/usr/bin/draksnapshot-applet is running [solved]

banjo

My CPU just got real busy for no apparent reason, so I fired up the system monitor, and it told me that it was draksnapshot-applet that was using the cycles. I do not know what this utility is doing or why it is running.

Google has been little help on discovering what this is and what it does. There are only generic statements that it is doing "backups". What backups? Where? How?

I do my own backups manually and do not want an automatic daemon doing that for me.

I went into MCC=>System=>Shapshots, and it shows that snapshots are not enabled. And yet I get:

ps ax | grep snapshot
9420 ?        S      0:50 /usr/bin/perl /usr/bin/draksnapshot-applet
18673 pts/1    S+     0:00 grep --color snapshot

I would like to understand what this utility is doing, and if I cannot find out, get rid of it.

I have not found a man page for it. I cannot find an info page for it.

Is there anybody out there who can clue me in?

Thanks

Banjo

(_)=='=~

Edited by banjo

For a number of years now (in Mandriva and now Mageia) it has always been among a large number of items that I un-install immediately after doing a system install. I have never felt it needed to be there so just I got rid of it.

Having never had trouble being without it, it confirmed I didn't need it.

As Daniel has suggested, just get rid of it and don't waste your valuable time over it. I'M sure it has some use but I haven't found just what that is.

Cheers. John.

I expect that if snapshots are not enabled, then in general it's not doing anything. The daemon is running and that is all. The same on my laptop with Evolution Notify, that is there for calendar alarms. Now if I was using Evolution, it would be perfectly fine to have it enabled, as I would want to know about alarms that I had set. But as I'm not, the daemon is running but I'm not using it.

You can safely remove it, to free up the little memory that the daemon is using. You have no scheduled jobs or anything, so no backups are being made - as you've not configured it.

Dicho y hecho.

I uninstalled it, logged out and logged back in, and it's gone.

I think that the snapshot daemon was also responsible for bothering us with popup boxes saying "USB device ready for backup" every time we plugged in a USB disk drive or thumb drive. We shall see when I do my backups later today.

Thanks for the info.

Banjo

(_)=='=~