Installing the 2.6 Kernel

static

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Compilation trouble

1. I can't compile LIRC for 2.6 kernels.

2.6 kernels are not supported yet. There are some patches for brave people. Check the mailing list for latest versions.

Bye bye 2.6, going back to 2.4 now. Sorry, but without remote, what is my machine good for? It's mainly a multimedia entertainment machine.

It's been fun, but I'll wait until they fix the things that are essential to me.

BTW I don't know if the sensors can work or not, decided to first fix my remote control -- and found out that it is no use for the moment... btw the webcam did work, but only in 240x160 mode or so -- not usable either.

Off to reboot back into 2.4.

BTW on sensors: I did find this quote on searching google for 'kernel 2.6 lm_sensors' -- so there is hope there:

The 2.6.x kernel seems to have included the i2c/lm_sensors code bases.

there's

[root@ml root]# ls /lib/modules/2.6.1/kernel/drivers/i2c
algos/  busses/  chips/  i2c-core.ko  i2c-dev.ko  i2c-sensor.ko
[root@ml root]# ls /lib/modules/2.6.1/kernel/drivers/i2c/algos
i2c-algo-bit.ko  i2c-algo-pcf.ko
[root@ml root]# ls /lib/modules/2.6.1/kernel/drivers/i2c/busses
i2c-ali1535.ko  i2c-elektor.ko  i2c-philips-par.ko  i2c-sis5595.ko  i2c-viapro.ko
i2c-ali15x3.ko  i2c-i801.ko     i2c-piix4.ko        i2c-sis630.ko   i2c-voodoo3.ko
i2c-amd756.ko   i2c-i810.ko     i2c-prosavage.ko    i2c-sis96x.ko   scx200_acb.ko
i2c-amd8111.ko  i2c-nforce2.ko  i2c-savage4.ko      i2c-via.ko
[root@ml root]# ls /lib/modules/2.6.1/kernel/drivers/i2c/chips
adm1021.ko  eeprom.ko  it87.ko  lm75.ko  lm78.ko  lm85.ko  via686a.ko  w83781d.ko
[root@ml root]#

I put all the relevent mods in /etc/modprobe.preload and rebooted. They all, some probably unnecessarily, loaded then I tried to install and run lm_sensors and never got the following b4. It use to just die during sensors-detect.

To make the sensors modules behave correctly, add these lines to
/etc/modules.conf:

#----cut here----
# I2C module options
alias char-major-89 i2c-dev
#----cut here----

To load everything that is needed, add this to some /etc/rc* file:

#----cut here----
# I2C adapter drivers
modprobe i2c-isa
# I2C chip drivers
modprobe w83627hf
# sleep 2 # optional
/usr/local/bin/sensors -s # recommended
#----cut here----

WARNING! If you have some things built into your kernel, the list above
will contain too many modules. Skip the appropriate ones! You really should
try these commands right now to make sure everything is working properly.
Monitoring programs won't work until it's done.

so i did, knowing that they didn't exist in 2.6.

[root@ml root]# modprobe i2c-isa
FATAL: Module i2c_isa not found.
[root@ml root]# modprobe w83627hf
FATAL: Module w83627hf not found.
[root@ml root]# /usr/local/bin/sensors -s
bash: /usr/local/bin/sensors: No such file or directory
[root@ml root]# /usr/bin/sensors -s
Can't access /proc file
Unable to find i2c bus information;
For 2.6 kernels, make sure you have mounted sysfs!
For older kernels, make sure you have done 'modprobe i2c-proc'!

so now I have to figure out how to mount sysfs. I'm a bit confused on this devfs/udev/sysfs stuff so I don't know when I'll have the time to try and work this out.

But there does seem to be hope. Will report what I find.

[EDIT]I found :cheeky:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/125629

http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/

http://thomer.com/linux/migrate-to-2.6.html

Edited by bvc

got'em to work.....I think, lol. I'm now mounting sysfs and using udev instead of devfs. The new lm_sensors is loading, but what to use with them? lol. :cheeky: The sensors in gkrellm are not working :angry: . That's enough for today. Here's what the INSTALL file of the new lm_sensors says

DETAILED INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

See QUICKSTART for the simple version.

The driver modules in this package are ONLY for 2.4 kernels 2.4.9 or later !!!

This package REQUIRES i2c-2.8.1 or later!!!

FOR 2.5/2.6 KERNELS, do not attempt to compile this package.

Use the drivers already in the 2.5/2.6 kernel tree.

If you are running a 2.5/2.6 kernel, the ONLY thing you need to

do is 'make user' and 'make user_install'. Do NOT follow the rest

of these instructions.

