TrueType Fonts [solved]

banjo

I have a new Mandy 2010.2 installation from the KDE Live CD. Most of it is working fine, but I still cannot seem to get the TrueType fonts installed and working with OpenOffice. I followed the instruction out at howtoforge.com ( which worked fine for Mandy 2008 a few years ago ), but I still do not have the fonts available. The instructions install an RPM from www.pbone.net

The installer claimed it was installing lots of stuff, but I still don't have the fonts I want ( Times Roman, Courier).

Can anybody give me a clue as to where to start looking? I am not familiar with where the font stuff goes.

Thanks,

Banjo

(_)=='=~

Edit: According to my MCC I do have both Times and Courier installed, but they still do not appear in Openoffice.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

Edited by banjo

Oops bad move following a howto downloading rpms from pbone.net. The best way is doing it using the Mandy repositories through urpmi. You could have downloaded and installed the wrong rpms which put fonts in the wrong place. Also, we don't know if major changes to the directory structures have occurred since the take-over of Mandriva.

If you had all your easyurpmi repos installed, you should have just been able to find a list of all packages that you could install that have ttf in their name. Of course, you won't need to install all the ones on the list, as a lot of them are for other languages as well other than English.

urpmf --name ttf

would filter all available packages for install with ttf in their name, from the console. Of course, you can use the GUI apps for installing packages as well. I'd suggest removing the ones you downloaded and installed manually.

OK. Thanks for the info. I had no idea that there were fonts in the repos. Live and learn.

I actually got the link to pbone from a link on this forum to the tutorial at howtoforge which had the link to pbone. Maybe that is too many links to trust. :unsure: . I followed that tutorial for Mandy 2008 and it worked fine. It must be a stale rpm.

Oh well. Back to the drawing board. I am not at my Linux box right now, but I might try to uninstall the other rpm and do it through the repositories. As I remember, the other rpm did a lot of stuff to the system, but I don't remember what all of it was.

Thanks,

Banjo

(_)=='=~

I am back at my Linux box and checked out the font situation. I brought up the MCC and checked out what fonts are installed. Here is the list of the installed fonts packages:

fonts-ttf-bitstream-vera
fonts-ttf-decoratives
fonts-ttf-dejavu
fonts-ttf-liberation
fonts-ttf-west_european

It turns out that the Liberation fonts are GPL fonts that replace the fonts I was looking for. Quoting from the Wikipedia:

Liberation is the collective name of four TrueType font families: Liberation Sans, Liberation Sans Narrow, Liberation Serif and Liberation Mono. These fonts are metric-compatible with Monotype Corporation's Arial, Arial Narrow, Times New Roman, and Courier New (respectively), the most commonly used fonts on Microsoft's Windows operating system and Office suite.

Here is a link to the whole Wikipedia article:

Wikipedia on Liberation Fonts

The Liberation fonts are available in OpenOffice, so I just have to use the Liberation fonts to get the look I want. I don't have to install or uninstall anything. The fonts I need were installed under a different name all along. :wall:

How come Google didn't know about this? :lol2:

Banjo

(_)=='=~