My own Live CD

chris:b

Dear Anna,

Eager to read your howto, but no ref seems to be working  :wall:

Directly accessing it from http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showforum=22

I am getting an error:

You do not have permission to view this topic

If my post appears here, this may mean I am a regitered user and mklivecd is a secret topic?

B)

Sergei,

no it's not a secret. It's in progress to get moved to the FAQ section - and not yet visible. Please check the FAQ section in the next days. The mods are working on it :-)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

I've uploaded a newer version of all needed rpm's to build a LiveCD on Mandrake 10.0, also included a new version of livecd-install and the file install_any.pm:

Download of the tar.gz:

http://home.tiscali.nl/berenstraat/mdktest...t/10tuts.tar.gz

This archive contains: 
- the rpm's for creating a LiveCD on Mandrake 10.0
- the file install_any.pm, copy it to /usr/lib/libDrakX
- the file livecd-install, copy it to /usr/sbin

known bugs: (not critical)

livecd-install:
After the installation to the harddisk, the fstab has weird entries when you have Windows fat32 and/or ntfs partitions. Solutions: 
- create missing mount points: /mnt/win_c, mnt/win_d, and so on.
- to correct the cdrom entries, run mcc --> mount points

The format option in the livecd-install script works now :-)

New features:

- Many languages included

- integrated: advanced partitioning (will launch diskdrake)

- set root password

- delete the 'guest user' account

- create new user account

--anna

( I can't edit the Tips/HowTo thread ...)

Edited by anna

• 3 months later...

I've made a directory on my home page where I upload ready-to-use rpm's of the cvs version of the mklivecd scripts:

http://home.tiscali.nl/berenstraat/mklivecd/

(new release 2004-09-12)

If you've added the contrib tree to your urpmi sources and you have all install cd's for MDK 10, you only need the two rpms: mklivecd ...rpm and livecd-utils ...rpm

The other rpms are there if you get dependancy errors when lacking the right urpmi sources ;-)

If you prefer the cvs sources - here is a short how to.

Install cvs:

# urpmi cvs

Then in a terminal as user:

$ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.livecd.berlios.de:/cvsroot/livecd co mklivecd

$ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.livecd.berlios.de:/cvsroot/livecd co livecd-utils

This will download the cvs sources to your /home/$user directory, under the new dirs:

mklivecd and livecd-utils

Now you can build your own rpm, open a terminal window in the dir and as root:

# make rpm

You need some development packages and rpmbuild packages to be able to build rpms!

The rpm's will be placed in: /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/noarch

Edited by anna

• 2 months later...

Update on the HowTo for Mandrake 10.0:

Building a LiveCD with Mandrakelinux 10.0 OE

Step 1

* Install Mandrakelinux 10.0 Official on one / partition, 3 - 5 GB, that depends on your needs. Make sure you have enough RAM and/or SWAP. Example: I am building a ~300 MB iso off a 700 MB big installed system, got 256 MB RAM and a big SWAP partition (but 250 MB SWAP might be enough). Make sure you have the syslinux rpm installed: # urpmi syslinux

Extract the file install_any.pm.gz from your first mdk install cd (/Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/bin/perl-install) to /usr/lib/libDrakX

Step 2

* Make your system as small as possible. You iso is limited to 700 MB, your system should not extend 1,8 GB. Better start with a pretty small installation.

Step 3

* Add contrib (for 10.0) to your urpmi sources.

Step 4

* Install the kernel-tmb-2.6.7-2.tmb.6mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm on your system. You can find the rpm on the *contrib 10.1* ftp mirrors.

Step 5

* Install the latest stable mklivecd scripts for 10.0, the version is 0.5.8-1mdk, get them here: http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfi...p?group_id=1149

The mklivecd rpm contains the scripts for building your livecd, the livecd-utils rpm is only needed if you want to implement a harddisk installation in your LiveCD. Use urpmi to install the rpms, it will take care of the dependencies, you have added contrib to your urpmi sources, don't you? And you might need CD 4, if you don't have it, just add also the /main ftp tree to your sources!

Step 6

Clickup a console. Get root. Run: mklivecd --help

The command to build your iso is as simple/enhanced as you want.

Examples:

# mklivecd myown.iso

# mklivecd --verbose --kernel 2.6.7-2.tmb.6mdk --resolution 800x600 --fstab=rw,auto --splash=no --keyboard=fr --usbhome rain.iso

The script takes care of compressing the files and building a bootable image, and will cleanup after it is done.

