middle-aged kid needs new game

null

I'm not a gamer, but several years ago I kind of enjoyed playing the Doom I and Doom II games (on win98). I am in my early 40s and I mostly would like the shoot-em ups, the first-person shooters - such as Doom. I don't think I would really like the RPGs. I like to shoot every thing that moves.

Currently my main machine is a win2k box with 384Mb RAM and an ATI all-in-wonder 8500DV, with a 19" CRT, no joystick. I also have a linux box, but I need to upgrade it a little before playing high-end games on it.

Any suggestions for a first-person shooter for someone who likes Doom-type games? Would Doom III be a good choice? I have never seen or played NWN, HL, RTCW, UT or any other post-Doom games.

thanks

i think your ati card might struggle a little bit with doom3 sadly, it should be able to cope with Unreal Tournament 2003 though i think, another fps, which is very graphically nice too.

Doom III looks to be an excellent game though, amazing graphics, immersive audio, in a word: frightening.

If you can get the green, i'd say try and upgrade your graphics card.

*depends on how fast your processor is too, i think doom3 will like a 2GHz processor minimum.

hmmm, I just bought the ATI 850DV not too long ago (one year) - already obsolete !! And my processor in my win2k is an AMD Athlon XP2000+.

If I do upgrade my win2k box, what card would be a good choice? I don't exactly have alot of disposable cash right now, in fact I'm broke (property taxes due January 31 - $2800).

Also, if I upgrade my ATI 8500 in my win2k box, could I put the ATI card in my linux box without any problems? I mean, would it work without a bunch of hassle with drivers and whatever? I think the card in my linux box is an nvidia GeF 3, but I'm not sure. But I know the ATI card is better than what I have in my linux box, plus it has a TV tuner.

Is Doom III available now? Is it similar to I & II, but with better graphics, or is the game alot different ?

Edited by null

you could try Enemy Territory it is a free download, online multiplayer shooter. Really fun game IMO.

http://www.splashdamage.com/download.php?o...wdownload&cid=7

If you like doom 1 + 2 you may like cube which is another free shooter which is much like doom/quake1 in style.

http://wouter.fov120.com/cube/

Of course you could get quake3 as well it is cheap now and has a number of good free mods for it, same with unreal tournament.

But wait theres more! i just can't be bothered writing anymore, shooters is one catergory that linux isn't lacking in really.

If youve never played Half-Life I would recommend you do! It has a great story line, still decent graphics (with openGL drivers) and.........its an awesome game!

I would also recommend RTCW, its a great shooter too and your system should handle it fine.

if youre looking for a more deathmatch-y experience, go for unreal tournament or unreal tournament 2003, unreal tournament 2004 should even be available in the US by now, its only in magazine review stage here in australia sadly.

ET is great, but I never really got in the XP Points and ranking side of it. Horses for courses I suppose, so give it a try. Otherwise, if you want an online game with a large player base, you cant go past Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat. Both will run decently over a dialup connection and are modifications of Half-Life.

Contrary to what has been said avobe UT 2003 will work on your hardware.

I was running it on an ATI Radeon Mobility M6, reasonably well too!

HL works in Wine. (you need to change the graphics to Open GL tho in the settings)

UT2003 has a native version i think

RTCW Enemy Terrirory is native.

And the original RTCW is native too. (try and get ravage's installer)

UT2k3 has a native installer - it's on disk 3 of the retail set (copy it to your hd, then run it. Check illogic-al's FAQ for Mandrake 9.2 specific installation instructions

RtCW has a native installer. You need the GoTY edition if you don't want to have to copy the files from a Windows installation.

Enemy Territory is a standalone client with both Win and Linux clients

UT and the original Unreal both have native installers. Check DOlson's website for links to both installers.

Medal of Honor and Postal2 both have installers, although they are in beta state the last time I checked

Serious Sam 2 has a Linux installer (again, DOlson's page has a link)

Quake, Quake2, and Quake 3 all have Linux installers

Other games that are not FPS's, but are still good:

Uplink - A semi-RPG hacking simulator. Quite fun. Linux version on the retail disk, there is a free demo.

RailRoad Tycoon 2

SimCity 3000 Unlimited

Rune - Hard to find

Check out http://www.tuxgames.com for a full listing.

I'm 35 (36 in 3 mos.) and play the following native shooters on Linux:

Quake 3 Arena

Unreal Tournament 2003

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Descent 3 (ok, quasi-shooter)

I also play:

FreeSpace 1 & 2

Sim City 3000

Neverwinter Nights (+ the two expansion packs)

Using WineX (some will blast me for that):

Jedi Academy

Homeworld 1 & 2 (Homeworld SDL is not yet running on my system)

Star Trek Voyager Elite Force

so far, after all the suggestions, I have downloaded Cube for my win2k machine, since it's free. It looks alot like Doom, at least in the beginning. I think I will upgrade my linux box with a new mobo (so I can go from Pentium to AMD), more RAM, and a high-end video card. I'll have to start a new thread for that in a little while so I can get some suggestions, but I need some money first...