Where Is Quanta Plus?

banjo

Greetings,

I am busy finishing my setup of Mandriva 2010.2 from a One live CD. All is going well, and I really like the distro, but I still cannot find Quanta Plus. I installed kdewebdev4, but no quanta shows up on the system. Will someone please refresh my memory about how to get Quanta running again?

Thanks,

Banjo

(_)=='=~

It seemed, to me anyway, that development on Quanta Plus had nearly stopped about two years ago. If I recall correctly, the developers were going to upgrade all the code, but haven't seen anything of it. Not sure this is actually what happened to the Quanta project, but I ended up switching to Bluefish. It has a steady amount of contribution to it from the developers and it's community. You might give it a try, and it is available for both Mageia and Mandriva.

GT

Thanks for the info. I have Bluefish and I have used it to good effect. It is a very nice editor. What I miss from Quanta Plus is the upload manager that would automatically upload the files that I have changed in the project. With Bluefish, I am using Filezilla to ftp the files after editing them. Relatively speaking, that is a pain, but I can live with it for a while.

Thanks,

Banjo

(_)=='=~

From here: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Quanta_plus_under_KDE_4

Updated 24 May 2011

When it comes to professional web developing, Quanta Plus has some unreplaceable features that make it a great choice for developers that don't stick only on php-ish based web sites. But Quanta, at the time of writing, is not yet ported to KDE 4, and the road to get it there seems long. That's why lot of developers still stick to KDE 3.5. This guide will attempt to help you make Quanta Plus work under KDE 4. At the time the article has been updated to work under KDE 4.6.

Some people are using KDevelop instead.

Thanks for that explanation. I thought that I was going nuts. I stepped through the 2010.1 tutorial out on HowToForge, and sure enough, there is Quanta Plus checked off [x] as installed by installing kdewebdev4. I guess the tutorial was a copy of a previous version without really checking all the details. No problem. Stuff happens. Those tutorials help out a lot.

I think that I will stick with Bluefish for a while since I am disenchanted with the KDE tools at this point ( I gave up on Kmail and moved to Thunderbird because the Kmail address book no longer works ). I had quite a bit of time and effort invested in my Quanta project, which is now useless. Thank Goodness that I type HTML directly and did not depend on some WYSIWYG tool that would leave me with my web page in some unusable database or something.

While there is always a danger of an application going away, I think I want to standardize on stand-alone, non-integrated applications. They seem to be less flakey.

BTW, Kooka, the scanner interface program, also went away in KDE 4. So I have to go find another scanner tool as well.

Keeps life interesting I guess.

Banjo

(_)=='=~