Kview.Kuickshow, Ark and some more ...

Kmix, Kscd, Konsole

Kaffeine and Xine incl. all libs and codecs

Plastic-theme (grey-white)

All MDK config tools (drakes) and MCC

Linux and Win-partitions are mounted.

kernel-tmb-2.4.22.21 (from contrib)

de-keyboard, de-localization

230 MB on the CD. Very fast. Flying on my system: P4, 2 Ghz, 256 MB RAM, Geforce4 64 MB.

When booting from my cd-rw drive, I am able to watch dvd's on my dvd-drive.

Playing all music files from the hd partitions.

Internet is up and running without config (dhcp, router here)

I've tested the cd on our second box at home, quite different hardware: TFT screen, voodoo card, 128 MB RAM - and it's fine too. Hardwaredetect.

I've made the iso and the cd with the script of the mklivecd-project (Jaco and Texstar). I have only one computer with one harddisk, and one swap partition 250 MB. I made the iso from a additonal separate partition ( besides my main mdk 9.2 and win xp) on it where I installed a basic MDK 9.2 with KDE only, removed a lot of stuff, added kaffeine from contrib, libs and codecs from PLF, plastik-theme from contrib. I had to replace the standard kernel (didn't know that this would be so easy) to make it work.

Finally I had around 600 MB on this 4-gb partition. The mklivecd script reduced this to a 230 MB iso-file. Only 7 minutes to create the iso!!

One year ago I've only heard about Linux - and now I am able to make my very own, personal Linux system. Thank you all - over there, out there - on mandrakeusers.org. I've learned here so much!! :juggle: It's really fun!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, anon! Hm, I learned to do this: yesterday afternoon til midnight, lol. Then I had my first working cd. The main problem is, that there is no documentation, howto for the mklivecd. So, time to write a step-by-step for average people like me, I guess. Should I do this in poor English?

Here is a screenshot:

post-21-1074367097.ibf

So, time to write a step-by-step for average people like me, I guess. Should I do this in poor English?

You mean you haven't done that already ? :D

Yes, please do, your English is more than good enough B)

This is getting exciting :o

This morning I made the next step, creating the LiveCD with a *working* graphical hd installer. I still can't believe this. booah, I have to hurry because my partner is coming back from a two days trip to Germany, and I am getting in trouble because of my linux 'obsession'.

The LiveCD (232 MB big) - created with a different, the most recent cvs version (16.1.2004) of the mklivecd project incl. the livecd-install program.

You boot off the cd, login as root to KDE, open a terminal, type: livecd-install

A graphical installer will lead you in four steps through the install process. I've done this, install time: 10 minutes, 645 MB on hda8. Rebooted. And wowww - exactly the same system as on the cd, and everything is working out of the box, working fstab, working modules.conf, startup sound is: initiating startup sequence :D

Having my own distribution now, I guess, yipppiieh. Where is bvc's Texas smiley ??

BTW: this is a very easy way to backup your system and re-install it in case you messed it up.

Anon, sorry kernow, and Paul and all the others: should we make a special MUB Live and Install-CD? Just joking, the best IS Texstar's. My purpose was to create a very small CD. I have yet to learn how I can reduce it more.

I'll try to write a 'HowTo Part 2' - how to do this if anybody is interested.

I would like to encourage everybody with a little bit of time to try the livecd thing. If I (10 months linux experience and almost 50 years old) can do this, you'll be able too. AND IT'S FUN, believe me.

Iphitus: wallpaper - GIMP 1.3.21, I am not familiar with image/paint apps in Windows.

And Artee and bvc: can you remember, when you guided me through my first Linux install here on this board? Thanks!!!!

By the way, how can I get that wallpaper?

I asked the same thing, but it was moved with the tips and tricks here

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?sho...t=0entry87402

others are here (I love black ^_^ )

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=10676

Yes anna, I do remember, and this is the sorta thing that makes all the time I spend here worth it! keep it up! :D

I've added Part 2 to the HowTo in Tips & Tricks.

Meanwhile I've learned how to get rid of the 'Welcome to Mandrake Linux...' message while booting and replaced it. I've reduced the CD now to 196 MB, removed samba-client, deleted the huge ghostscript package (no pdf support now and printing stuff) the nasty way, and for the urpmi database for the cdrom's changed the hdlist.cz to synthesis.hdlist.cz, this is saving a lot of MB's, lol, but without touching the functionality of urpmi.

I still have a full working kde with Koffice, multimedia, Xine and all mdk-tools and of course most command line tools.

But now I need a little help. I just can't find a way to install or build a new bootsplash. The scripts in /usr/share/bootsplash, the config files in /etc/bootsplash - ok I've found them and used them, I *did* run mkinitrd and lilo - but no bootsplash. Someone knows a simple way to do this, I mean creating from a homemade .jpg a bootsplash? I'd need two: the Lilo-bootsplash (how to build it) and the image behind the boot messages. I already browsed the our board, lots of stuff, but didn't help.

Ok,

I'm reading all this right after I've finished with SuSE LiveEval CD (got it an hour ago with an issue of the Linux Format mag). I tried it just now on a PII 233Mhz laptop with at least 128Mb RAM (it runs WinXP quite well, so it may have 256Mb, dunno...)

Well, what can I say... It's been a BIG frustration... It took about 10-15 minutes to get into KDE (at res 800x640, not 1024x768). An attempt to mount Windows harddrive failed (NTFS). YaST failed to configure the PCMCI card while booting and then it took forever for it to start another config process, needless to say I never saw end result of it as the progress bar froze on 0%. I admit I was clicking buttons back and forth quite impatiently (I like things to happen at my will, who doesn't...) and that probably confused the system a lot. Finally I gave up, waited for another maybe 20 minutes for a pause in the CD activity and shut it down. Shutdown was my only good experience.

I should say congrats to Anna on the great job. The screen shots are terrific... But on the other hand, average Windows users may never get to see Anna's work. Instead, they play around those LiveEval CDs and believe me, frustration guaranteed....