Firefox rpm source, and issues upgrading from 3.6

rogerh

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, almost enough detail for me....

Do you mean /usr/lib rather than /usr/local ??

When I execute the tar command, will it automatically create a directory in /usr/? for the firefox 9 files?

Thanks -- Roger

No, I mean /usr/local

/usr/lib is for libraries only and better not to unpack binaries here. And if you do as I wrote, it will create a directory called firefox under /usr/local like in my example that I put in my post.

Well Firefox 9.0 is up and running fine, and no problem creating a launcher on the desktop. I cannot figure out how to link the launcher to the firefox icon. I created the launcher by right clicking on the desktop and using 'create new link to application'. I did not spot anywhere where I could insert the icon link?? Is there a secret or do I have to approach it another way??

Thanks

Yep, that is exactly what I am looking for.... When I select properties, I go to exactly the same tool that I used to create the launcher, and populated with what I entered. I gather that in the 'General' tab there is an icon that I can click on, but all that is there is the cog like execute icon that appears when you double click on the icon - but left click, right click, nothing happens. Under the 'application' tab there is a 'work path', but I am guessing that is not for the icon location. I had heard about clicking on the icon graphic in the 'general' tab and being able to browse to the firefox icon, but there does not seem to be a live icon....... All that is on the screen now is a white sheet with a blue question mark in it (and Firefox 9.0 in text below - I at least got that in....)

Interesting enough, I tried to edit the properties file, and was denied when I tried to save it (hit OK button). Do I need to be su to create this launcher properly?? It seems odd that I could create it as a user, but cannot edit it as a user.

thanks -- Roger

Edited by rogerh

Click right on the icon, choose properties

Click left on the icon

Choose other icons

Search for the folder where you extract the tar and then find firefox/icons and double-click on mozicon128.png

Then oke, oke, oke, oke untill the properties screen is closed.

Some names could be different on your system, i've a dutch Mandriva version

Well, I understand exactly what you are saying and what should be happening, but clicking on the cog execute icon (I am assuming on the 'general' tab of the properties pop-up) does absolutely nothing. No indication that there is anything there to click on (no color change, no nothing).

I am running 2010.2, and just last week upgraded my system with every upgrade available through the package update manager.

This should be so simple - a bit baffling....

I did try to generate another application link, figuring that maybe I did something wrong the first time, but still no life on the execute icon.

Thanks -- Roger

I did try to generate another application link, figuring that maybe I did something wrong the first time, but still no life on the execute icon.

How did you generate a application link on th desktop

Edited by willie