Huawei E367 not detected in Mageia [solved]

dude67

The modem-modeswitch could be in a different place, you could locate it easily enough:

find / -name modem*

different distros put things in different places. But also, with usb_modeswitch, you might have to put the full path to it, so for example, /usr/bin/usb_modeswitch if that is where it existed.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried finding modem-modeswitch with locate, but it's not installed. No files found.

But I already know that usb_modeswitch works, I just need to run that everytime I plug it in. I'd like to know if there is a way to make is stick. Will modem-modeswitch provide something new to this?

There is modemmanager in the repositories but I doubt it has anything to do with usb_modeswitch.

It seems that everything is working but not automatically. :wall:

Now that you've enabled logging is a log created when you manually invoke usb_modeswitch?

Also are the security levels the same on the two systems?

It seems that everything is working but not automatically. :wall:

Now that you've enabled logging is a log created when you manually invoke usb_modeswitch?

Also are the security levels the same on the two systems?

I cannot find any logs for usb_modeswitch. Even after I manually started it.

I guess I need to teach my wife how to run commands on konsole and issue them as root.

Can this command be executed with a desktop shortcut and with user rights (or the root password as a prompt)?

Did you check that the full path to usb_modeswitch was put in the udev config file? Because previously this was not set, and can be a reason as to why it doesn't work automatically. You will probably need to put /usr/bin/usb_modeswitch or whatever the path is depending on where it is.

locate will work only if the locate database has been updated, so the database could be out-of-date, if updatedb was not run first. But we can forget about the modem-modeswitch, but check the full path has been added like I mentioned earlier for usb_modeswitch.

EDIT:

I installed usb_modeswitch on my system, and so this is my path:

jasiek ian # which usb_modeswitch
/usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch

so if I was editing the udev config, I'd put all of this in there, instead of usb_modeswitch on it's own without the full path.

I'm now traveling and will be back home Friday so I cannot do the testing and cofiguring before that. I'll check the path this coming weekend.

Do you mean that I'd add the path here in the udev rules?

# cat /lib/udev/rules.d/huawei_e367.rules

SUBSYSTEM=="usb",SYSFS{idProduct}=="1446",SYSFS{idVendor}=="12d1",RUN+="/usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch -c /usr/share/usb_modeswitch/12d1:1446"

BTW, I always run updatedb before running locate.

I'm glad you got it sorted but a few questions remain.

Why did it work out of the box on one piece of hardware and not another?

Why did you seek help here on a Mandriva forum rather than on the Mageia forum? You know that few if any Mageia developers hang out here and if they don't know about a problem it won't be fixed. :shocking:

Please report the problem on the Mageia forum so others won't have to jump through the hoops that you did.

Why did you seek help here on a Mandriva forum rather than on the Mageia forum?

I knew that people here are friendly and have the knowledge regardless of the distro. And even though this forum's name is Mandrivausers, it's long been a general linux help forum.

Please report the problem on the Mageia forum so others won't have to jump through the hoops that you did.

I don't want to report this to another forum because I've already done this here, but can report a bug to Mageia if you think it's worth it. I can also link this conversation to the Mageia forum, but somehow I don't think the admins would appreciate it.

Also I think one can find this if they Google...

- EDIT - typo

Edited by dude67

Hello Ken and Dude. I use Mageia exclusively and I prefer to use MUB for the same reasons as Dude.

I keep checking on Mandriva but the more I see of it and the more I try it, the more I get disillusioned with it.

Have you noticed in their erratas just how many problems they are having and the amount of CLI required to fix things ??.

For anything Mandriva or Mageia I believe MUB to be the best site around bar none,for getting help and tips etc.

Cheers. John.