• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, SoulSe, coverup and others for your compliments. Just a few words here:

I don't plan a new distro :lol:

I've started to play with the mklivecd thing, and had a result. Important for me was to share the knowledge: how do you do this?

At the moment I am translating the English HowTo into German, and I've added this stuff to my website.

And sending the livecd to a German friend who will test it and give it to other testers.

The best approach for new Linux user is to start with the normal Mandrake 9.2 edition, or with PCLinuxOS. My personal oppinion.

All I did was *using* Mandrake 9.2.

The *Rainbow* thingie only came in there because I own the domain rainbowlinux.org (I always wanted to have a own domain, lol).

Question: anyone tried the mklivecd scripts? Any results? - I am feeling a bit alone, would love to see at least 3 more ... :D

I made some progess.

The CD now running kernel 2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk, KDE 3.1.5, more KDE goodies. I'll keep my direction to stay 100% compatible with 9.2, so that the later installed system is ready tu use the normal urpmi sources.

With the recent cvs version of mklivecd I was able to add extra files to the cd, so that a user can browse some help files on the cd before starting the pc. Very sweet. vfat and ntfs partitions now mounted at win_c, win_d and so on.

I had the chance to test it on some computers at work, p III, 966 mhz, 128 mb ram, 4 (!) MB video card onboard (Intel something), onboard sound (Intel something). I didn't expect it to work - but it does, a bit slow but usable. - In the weekend it will be tested on a colleagues newest Asus Laptop (2 months old), wlan - I want the wlan working without too much configs afterwards.

Anna

Congrads on the live CD.. i am making a live cd as well.. how did you completed the last to entrys... the ghost scripting and the KDE3.1.5.... i would like to had them to my cd.. currently uncompressed my system is about 685 MB compressed its 245.. Any ideas would be great... i am running the KDE 3.1.3 and the koffice and GDM...

thanks

glenn

Hi Glenn,

congrats to you too! Glad to find your posting here. :)

Your questions:

- KDE 3.1.5: you 'll find a complete collection of all rpm's here:

http://www.online-chars.de/

They are built using the spec's of MDK 9.2, sources are available too, I've tested them, they are stable. The site is in German, let Google translate it. You can setup a urpmi source or download them manually (in this case, rpm -Uvh ...). Because KDE is the only DE on my system I installed it in telinit 3. - Not sure about a en-locale, though.

- what do you mean with: ghost scripting ?

Can you tell a bit more, I am curious. Which version of mklivecd do you use? And what about the livecd-install?

Currently my uncompressed system is 705 MB, compressed 250 MB. A list of the installed rpm's:

packetlist.txt

What would be handy (if it doesnt exist already) would be a live CD with all of the Freevo software and associated dependencies all configured and ready to run.

Of course , you would need to have a TV card in your box, but it would be seriously handly to just pop a cd in and your box turns into a Tivo-style system.

Now THAT would be seriously cool.

What would be handy (if it doesnt exist already) would be a live CD with all of the Freevo software and associated dependencies all configured and ready to run.

Of course , you would need to have a TV card in your box, but it would be seriously handly to just pop a cd in and your box turns into a Tivo-style system.

Now THAT would be seriously cool.

Why not building this CD, kde-head?

- Install all needed freevo stuff

- install mklivecd

- # mklivecd myfreevo.iso

- have fun :D

I am not interested in TV stuff.

My LiveCd plays all vcd's, svcd's, cd's, dvd's, mpg's, avi etc - and ogg, mp3 ...

Second focus is the internet.

Edited by anna

hmmm...maybe i will so. Good idea - i can see it being useful for those small cube shaped home entertainment PCs that are coming out now,and are designed to be situated in your living room.

Here's an example of one of these systems

Instead of using Winblows Media Center, just pop the cd in.

On another note,there's a superb multimedia Live CD distro with lots of audio and video editing and streaming stuff on it :

Dyne:Bolic

Edited by kde-head

On another note,there's a superb multimedia Live CD distro with lots of audio and video editing and streaming stuff on it :

Dyne:Bolic

Thanks for the interesting link.

What I've found there:

The customisation services we offer

Light customisation of dyne:bolic with logos and backgrounds, splash screen, special boot sounds and more: put your own bells & whistles

made in 1 - 7 days will cost about 300-400EU

Customized editions of dyne:bolic including extra media,ad hoc setup of interface look&feel, development and/or inclusion of applications

made in 1 - 2 weeks, consulting and implementation can cost up to 4000EU

Ad Hoc bootable CD solution: full case study and rapid application development to solve any problem, integration with external devices thru serial/parallel/usb, adaptation to special hardware and specific tasks

made in 1 - 2 months, consulting and implementation can cost more than 4000EU

Wow, 400 ? for some customized sounds. - I changed my sounds within 5 minutes.

I wonder why I don't start to make money :unsure:

Wow, 400 ? for some customized sounds. - I changed my sounds within 5 minutes.

I wonder why I don't start to make money

they are probably making the sounds themselves - the customisation/consultancy stuff looks are if its aimed at either media companies or corporates making home entertainment media boxes. pretty heavy duty stuff - it might also be aimed specifically at radio stations. they'll customise the whole setup with your jingles etc...

speaking of audio stuff , i came across this fascinating link a day or two ago:

Agnula

It's funded by the European Commission - to the tune of a cool 1.7 million Euros.

Source of info here

Edited by kde-head

anna thanks again...

you had noted this... deleted the huge ghostscript package (no pdf support now and printing stuff) .... how was this completed... i know it can be done cleanly

thanks

glenn

you had noted this... deleted the huge ghostscript package (no pdf support now and printing stuff) .... how was this completed... i know it can be done cleanly

Now I understand.

ghostscript has a dependency with kdegraphics and koffice, so it was impossible to remove it using urpmi or MCC. What I did:

# rpm -e --nodeps ghostscript-7.07-0.12mdk

• 2 weeks later...

hi anna

What do you use at the moment? I want to use the KDE 3.2 interface and koffice 1.3... and have the acpi and new notebook features in the kde 3.2 and 2.6 kernel.

Write a bit more about your system. well its a notebook... pro-star d270.. the sis 650 chipset all works but the win modem and the PCMICA which is fine.

Which mklivecd script? mklivecd script .. one that is binary or RPM not SRPM or source

Which kernel? Which DE? 2.6 or the latest 2.4.23 or 24 and KDE 2.3 if possible

How are you building your cd? Its going to be 210MB cd

Have you tested it on diff. hardware? yes it works fine in VMware and an Emachine i have which is an Intel chipset

What is the startup time? not to concern about boot time.. less than a minute is fine.

Do you use the installer? no not at this time