IDE cabling & device jumpers?

rogerh

Hello,

Getting ready for a new mother board, which has only 1 IDE slot. OK because I really only want to run a DVD burner/reader and a hard drive. I figured that I wanted the system to first read the DVD reader and then move to the hard drive, so I jumpered both as cable select, and then put the DVD reader at the end of the cable (master) and the drive in the middle (slave). The bios did not like that one little bit - said there was no master. I then jumpered the drive as master, and left the cabling and DVD jumper alone. The system boots fine now off the drive, and it seems that the system does a handshake with the DVD before the drive kicks in. I'm not sure that I got what I wanted (with regards to the DVD being actually tried first).

Is this setup correct, or do I need to also set the DVD as master? Can/should each device type have a designated master as far as the bios/IDE cable is concerned ?

Thanks -- Roger

Yes, I do want to be able to boot off a DVD/CD as an option. Will setting the DVD to master and the disk to slave 'hard-wire' in this boot sequence, or will I have to edit the bios once I get the system up?? I will almost always have the DVD empty/no bootable DVD, but I would like the option to intervene prior to booting into Linux.

Yes, I do want to be able to boot off a DVD/CD as an option. Will setting the DVD to master and the disk to slave 'hard-wire' in this boot sequence, or will I have to edit the bios once I get the system up?? I will almost always have the DVD empty/no bootable DVD, but I would like the option to intervene prior to booting into Linux.

No need to set the jumpers, just follow dans advice and change the boot settings in your bios.