Huge KDE Core update [solved]

banjo

I am being pestered by an update notice from Mandriva which contains dozens of updates to the "KDE 4 core library". One of them is "libkdefakes5". What? Is this stuff legit?

It is scary when the core of my system is going to me modified on a large scale. Is anybody here familiar with this update? Has anybody installed these updates? And if so, how did it go?

Thanks in advance, and sign me "Paranoid in Boston"

Banjo

(_)=='=~

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

Edited by banjo

Don't have any updates offered right here, but i was up-to-date until yesterday.

Maybe is the mirror i am using not completely in synch, and will i have those packages later.

Concerning libkdefakes5: this is just a regular library for kdecore:

http://pkgs.org/mandriva-2011/mandriva-main-release-i586/libkdefakes5-4.6.5-9-mdv2011.0.i586.rpm.html

So, no worries about it's somehow suspected naming.

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case anyone was curious about the outcome of my paranoid question from a couple weeks ago, I finally got around to jumping off the update cliff.

Mandriva updated 50 packages tonight including dozens of KDE Core packages, the GIMP, Thunderbird, etc. etc. and it seems to have survived. I even rebooted the computer after the update just to make sure that it didn't get hosed. :thumbs:

Unfortunately, it is now reminding me that there is a newer version of Mandriva available. :wall: So I guess that is the end of the updates for 2010.2 and now I am getting the push for Mandy 2011. From what I have heard about 2011, I will probably go look for a different distro... like Mageia or perhaps Debian.

How is everybody doing with Mageia?

Banjo

(_)=='=~