status of GNOME. From what has been posted on the web it seems that

GNOME is not an install option, pretty frightening for somebody who

does not like KDE and does not know his way around it. GNOME is

supposed to be available from the repositories but that could mean

trouble for me. I have never attempted to install a complete desktop

environment and doing that from a KDE base is likely to make my hair

fall out. The other reservation I have is about GNOME 3. If that is

all that is available it would be better to stick to 2010.2 and GNOME

2 and lose out on some software upgrades.

So, what about GNOME?

Len

During the install you can choose which desktop to use as your default.

Not with 2011, it's a live dvd and installs just like the live cd.

You get one desktop and that is KDE.

One way around that would be to change your sources to 2011 and do an update or you could use the boot.iso and install over the internet.

Thanks for the responses guys. Never tried a network install and with a low bandwidth it does not look attractive. Will the PowerPack also be KDE-centric does anyone know or will there be more options? I would like to avoid GNOME 3.0 because it is said to be difficult for developers/programmers who need lots of windows open at the same time. Not sure that makes sense but it is what I have heard.

Len

I see no sign of GNOME 3.0 in Cooker so that shouldn't be a problem.

Mandriva hasn't said what install media will be used for PowerPack or even whether it will be available for this release. All we can do is wait and pray.

That's a pain that they've completely dropped Gnome support. There goes another load of users, but as long as Mageia keeps Gnome in their distro, they will grow even bigger because people will move to this no doubt as it's almost the same as Mandriva.

It may be that Mandriva can longer cover all the bases with

diminishing manpower and the need to remain viable. The fact that the

majority of the Mandriva community favour KDE must be a factor in that

decision. Mageia maintains that bias but since it is community based

there seems to be less danger that GNOME would be dropped any time

soon.

That's a pain that they've completely dropped Gnome support.

In my opinion people are reading this all wrong.

Gnome as well as LXDE, Enlightenment etc. will still be in the repositories just like they have been, the only change I see is a streamlining of the install media. There will only be two ISOs, one for 32bit and one for 64bit instead of the twelve ISOs for 2010.2 :juggle:

That's far less work for the paid employees come release time and if the community remains strong we should see a full range of media shortly after release. They won't be officially supported by Mandriva but they will be there.

Something obviously went crazy in Mandriva that they felt they had to make so many ISO's in the first place. Originally when I started using Mandrake/Mandriva back in 2005 there was only a couple of ISO images, that could have still been maintained instead of creating so many separate ones in the first place. And they all had KDE/GNOME on them by default.

In my opinion people are reading this all wrong.

Gnome as well as LXDE, Enlightenment etc. will still be in the repositories just like they have been, the only change I see is a streamlining of the install media. There will only be two ISOs, one for 32bit and one for 64bit instead of the twelve ISOs for 2010.2 :juggle:

That's far less work for the paid employees come release time and if the community remains strong we should see a full range of media shortly after release. They won't be officially supported by Mandriva but they will be there.

As long as it will be as simple as urpmi -a gnome I shall be happy with that.

Something obviously went crazy in Mandriva that they felt they had to make so many ISO's in the first place. Originally when I started using Mandrake/Mandriva back in 2005 there was only a couple of ISO images, that could have still been maintained instead of creating so many separate ones in the first place. And they all had KDE/GNOME on them by default.

It was the live CDs and locales that causes the bloat. Building them for KDE and Gnome required four or five ISO's each to split up all the languages and still have room on a CD for the operating system and enough programs to get an idea of what Mandriva is about. Going to a live DVD all languages could be included and still have room for an operating system and enough programs.

I can't say I'm happy with only having live DVDs and no regular install media but it is what it is and we'll see how it works out for Mandriva.

As long as it will be as simple as urpmi -a gnome I shall be happy with that.

Talk about bloat, that command would install anything with gnome in the name, 289 packages by my count in Cooker right now, three quarters or more of them you'll never need or use.

Better to just use

urpmi task-gnome

Then install the few gnome packages that you want that were not included.

That is very sensible advice, Mr. Bergen. (Is it Ken or Keith ??)

Years ago I got caught like that and ran out of partition space so badly that after a reboot I couldn't get to start MCC to enable un-installing unnecessary packages to get back to normal operation again. I had to do a reinstall all over again. :-)

Cheers. John.