it up as 2 partitions, one at approx 4Gbs and one with the remainder of 14Gbs.

I got the simple solution I was seeking and it worked so I can now say it is SOLVED

Thanks both and cheers. John

• 1 year later...
Guest Rick S

I'm having a heck of a time! Mandriva-Seed is not seeing any removable drives. I tried formatting it, removing it, changing ports,... Still won't see it? Any ideas?

Edited by Rick S

I'm having a heck of a time! Mandriva-Seed is not seeing any removable drives. I tried formatting it, removing it, changing ports,... Still won't see it? Any ideas?

Welcome to the forum Rick.

What operating system are you using?

I've heard of problems such as you're seeing on some versions of Windows but not on Linux.

Ken