Canon PIXMA MP280 All-In-One

RevJack

I'm considering switching back to Mandriva after trying out other distros. I need to know if my Canon PIXMA MP280 all-in-one will work using Mandriva? I finally got it to print and scan in Kubuntu 11.10, but could not get it to scan in other distros because I could not get the scangear drivers/application to install.

As you've used Kubuntu 11.10 which is October 2011, I would suggest using the latest Mandriva 2011 available and simply trying if nobody has this particular camera. I haven't a Canon, so can't help you there. Sometimes it's just worth trying the latest release and see what happens.

Sorry Ian, he is talking about a Canon Printer/Scanner/Copier All-in -one and not a Camera.

Sadly Canon is very anti-Linux because of an incident years ago in which it lost a case involving Linux.

Commercial spitefulness: just like microsoft exercises.

The only way to get Linux drivers for Canon products is to buy them from some site whose name I cannot remember. I suspect the site is in cahoots with Canon or is a Canon front to get back at Linux users.

I prefer Canon Cameras but refuse to but any other Canon products such as printers and scanners. Even though they make excellent devices Epson make equally excellent devices and are quite Linux friendly. HP is very good as well as I think most other manufacturers are also.

Cheers. John.

Sadly Canon is very anti-Linux because of an incident years ago in which it lost a case involving Linux.

Commercial spitefulness: just like microsoft exercises.

The only way to get Linux drivers for Canon products is to buy them from some site whose name I cannot remember. I suspect the site is in cahoots with Canon or is a Canon front to get back at Linux users.

Sorry John, I find the above to be erroneous. I have been able to use several different model Canon printers with Linux. My current MG8120 works fine in Mageia 1 KDE, Fedora 16 Gnome, and Arch Linux XFCE. Previously I have used a MP600 successfully. I got all of my Linux drivers from Canon directly. Canon Australia to be exact. Canon Europe is another good source. Canon USA is useless as far as Linux is concerned.

True, there are some Canon printers that Canon does not provide Linux drivers for, but a search before purchase can prevent one from purchasing a (Linux) paperweight.

Regarding the MP280, Canon does supply Linux drivers for that model. See link below.

http://support-au.canon.com.au/P/search?model=PIXMA+MP280&menu=download&filter=0&tagname=g_os&g_os=Linux