My own Live CD

chris:b

Hi, i'm new to this live-cd thing, and I'd love to try anna's guide to make one, but could someone tell me pls WHEN and HOW do I set my /home folder to an USB flash disk? Thnk you!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Valander

Hi there,

I'm trying to set up a live cd based on Mandrake 10.0 OE for a school project (including a couple of custom-written programs).

Anyway, I forced the install of mklivecd-0.5.8-1mdk.noarch.rpm (with --nodeps), and was able to make an image (yay!) and burn it to cd.

However, when it tries to boot, I get the following error:

Mounting loop image on /loopfs: Mounting /dev/loop/0 on /loopfs failed: Invalid argument

And then it dumps me into ash.

Any suggestions? This is the first time I've tried making a live cd, so I'm not even really sure where the problem may lie. Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

BTW, using 2.6.7-2.tmb.6mdk kernel from the 10.1 contribs.

EDIT again:

Saw a mention in the mklivecd-devel list that this could be caused by a bad burn. 4 discs later I'm pretty sure this is not the issue.

I made sure that I've got:

cloop-utils (even though it doesn't look like it is used?; tried cloop-utils-1.02-1mdk after reading that there was an issue with later version, as well as cloop-utils-1.02-5mdk);

mediacheck (mediacheck-7.3-1mdk);

squashfs (squashfs-tools-1.4-0.1mdk);

busybox (busybox-1.00-0.pre5.1mdk)

I did all the updates for 10.0 OE as of what's there today (3/7/05).

I was really hoping this wouldn't be such an issue. I have to get this project done by 3/9. :(

Edited by Valander

If you have syslinux installed, and added the file install_any.pm, and if you use a 2.6.x kernel (here you can't use cloop, but you need compress with squashfs) -

hmm, long ago that I used a mdk 10.0 system.

I can't remember if the 10.1/contrib tmb kernel already used squashfs2.0, but I think yes. If so, you would need the squashfs-tools 2.0 (from 10.1 contrib), not the old squashfs 1.4 (from contrib 10.0). I am not sure, but you can try.

And make sure that you default in your build line to squashfs, not to cloop (doesn't work with 2.6. kernels.)

Can you report back?

If it was the wrong squashfs tools - then it's wrong in the howto - I wrote it afterwards , when I was already using 10.1.

--chris

Guest Valander

Hi anna/chris, (which do you prefer?)

Thanks for the reply. I had all those things installed, and just had no joy.

I finally bit the bullet around 2am my time, and just installed 10.1 on my working drive. Did all the updates, and grabed your archive of files and followed your instructions.

Booted first shot! :lol:

I was a bit worried about going to 10.1 since I'd developed my app (a forensics toolkit) on 10.0, but after a full day of testing on it, it seems that everything works fine. So, I now have a live Mandrake 10.1 CD with my senior project on it! YAY!

Still really confused about the 10.0 issue, though. My best guess is that possibly an updated package that got introduced since the last time you made a 10.0-based livecd is responsible.

Either way, I have a booting livecd now, so it's all good!

Thanks for the info--your FAQ and instructions (and all the helpful feedback here) really did help make the process not too painful.

Edited by Valander

Congrats, Valander :beer:

I had a look into our first MCNLive Release which was based on mdk 10.0, exactly the same kernel and the tools you used, and it worked. A difference was a rather customized hwdetect, but that can't be the boot problem because hwdetect is later involved, and I didn't installed *any* updates. Maybe some changed initscripts or mkinitrd or a package from the sec./off. updates broke the scripts. Unsure about it.

But hey, 10.1 worked for you :-)

--chris

• 5 months later...

Thanks steppenwolf :-)

Unfortunately the HowTo here on the board is rather outdated, I just don't find the time to actively participate since the Dutch MDV Community has kidnapped me.

Thanks, spinynorman, to mention it.

You will always find a recent Step-by-Step on my website:

http://home.tiscali.nl/berenstraat/howto_en.htm

(mods or admins: feel free to copy it over)

Oh before I forget it: it's not the MkCD (this is the tool to create a distribution install CD from MDV), it's the mklivecd project :-)

--chris

Unfortunately the HowTo here on the board is rather outdated, I just don't find the time to actively participate since the Dutch MDV Community has kidnapped me.

Hi, anna. The management are currently planning to update those FAQs which have got out of date. Keep up the good work. :)