Step 7

Burn your iso. Have fun. - Problems? Read the mailing list archives of the mklivecd project.

http://livecd.berlios.de/

(these steps only work on a Mandrake 10.0 system. For 10.1, please read the mailing list)

I can't edit the FAQ entry. May I ask a mod to add the above text?

A HowTo for Mandrake 10.1 will come the next weeks.

The howto can also be found on my website:

http://home.tiscali.nl/berenstraat/howto_en.htm

--chris

• 3 weeks later...

hi,

I have a problem involving mklivecd cvs + mdk 10.1. After several attempts I was finally able to create a working livecd but I have a problem: the livecd uses the same settings (for sound card and for screen, resolution, graphic card) that I have on the desktop on wich I build it.

e.g. livecd loads with an 800x600 res (the resolution of my crt) even if it is running on a laptop with a 1024x768 flat panel ( it happens also if I give to mklivecd the "resolution=1024x768" parameter or if at boot i enter "livecd xres=1024x768").

Anyone can help me?

hi,

I have a problem involving mklivecd cvs + mdk 10.1. After several attempts I was finally able to create a working livecd but I have a problem: the livecd uses the same settings (for sound card and for screen, resolution, graphic card) that I have on the desktop on wich I build it.

e.g. livecd loads with an 800x600 res (the resolution of my crt) even if it is running on a laptop with a 1024x768 flat panel ( it happens also if I give to mklivecd the "resolution=1024x768" parameter or if at boot i enter "livecd xres=1024x768").

Anyone can help me?

Looks like your hwdetect which is part of the mklivecd scripts is not working.

See #50 in this thread how to check out the cvs, how to make an rpm. And install this rpm.

You posted this question also on the livecd users mailing list. I'd suggest that you give more information (not here, on the list), error messages, how you installed the cvs version, the built command etc.

I've already posted on the ML more information about my configuration(particularly xorg.conf).

How have I installed mklivecd cvs?

From my /home/user directory as root:

#export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@cvs.livecd.berlios.de:/cvsroot/livecd

# cvs login (There is no anonymous password, a simple Enter will do)

# cvs -z3 co mklivecd

I followed these instructions from the mklivecd README.

Then I install with : #make

#make install

The only thing I can tell is that maybe I have problems with perl modules used by harddrake to make hardware and sound configuration, infact in my previous attempts to install mklivecd 5.8.1 from rpm I had problems of failed dependencies in harddrake::sound and other modules even if I had that modules in the proper path

I have installed perl 5.8.5 and version 10.1.26 of drake tools (I also tried 10.1.27 with same results)

I create my livecd.iso with this command: mklivecd --verbose --kernel=2.6.7-2.tmb.6mdk --splash=no --fstab=rw,auto --keyborad=it livecd.iso

thanks for your help

Edited by marco

Guest guido_a

Mandrake 10.1 + mklivecd mini-howto

Here it is my personale recipe to cook a livecd using mandrake 10.1 and mklivecd cvs.

This mini-howto is aimed to help those who have met with difficulties in hardware detection running their own live cd based on mdk 10.1 and is an integration of anna howto, so refer to that for anything isn't described here.

Download mklivecd cvs from livecd.berlios.de pages than edit mklivecd.in module substituting in line 998 the string "$o_root" with "$::prefix".

With this small patch my livecd(based on Mandrake 10.1 Community) was finally able to detect correctly the hardware of every machine on which I runned it.

Now copy install_any.pm module from your 1st installation cd (the path is: /install/stage2/live/usr/bin/perl-install/) in /usr/lib/libDrakX.

If you foresee to use your livecd also on laptops I suggest to install synaptics driver from your installation cds.

Install and run mklivecd

Burn your livecd.iso

enjoy :)

Guido <guido_azzollini@yahoo.it>

Edited by guido_a

Thanks Guido,

you found the bug obv. introduced in the last cvs (1.126) version of mklivecd.

Most of us were still working with 1.125 or earlier cvs version, I guess.

Can you join the livecd users list? It's fun :-)

I've just posted there what you have found.

You won't find 'anna' - I am posting on the list using my real name: Chris.

Thanks, again!!!

Guest guido_a
Thanks Guido,

you found the bug obv. introduced in the last cvs (1.126) version of mklivecd.

Most of us were still working with 1.125 or earlier cvs version, I guess.

