386SX Laptop, what OS?

sud_crow

I couldnt make it.

I could boot a small linux in a floppy, but that was it... and was quite useless so i went back to win 3.11, most of the problems were related with no-cdrom drive... anyway, i think in a couple of months ill be able to play a little more as ill bring the laptop with me (im back from hollys and i left the laptop at my parents house)...

Thanks everyone for the help and tips...

Hi,

Im sorry i didnt give any details, the main problem was that i coulndt get a cdrom drive for the laptop, a friend has a 2x external one, but i couldnt contact him to ask for it, so i was left with a floppy drive wich was quite useless...

I have a BeOS 5.0 iso too and i was thinking in giving it a try in my main system, but i guess if i can get the laptop to play a little i will try it there as soon as i get my friend to lend me his cdrom drive... thanks for letting my know that BeOS might work, i think it would be real nice to try it.

The distro is not as important as what you do with it.

I put Redhat 9.0 on a 486, I used the terminal mostly and used Blackbox as my WM, being very lightweight.

The installation is the tricky part (no booting from cds, etc.) With Mandrake, you can start the cd install from a floppy. Use the text-based installation (the graphical installer probably won't manage). I would personally load gentoo or slackware on it, you would gain some performance that way (especially with Gentoo).

And then just scale it down, X will be slow, but you can tweak it and use blackbox or another very minimil and lightweight WM.