Firefox rpm source, and issues upgrading from 3.6

rogerh

Hello,

I want to upgrade my Firefox (currently running 3.6.13 - yep, I know). Are there any issues or precautions to take with the upgrade, as I understand the whole structure of Firefox is different after 3.6 ?? Also, is there a recommended source for the RPM, and which Firefox version is currently 'safe' to migrate to?

Thanks -- Roger

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Willie,

On a good day, I'm pretty capable of downloading an RPM and double-clicking on it...... maybe a bit more. Downloading a tar and editing some script is beyond where I am willing to go unless I'm pretty desperate.

Did you upgrade from 3.6, and if so did it go smoothly? Did you need to save bookmarks and all other personal bits?

Thanks -- Roger

Hello,

Well, I downloaded the Firefox 6.0 rpm supposedly for Mandriva from rpmfind.net. It would not install because it needed libproxy.so.1 (or at least that was the first dependency that was not met).

Is there anywhere where I can download this such that all the dependent packages will also be identified and downloaded????

Thanks -- Roger

I will bet you are not using MCC (Mandriva Control Centre ) to install Firefox.

If you were then it would have been installed quickly and with all necessary dependencies.

It seems that you are just making hard work for yourself with no sensible benefit.

Go into MCC .....Software Management.........Configure Media Resources for install and update............File...............Update.

When that action is completed then in Software Management........Install and remove Software ......(Make sure that "All" appears in both Column Headers)

Type in the word firefox in the Find slot and hit the keyboard Enter button.

Then scroll down to see the various versions of Firefox shown and select the one you want then click Apply and follow the directions.

It will then show dependencies and install them with Firefox. It couldn't be simpler.

Cheers. John.

Thanks Willie,

On a good day, I'm pretty capable of downloading an RPM and double-clicking on it...... maybe a bit more. Downloading a tar and editing some script is beyond where I am willing to go unless I'm pretty desperate.

Did you upgrade from 3.6, and if so did it go smoothly? Did you need to save bookmarks and all other personal bits?

Thanks -- Roger

AussieJohn is right normaly you install by MCC, but in my case i'm running MCNLive Kris which is based on Mandriva 2010 and have Firefox 3.6 as latest.

I downloaded firefox 8.?.tar.gz and extract it in /home, got root renamed the old firefox folder and copied the new one in /usr/lib

Removed the old entry in startmenu and made a new one

So there is no script used

Need more info send a pb

Yep, same problem I have - wrapped around 2010.2. Redid all the mirrors in the control center, and got all the way up to Firefox 4.0.1. Even though it is in the 4 series, it seems not to have the update Firefox capability (I'm not sure how that would work with Mandriva root permission requirements anyways). I guess no efforts are even being made on the Mandriva side to backport current Firefox to 2010.2, even though I heard they are extending support to it.

I'll look more into Willie's 8x approach. I did find an rpm for 8x for 2011, and given the amount of updating I've done I have to be pretty much there (I thought if you did all of the updating, it would take you there?? Surprised not to see a 2011 logo on my screen now....) No so amusing when it is so hard to get a current browser on your almost current release.

Thanks -- Roger

Hello,

I found a 9.0.1 rpm for 2011, but ran into dependency issues when I tried to install. Since you have installed this successfully, it would seem that these dependencies do not need to be met?? Can I just run the install ignoring the dependency issues (an option given on the screen) or is that a formula for disaster? Seems that it would get me to the same place you guys are (or maybe not......)

Thanks -- Roger

The alternative is simple, as willie pointed out, just download the tar file from Mozilla and extract this somewhere. Then it's just a case of creating a shortcut to the firefox executable inside here and you're done. No need to go searching for an rpm and getting into a dependency nightmare of which you've just found. Alternatively, updating your system to a newer release of Mandriva, and you'd have Firefox 9 - but a bit extreme for just changing the browser.

The alternative is simple, as willie pointed out, just download the tar file from Mozilla and extract this somewhere. Then it's just a case of creating a shortcut to the firefox executable inside here and you're done. No need to go searching for an rpm and getting into a dependency nightmare of which you've just found. Alternatively, updating your system to a newer release of Mandriva, and you'd have Firefox 9 - but a bit extreme for just changing the browser.

Normaly i install only from MCC but in this case i had to do it this way.

Why copy it in /usr/lib, simple this is where firefox install itself and all the users can use firefox 8

In /home you can't

But as Ian say put the tar in /home extract it and make a shortcut

Hi Roger,

Here is an example from my download:

ian@jasiek ~/Downloads $ tar xjf firefox-9.0.1.tar.bz2 

ian@jasiek ~/Downloads $ cd firefox

ian@jasiek ~/Downloads/firefox $ ls
Throbber-small.gif          icons             libsoftokn3.so
application.ini             jsloader          libssl3.so
blocklist.xml               libfreebl3.chk    libxpcom.so
chrome                      libfreebl3.so     libxul.so
chrome.manifest             libmozalloc.so    mozilla-xremote-client
components                  libmozsqlite3.so  omni.jar
crashreporter               libnspr4.so       platform.ini
crashreporter-override.ini  libnss3.so        plugin-container
crashreporter.ini           libnssckbi.so     precomplete
defaults                    libnssdbm3.chk    removed-files
dependentlibs.list          libnssdbm3.so     run-mozilla.sh
dictionaries                libnssutil3.so    searchplugins
extensions                  libplc4.so        update.locale
firefox                     libplds4.so       updater
firefox-bin                 libsmime3.so      updater.ini
hyphenation                 libsoftokn3.chk
ian@jasiek ~/Downloads/firefox $

in the last directory listing is an executable called firefox. So wherever you unpack this, is where you would create the link for the executable. For the icon use the path icons/mozicon128.png from within the firefox directory.

I unpacked in /home/ian/Downloads/firefox, so for my shortcut the program would be:

/home/ian/Downloads/firefox/firefox

and the icon would be:

/home/ian/Downloads/firefox/icons/mozicon128.png

of course, ideally you would unpack this in for example /usr/local. So to do this:

su (enter root password when prompted)
cd /usr/local
tar xjf /home/ian/Downloads/firefox-9.0.1.tar.bz2

then your paths would be /usr/local/firefox/firefox and /usr/local/firefox/icons/mozicon128.png.