Too long to install and boot from USB

Jza

I am having a big issue when I tried to load the Mandriva 2011 ISO as well as the liveUSB on my Laptop.

First I download the 1.7GB Mandriva.2011.586.iso file, and try to load into a brand new Kingston 2GB USB.

I did a dd if=file.iso of=/dev/sdx bs=8M

After that it started loading, and took almost all night since I went to bed and found it was done by the next morning. So I load it to the Laptop, and nothing.

It just skip the USB and went straight to the HD. So it seems isolinux or something wasnt booting. Tonight I tried it again this time through the Mandriva_seed.sh file, which loaded the image and took a total of 5.25hrs (Too much) and finally got it to get recognized by the Laptop

However it take ages to actually do something. I just see an ISOLinux ... legend and that's it.

The USB seems to be working since a green light appear but there is no more vmlinuz or other process being displayed in the screen.

I would appreciate to get some insight into what's going on. My laptop is not that old, so the transfer rate should be okay. I have transfer large files with a good transfer rate. (1GB movies and such).

USB is: Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0930:6544 Toshiba Corp. Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 Stick (2GB)

Did an hdparm trying to the get speed of the USB data transfer and got the following:

/dev/sdb:
Timing cached reads:   870 MB in  2.00 seconds = 435.14 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads:   54 MB in  3.08 seconds =  17.55 MB/sec

Unfortunately I think this is not good enough since it only test the very first seconds which usually is a very high rate but drops overtime.

Wonder if I can specify over a longer period of time.

Are you still using Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring?

I don't think one can dd copy a DVD iso image to an USB stick and have it boot, but I could be wrong as I have not done much with USB booting.

Do you know what class (rated speed) is your USB flash memory device?

For speed testing writes to USB, I find rsync seems to give actual data rate of transfer to USB media. Using the "--progress" option rsync initially shows an unrealistically high transfer rate but after it finishes the transfer and returns to the command prompt you will see an accurate overall speed.

I am upgrading from 2010.0.

I though ISO were supposed to be hybrid. Which means doing a dd will make the usb bootable.

I tried some hdparm to test speed and is pretty good around 417 mbps and my usb is a USB 2.0.

I will try the USB option.