"Error in file" message while running urpmi

Today I did a package update using urpmi from command line. Why the error and warning messages? See below, there are two "Warning in file" messages and six "Error in file" messages. Is this a bug that should be reported?

starting installing packages
created transaction for installing on / (remove=0, install=0, upgrade=9)
Preparing...                     ##################################################################################################################
     1/9: mozilla-thunderbird   ##################################################################################################################
Warning in file "/usr/share/applications/mandriva-mozilla-thunderbird.desktop": usage of MIME type "x-scheme-handler/mailto" is discouraged (the use of "x-scheme-handler" as media type is strongly discouraged in favor of a subtype of the "application" media type)
Error in file "/usr/share/applications/writer.desktop": "zz-application/zz-winassoc-wps" is an invalid MIME type ("zz-application" is an unregistered media type)
Error in file "/usr/share/applications/kde4/nepomuksimpleannotator-app.desktop": "all/all" is an invalid MIME type ("all" is an unregistered media type)
Error in file "/usr/share/applications/kde4/kfontview.desktop": "fonts/package" is an invalid MIME type ("fonts" is an unregistered media type)
     2/9: lib64xulrunner1.9.2.18
                                ##################################################################################################################
     3/9: xulrunner             ##################################################################################################################
     4/9: gnome-python-extras   ##################################################################################################################
     5/9: firefox               ##################################################################################################################
     6/9: yelp                  ##################################################################################################################
     7/9: gnome-python-gtkmozembed
                                ##################################################################################################################
     8/9: mozilla-thunderbird-enigmail
     9/9: firefox-en_GB         ##################################################################################################################
removing upgraded package mozilla-thunderbird-0:3.1.10-0.1mdv2010.2.x86_64
Warning in file "/usr/share/applications/mandriva-mozilla-thunderbird.desktop": usage of MIME type "x-scheme-handler/mailto" is discouraged (the use of "x-scheme-handler" as media type is strongly discouraged in favor of a subtype of the "application" media type)
Error in file "/usr/share/applications/writer.desktop": "zz-application/zz-winassoc-wps" is an invalid MIME type ("zz-application" is an unregistered media type)
Error in file "/usr/share/applications/kde4/nepomuksimpleannotator-app.desktop": "all/all" is an invalid MIME type ("all" is an unregistered media type)
Error in file "/usr/share/applications/kde4/kfontview.desktop": "fonts/package" is an invalid MIME type ("fonts" is an unregistered media type)
removing upgraded package xulrunner-1.9.2.17-0.1mdv2010.2.x86_64
removing upgraded package gnome-python-extras-2.25.3-18.11mdv2010.2.x86_64
removing upgraded package yelp-2.30.1-4.11mdv2010.2.x86_64
removing upgraded package firefox-0:3.6.17-0.1mdv2010.2.x86_64
removing upgraded package gnome-python-gtkmozembed-2.25.3-18.11mdv2010.2.x86_64
removing upgraded package mozilla-thunderbird-enigmail-0:3.1.10-0.1mdv2010.2.x86_64
removing upgraded package firefox-en_GB-3.6.17-0.1mdv2010.2.x86_64
unlocking urpmi database
unlocking rpm database

I am truly curious.

Why are you doing an update via the CLI when you could be doing it with the well tried and proven MCC (Mandriva Control Centre).

In all the 7 years I have been using Mandriva and now Mageia, I would have used the cli about twice and that was due to some problems I had in the early years when I misguidedly used rpms that were not from the Mandriva Repository.

Cheers. John.

Hi John,

I do the updates from a command console shell script because I want certain options that I don't know how to invoke from MCC.

Firstly, I save the rpms, using the --noclean option, for use with other machines locally. This way I avoid downloading the same file multiple times over my somewhat slow Internet connection, and also greatly speeds new installs by having most rpms locally.

Secondly, from command line I can specify a low priority level for urpmi using the "nice" command. I don't want the update to impact my other work on the machine.

Thirdly, I like to specify a download rate using --limit-rate option. This allows my Internet phone to work well even during a package update.

Last but not least, I use the --sortmedia option to prioritize PLF repositories over the others. When there are packages with the same name in both the PLF and the other repositories. I usually want the PLF versions.

I wish I knew about a urpmi settings file somewhere that would allow me to specify some or all of the above options for use when using urpmi through MCC.

By the way, here's a script that I use on new installs. It will quickly configure the repositories as I like them. Maybe you will find it useful.

# To see which media are active
# urpmq --list-media active

# reinitialize urpmi's setup
urpmi.removemedia -a

# add some repository media using commands from http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
urpmi.addmedia --distrib --mirrorlist 'http://plf.zarb.org/mirrors/$RELEASE.$ARCH.list'
urpmi.addmedia --distrib --mirrorlist '$MIRRORLIST'

# activate 'Non-free' 'Non-free Updates' 'PLF Non-free'
urpmi.update --no-ignore Non-free 'Non-free Updates' 'PLF Non-free'
urpmi.update -v Non-free 'Non-free Updates' 'PLF Non-free'

I wish I knew about a urpmi settings file somewhere that would allow me to specify some or all of the above options for use when using urpmi through MCC.

Take a look at man urpmi.cfg. I know that no clean and limit rate can be set in /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg. Perhaps the other options can also.

I believe that when there are two packages with the same name and version in plf and the official repo's the plf package will be preferred by urpmi as the "newer" version, since plf is "greater than" mdv.

Jim

Edited by jkerr82508