Is GNOME an option for 2011?

lcl

John,

Just in case it happens again, you can boot a livecd and then chroot into your install and then remove the packages. That would save you your reinstall. Although some console stuff needs to be done, which I know you don't like too much :) but it could work out a bit quicker this way to reverse something installed, then a fresh install.

Yes Ian that is what I have done since live CDs have been available. I always keep an up to date Live CD for such occasions and have done so since those earlier times.

A great and valuable invention.

Cheers. John.

Hi

I'm still concern with all the replies that I've seen here and I'm just wondering if in order to have Mandriva2011 we have to download a whole DVD?

or they will still have live CD's?

and also what about Gnome? that means we will have to install all the task-gnome after installing KDE or We still don't know?

't

Mandriva will provide only a KDE live DVD - in 32 bit and 64 bit versions.

"The community" may provide other installation media for which Mandriva may provide assistance and hosting facilities.

To get Gnome you can either install the KDE live DVD and then install task-gnome or use the boot.iso to perform a network install (which uses the "traditional" Mandriva installer) and select Gnome.

(The RC2 DVD is not a "full" DVD - it is about 1.7GB)

Jim

Edited by jkerr82508

Making Gnome users jump through hoops. You can also do a minimal install I expect without KDE, etc. And then just install task-gnome from the console, then you won't have your system bloated with Gnome and KDE.

You can also do a minimal install I expect without KDE, etc.

Not with the live DVD. I think that all the live-install does is dump the disk image on to the hard drive.

So far as I know, the only way to have any control over the installation is to perform a net install.

Jim

So why not just have two live dvds. One KDE the other Gnome?

That would make four dvds, KDE64bit, KDE32bit, Gnome64bit and Gnome32bit. :lol2:

As to why Mandriva dropped the traditional install media in favour of Live only media for installation your guess is good as mine. :wall:

As to why Mandriva dropped the traditional install media in favour of Live only media for installation your guess is good as mine. :wall:

Agree totally. I've never ever used a LiveCD to test or use my system. I've always installed the sytem and then used it normally. Was much better before without the Live stuff, there was less CD/DVD images for a start and everything was on one DVD. Previously, if I remember correctly, they even had auto-detection which meant it would complete a 32 bit or 64 bit installation depending on your hardware. That way, one DVD for 32 bit and 64 bit systems. Now it seems it's reverted and been segregated again :wall:

As to why Mandriva dropped the traditional install media in favour of Live only media for installation your guess is good as mine.

Some possible explanations:

1. Maintaining an interactive installer requires more effort than the live-install.

2. The installer is written in perl. (They fired all the perl programmers in the re-organisation last September.)

3. They don't need the installer for their OEM products, which seems to be their main target market at present.

IIRC there was a prolonged period earlier this year when the net-install on cooker was not working. They eventually fixed it, but it was obviously not a high priority.

Jim

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest Andy Duplay

So, after all the talk, let me pose the question again: IS Gnome available for Man2011?

I have never liked KDE, find Gnome more usable for my needs, and have no desire to learn to like KDE.

If Gnome isn't available, I am afraid I will have to move on. Unfortunately, I have been using Mandriva since the early Mandrake days, and just don't have the time or the energy to relearn how to set all of my servers up.

• 5 months later...
Guest jamesthm

So, after all the talk, let me pose the question again: IS Gnome available for Man2011?

I have never liked KDE, find Gnome more usable for my needs, and have no desire to learn to like KDE.

If Gnome isn't available, I am afraid I will have to move on. Unfortunately, I have been using Mandriva since the early Mandrake days, and just don't have the time or the energy to relearn how to set all of my servers up.

Bit late but YES Gnome2 is available as an option in Mandriva Powerpack 2011 (32 Bit and 64 Bit). It gives you the chose of which GUI you want!

Im using it now, you don't even need to install KDE at all! (Ive never installed it!)

If you decide to go with Mandriva One though that will install KDE as default (I think!) So you will have to install GNOME2 from the repo!

Edited by jamesthm