IF YOU REQUIRE  BTTV AND RELATED MODULES,

See the information in README.

Do NOT follow the rest of these instructions.

It sure will be nice when all this is almost automatic. Edited by bvc

Question guys..

I am running MDK 9.2 on a PII 400mhz laptop with 256 ram. Will I see any performance benefits - as in applications opening more quickly - with the 2.6 kernel??

Thanks..

No. I haven't seen a kernel or patch yet the really gives a noticable diff. It's all in peoples head, like the idea that gentoo is faster. From early 2.4's to the now 2.6, the only gain is less media skip when under heavy strain, but that also depends on other configurations,chipsets, compatabilities as well. Just another kernel, ever so slightly making a diff. The same ever so slight diff can be obtained with the 2.4.

I agree with bvc -- the speed to start programs was and still is mostly dependent on the application (and libs it needs, if they are loaded or not etc) and the throughput of your harddrive; both of these don't get changed no matter what kernel (or even OS) you install.

A different filesystem (ext3 vs Reiser vs ..?) can have some influence, both on the speed of loading and on the cpu load during disk transfers.

If you want to get more out of your machine, limit the services you run (to improve startup times) and if you can, add more ram. If you are used to running only one app at a time (as most die-hard win9x users are used), even that won't make a difference, 256MB seems enough for that.

Just check with the command

free

if your system is taxed or not; if it's using swap, it may get faster if you add RAM; 'may' because it depends on what got moved to swap space...

My output:

$ free
            total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       1032660     518520     514140          0      22968     257836
-/+ buffers/cache:     237716     794944
Swap:      2088368          0    2088368

So currently I'm using 518520KB of my 1GB. Usually, after some time (opening more apps and docs) this fills up to all I have, but swap stays neatly at 0. When ripping and encoding dvds to divx, I see some swap used sometimes (don't do that very often though)...

Kernel 2.6 will help on a system such as yours to avoid skipping of mp3 playback and such during high loads. It's up to you to determine if that is worth the hassle to you.

On the other hand, if you want to be sure the final will run properly on your laptop, betatest as much as you can.

(Which was one of the reasons I wanted to try 2.6, and for the bigger part my system works fine, except for the things that didn't get ported yet, as I mentioned above.)

You need about 4 or 5, but all are quite small compared to the kernel and the kernel source (which you need if you are going to rebuild your graphics driver for 3d accelleration)... 80MB or so is my guess.

Follow the instructions from the first post, so just add the cooker stuff as a repository, then use urpmi to install.

Good luck!

Some links.

Be careful with this one if you're editing startup scripts files. I didn't have to do any editing for udev or sysfs. The changes are in the new initscripts. So make sure udev and sysfs aren't in them first, or get the new initscripts.

http://thomer.com/linux/migrate-to-2.6.html

http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/799

udev

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kern...otplug/udev-FAQ

http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/1893

I'm currently using udev in fstab w/ devfs=nomount in grub at boot. No probs and one plus. You get the short name back w/ df -h instead of the full /dev/path.

I did chroot from fedora

[root@fedora /]# df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/udev/hda6            3.0G  2.7G  253M  92% /
none                  3.0G  2.7G  253M  92% /proc

part of fstab

/udev/hda6 / reiserfs noatime,notail 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
none    /sys  sysfs   defaults  0 0

I could be wrong but, even if you don't use udev and stick with devfs, you should mount sysfs w/ kernel-2.6. All I had to do was

mkdir -p /sysfs

and reboot.

I really want to ge the new kernal but im a little worried that some of the things I have got working wont after the update as im a noobe to linux I really dont relish the thaught of having days / weeks of work go down the pan with the update...

I am also triple booting my machine with XP pro 2k both using the usual M$ OS chooser and im using a boot floppy for Mandrake 9.2 so as you can see it is a little daunting for the upgrade ............................. :wall::cry:

Just get the new initscripts. When 2.6 was first released, initscripts was a dependency, along with udev, and module-init-tools. The only time I've run into trouble was the past couple of days when, after loosing the ML-10-cooker I had (my stupidity) and after running pclinuxos, I installed ML-10-beta1 and tried to not use devfs and use udev. My dvd and cdrw were screwy. I was unable to fix it in an hour so I went back to devfs. All is well. Everything but lm_sensors worked b4 but that was also with the vanilla kernel. Still very n00b friendly. The links above are for info and those that may not want to new initscripts (for whatever weird reason).

You can't really screw anything up and lose anything. It's just another kernel. If you don't like it the kernel and udev can be uninstalled and initscripts is back-compat. What does win/os's/multiboot have to do with a kernel?

Edited by bvc