My own Live CD

chris:b

Glenn,

i have not tried it with a fully cooker version incl. kernel 2.6.

KDE 3.2 and koffice and apps should not be a problem.

And you could try diff. kernels ,in cooker contrib, the ones that end with .tmb.

Give it a try, I'd say - and report back. There are still some minor and also major (Kaffeine crashes, which is my main application on the livecd) bugs, though. Good luck!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What would be handy (if it doesnt exist already) would be a live CD with all of the Freevo software and associated dependencies all configured and ready to run.

Of course , you would need to have a TV card in your box, but it would be seriously handly to just pop a cd in and your box turns into a Tivo-style system.

Now THAT would be seriously cool.

See it at http://www.freepia.org/

It seems to be exactly what you are looking for (or almost).

B) Lopo

There is now a Portuguese release of my LiveCD, KDE 3.2.1, KOffice, Kontact, konversation, Apollon, kopete, gthumb, gftp, bluefish and more (...)

Hi,

Great effort. It is not only a portuguese version. It is a step forward in relation to your last version. Congratulations :D

Meanwhile, you don't mind I issue here a few notes? Hope not.

1. I noticed that some of the apps that are not translated in RL are in portuguese here in my PC (Mdk 9.2).
  2. Why not use KBear instead of gFTP? KBear is a KDE App.
  3. One more thing... If it is planned to be a portuguese version you should include the brand new OpenOffice.org 1.1.0 Portuguese instead of KOffice becasue it benefits from a joint effort from Sun Portugal, Portuguese Government and several portuguese companies. It has also increasing support both in Portugal and Brasil.
    For a portuguese version it will be an better choice rather than KOffice that has sparce support :cheesy:
  4. And finally, for those apps I saw in your screenshots, K3B has also a portuguese version :D

Best,

B) Lopo

Edited by humaneasy

Kaffeine crashes, which is my main application on the livecd

I also had this problem. I solved it with some config testing in KDE's Sound Configuration and removing Totem (which crashed a lot more).

It doesn't crash now, but I'm using Mandrake 9.2 OEM with a few add-ons ;)

B) Lopo

Edited by humaneasy

1. I noticed that some of the apps that are not translated in RL are in portuguese here in my PC (Mdk 9.2).

2. Why not use KBear instead of gFTP? KBear is a KDE App.

3. One more thing... If it is planned to be a portuguese version you should include the brand new OpenOffice.org 1.1.0 Portuguese instead of KOffice becasue it benefits from a joint effort from Sun Portugal, Portuguese Government and several portuguese companies. It has also increasing support both in Portugal and Brasil.
    For a portuguese version it will be an better choice rather than KOffice that has sparce support :cheesy:

4. And finally, for those apps I saw in your screenshots, K3B has also a portuguese version :D

Best,

B) Lopo

Thanks, Lopo.

ad 1/4: If I'd know *how* to get the pt locale to work for the mentioned apps, lol

ad 2: kbear doesn't work for me, not stable here. gftp is.

ad 3: you know it isn't planned to be an official 'release', just a demonstration of the mklivecd scripts. OO is about 100 MB. I like to keep my livecd simple, fast and small.

There are around 100 Live CD available, many of them including OO, so no problem for the Portugal market :thumbs:

Btw: the iso is on your server since last night - did you test it?

Kaffeine crashes, which is my main application on the livecd

I also had this problem. I solved it with some config testing in KDE's Sound Configuration and removing Totem (which crashed a lot more).

It doesn't crash now, but I'm using Mandrake 9.2 OEM with a few add-ons ;)

B) Lopo

The problem with kaffeine was only on the 10.0 Beta with xfree 4.4. - solved after they reverted to xfree 4.3.

Kaffeine is rock stable in 9.2 and 10.0 CE, no audio- video- or streaming-problems at all :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

at the current moment anna's howto is being converted to follow the standards of the FAQ and HowTo forum, so it's not available to regular users until the conversion has been finished. we apologize for this minor inconvenience but it's simply so that the post follows the standards (in the way of layout and design) of all threads in the FAQ/HowTo forum.