My own de-live disk

Gowator

Being slightly envious of anna and not technically competent anymore as senility seems to have taken over I just reversed anna's wonderful live CD.

Ive spent forever trying to get 9.1 and then 9.2 stable with my shuttle fn41G.

I reinstalled 9.2 AGAIN ... and the result it messed up on the network, after disabling the internal nforce2 and actually sticking in an old freecom!!!

BAH ... I felt beaten and abused. Its only got a single PCI solt and that meant either sound or network external. If it wasn't so pretty Id replace it ...

But Ive grown to love it... my next mobo will be an opteron dual processor I think so this is my last IA32 box....

What annoyed me most was the hardware detection.... I could recompile everything and use the default kernel but be limited to <868MB and then I could load the modules,,,, if not then I couldn't get the modules to play with the enterprise kernel. Even the default was unstable, it would lock up at least once a day.

So.... new recovery I insert a Knoppix CD...

Only it correctly detects my HW including the sound.

Impressive ....but Ive still only got 868MB.

Then I try Knoppix 3.3.... It finds the whole 1GB and everythings running.

(The idea was to use it to download the right nforce stuff and get Mandrake running (limping) along again....

Except ... I see the new install to HDD. I got a 120GB drive with a fair bit of space so it looks worth a try....

All I can say is incredible....

Faultless install into a customised Debian.

Now almost everything is working (except K3B won't upgrade to 0.10.3 which supports all the DVD +/- and RW stuff.

Still can't be long,,,, I figure if I update my apt sources then it will get over some of the libraries presently not in deb...

Next try I think is the linuxant drivers....

(This is a beautiful thing... I have working Internet so I can just download and test....)

So now, what next....

Well, I figure Ill follow the make my own distro instructions...

Try morphix and mephis ....

If anyone thought I was quiet this weekend then this is why :D)

Erm, or like the guy said in the Suse thread.

Its not so much config as HW detection that forced this through, combined with the missing Linux conf etc. In Mandy.

My NIC's just wouldn't work with the mandy tools and I remembered it being the same in 9.1 and just giving up and using linuxconf....

Seems like getting rid of seatbelts becuase you have an airbag....