Can you join the livecd users list? It's fun :-)

I've just posted there what you have found.

You won't find 'anna' - I am posting on the list using my real name: Chris.

Thanks, again!!!

Already joined

Already posted :)

(on developers ML)

• 2 weeks later...

The new HowTo for 10.1 OE:

Building a LiveCD based on Mandrakelinux 10.1 Official

This step by step HowTo describes how you can master a LiveCD from an installed system.

You should be familiar with: doing basic works on command line, setup additional software sources on a Mandrake system, using 'urpmi' to install and remove software.

0. Mastering a LiveCD requires a minimum of 256 MB RAM and in addition a swap partition. 250 MB should be enough if you create a small LiveCD ( ~ 300 MB ), go for 2 GB if you are planning a bigger system.

1. Install a clean Mandrakelinux 10.1 Official on one / partition. Don't forget the swap partition. Install the available official updates. Don't install nvidia or ati drivers.

2. Keep your system simple, and: keep it small. Start with a used space of 800 - 900 MB, this is a full featured KDE system. 'df' is the command to control the used space on your harddrive. Take your time to uninstall (Mandrake Control Center) all unneeded software. A default Mandrake installation includes a lot of stuff that you can safely get rid off. And if urpmi complains about dependencies and wants to uninstall too much, you may want to experiment with: rpm -e --nodeps. That will erase single packages.

Configure the look & feel of your graphical environment. The LiveCD will look the same.

Make sure that /etc, /home, /lib, /root, /var is not too big. Otherwise you'll be running out of RAM when starting the LiveCD. Examples: Don't put many (already compressed) video or music files into your home dirctory. Don't have two kernel versions (/lib) installed. Clean or uninstall your urpmi databases in /va/lib/urpmi.

3. Add 'contrib' and 'main' to your urpmi software sources. Install the 'kernel 2.6.7 tmb' from 'contrib' on your system. (MCC) The default kernel 2.6.8 won't work on a LiveCD! Reboot with your new kernel, make sure you are running it: uname -r. Uninstall the default 2.6.8 kernel, again reboot.

4. The next step is to install the mklivecd scripts that will build your .iso file.

I've made an archive which contains: a most recent and known working mklivecd.rpm (from cvs, 02.01.2005), the file install_any.pm and this HowTo: http://home.tiscali.nl/mklivecd/livecd_101.tar.gz

Unpack the archive to your home directory and install the rpm, using the urpmi command. This will take care of all dependencies and will downloadd and install more stuff. You did setup your urpmi sources (contrib, main), hey?

As root copy the file install_any.pm to /usr/lib/libDraKX

If you want to include an installer into your LiveCD you also need the package livecd-utils.rpm. Get it here: http://download.berlios.de/livecd/livecd-u...1mdk.noarch.rpm

5. Clickup a console. Get root. Run: mklivecd --help

The command to build your iso is as simple/enhanced as you want.

Examples:

# mklivecd myown.iso

# mklivecd --verbose --resolution 800x600 --fstab=rw,auto --splash=no --keyboard=fr rainbow.iso

The script takes care of compressing the files and building a bootable image, and will cleanup after it is done.

Burn your iso. Have fun.

6. If you are running into problems, please read the archives of the livecd-users mailinglist at berlios de:

http://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/livecd-users, or even better, join the list.

7. Some notes on Kernel problems with Mandrake 10.1 OE. To build a LiveCD with the mklivecd scripts the kernel has to be patched with squashfs. The default Mandrake 10.1 kernel (2.6.8.1) has the wrong, not working patch! And the 2.6.8 kernel has broken append options! You can use the 2.6.7 tmb kernel from contrib. It's working fine. If you want a newer kernel version (2.6.9 or 2.6.10), you need to patch and compile your own kernel. More info on the users-list or on the irc channel #pclinuxos (efnet), where you can talk to the developers of the mklivecd scripts.

8. When building your iso, you can specify a standard keyboard layout. Default is the US keyboard. Later on your LiveCD you can use a cheatcode (keyb=fr) to alter the layout. If you want an easy way to change the keyboard while running the LiveCD, you need to edit the file '/usr/lib/libDrakX/Xconfig/xfree.pm ', before building your iso.

Lines 25 and 71, change the resp. 'keyboard' to 'kbd', that will load the correct keyboard driver.

Hmmm, may I ask a moderator to copy the text to the FAQ section? Spiny?

Thank you :-) And a Happy New Year !!!

--chris