Application launcher menu in Mandriva 2011

boatman9

I put the latest Mandriva 2011_x86_64 iso onto a usb flash drive and booted it. I noticed that the application launcher menu button does not bring up the usual list of applications, but instead fills the whole screen with an application menu showing rather large icons. Is this change coming from KDE or was it done by Mandriva? Can the application launcher menu be changed to the way it was in Mandriva 2010?

I also noticed that pressing ctrl-alt-F1 gets me only a black screen, not the text console I expected. Pressing Alt-F8 should bring me back to the KDE desktop, but this did not work to recover from the black screen. Is this a problem with Mandriva 2011 or my computer?

I put the latest Mandriva 2011_x86_64 iso onto a usb flash drive and booted it.  I noticed that the application launcher menu button does not bring up the usual list of applications, but instead fills the whole screen with an application menu showing rather large icons.  Is this change coming from KDE or was it done by Mandriva?  Can the application launcher menu be changed to the way it was in Mandriva 2010?

That monstrosity was done by Mandriva.  It's called SimpleWelcome.  Simple it is, Welcome it is not.  Right click the menu icon, then select the remove option. You can add the regular menu icon there in its place from your widgets selection. 

Thanks for that tip which worked for me. Although I can use all sorts of command line programs I've never been good at configuring the KDE task bar.

I was able to remove Simple Welcome and add the customary application launcher, however the launcher shows on the far right of the task bar as a mere dot. I don't know how to move it to the left end and make it appear as the star in circle I was expecting.

Hello Nexus.

Quoting you:- "That monstrosity was done by Mandriva. It's called SimpleWelcome. Simple it is, Welcome it is not. Right click the menu icon, then select the remove option. You can add the regular menu icon there in its place from your widgets selection."

I agree with you entirely. I too found this and solved some time back as you had obviously done. I won't be using Mandriva 20011 routinely in the future when Mageia seems to do all the normal "Mandriva" things better and easily.

The Mandriva 2011-errata seems to be overflowing. Not a good sign at all.

Cheers. John. (now 77 years young)

Thanks for that tip which worked for me. Although I can use all sorts of command line programs I've never been good at configuring the KDE task bar.

I was able to remove Simple Welcome and add the customary application launcher, however the launcher shows on the far right of the task bar as a mere dot. I don't know how to move it to the left end and make it appear as the star in circle I was expecting.

Right click the taskbar, unlock widgets. A cashew symbol should appear to the extreme right. Click it. To make the dot larger, use the height in the middle of the bar that pops up when you click the cashew. To move the dot. Put your mouse over the dot and a crosshair should appear. Click, hold and drag the dot into position. Once you've sorted it lock your widgets and you're good to go. :)