Installing the 2.6 Kernel

static

The bottom line is that if your have probs w/ nvidia it's not because it's a beta distro. That just doesn't make any sense. I just installed nvidia again on yet another new install of beta2 (I got a new 120gb hd) w/ no probs at all, again. NVIDIA IS NOT distro specific.

It means what it says. Put the link

ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linux...6/Mandrake/RPMS

into the Media Manager as a new ftp source.

rpmdrake will take care of deps so once the source is added search in rpmdrake+ for kernel, find the new kernel and go to town. If it fails to get udev, module-init-tools, and hotplug pick'm yourself. Also as I said above initscripts is a good idea as well.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok bvc,

the bit about adding the ftp source - I figure that I can do that.

the second part, where you say

"If it fails to get udev, module-init-tools, and hotplug pick'm yourself. Also as I said above initscripts is a good idea as well."

is what I don't quite follow.

you'll have to forgive me if my questions seem vague/stupid/both, I've not done any of this kernel stuff before.

I also still don't understand the difference between "kernel, kernel-BOOT and kernel-sources"?

many thanks

regards

John

just get the kernel. about individually picking udev, module-init tools and hotplug do that ONLY if it fails to get them. if it does you'll be back here anyway... :thumbs:

initscripts - initialization scripts...I didn't use them, still ok.

Edited by arthur

Quick question before I do this.

I notice that the FTP of the link on the first post is French.

( ftp://whatever.fr )

I'm not exactly french myself... so would it matter if I just downloaded the newest Kernel from http://kernel.org -- and still used that URL provided?

EDIT --

Add that same link to your Software Media Manager under Configuration >> Packaging

What's the SMM? Configuration >> Packaging?

The only thing I know of remotely close to that would be the Software Sources Manager in the MDK CC. Then from there add a HTTP or FTP source path, naming your path, but what is "relative path to synthesis/hdlist" ???

Edited by RanchNachos

initscripts - initialization scripts...I didn't use them, still ok.

ok? sure. But if you don't have the 2.6 compat initscrips then udev and sysfs aren't being used unless you manually edited the scripts as in the links I provided. Either way....same thing. Do ya see sysfs and udev at boot? Then you know if you have the new initscripts.

RanchNachos, kernels at kernel.org are vanilla and in tar or bunzip2 format. Won't do anything for ya. What do ya have against a french mirror when it's in english?

Hey RanchNachos, mandrake is a french company, so why wouldn't they use a french mirror?

bvc and everyone else who might know.

I'm sorry to labour the point, but what's the difference between the "kernel-2.6.2" and "kernel-BOOT-2.6.2" ?

Im really in the dark. I've downloaded both, and don't follow why the kernel-2.6.2 is 17.3 megs, but the kernel-BOOT-2.6.2 is only 6.5 megs.

So which one should I use ???? Or maybe the question should be which one has worked for you ???

regards

John

The next question is how do I sort this out ???

When I try this

"urpmi kernel-2.6.2.1mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm"

I get this

"Preparing... ##################################################

Installation failed:

file /usr/lib/libuser/libuser_files.so from install of libuser-0.51.7-8mdk conflicts with file from package libuser1-0.51-6mdk

file /usr/lib/libuser/libuser_ldap.so from install of libuser-0.51.7-8mdk conflicts with file from package libuser1-0.51-6mdk

file /usr/lib/libuser/libuser_shadow.so from install of libuser-0.51.7-8mdk conflicts with file from package libuser1-0.51-6mdk"

So if I try this

"urpmi kernel-BOOT-2.6.2.1mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm"

I get this

"Preparing... ##################################################

1:kernel-BOOT-2.6.2.1mdk ##################################################

/sbin/installkernel: illegal option -- s

Usage: installkernel -[NCLlngarhcq] KERNEL_VERSION BOOTIMAGE MAPFILE

-C: Don't copy config files

-l: Add a lilo entry

-i: Dont generate Initrd files

-n: Don't launch lilo.

-N: Don't add entry to bootloader

-g: Add a Grub entry.

-y: Add a yaboot entry.

-L: Don't do link to default /boot/vmlinuz and /boot/System.map

-d: Don't autodetect boot loader.

-a: Autodetect boot loader.

-r: Features for RPM post install.

-c: Don't copy files.

-q: Be quiet.

-h: This help.

error: execution of %post scriptlet from kernel-BOOT-2.6.2.1mdk-1-1mdk failed, exit status 2"

regards

John (still stumped!)

"Preparing...                ##################################################

Installation failed:

file /usr/lib/libuser/libuser_files.so from install of libuser-0.51.7-8mdk conflicts with file from package libuser1-0.51-6mdk

file /usr/lib/libuser/libuser_ldap.so from install of libuser-0.51.7-8mdk conflicts with file from package libuser1-0.51-6mdk

file /usr/lib/libuser/libuser_shadow.so from install of libuser-0.51.7-8mdk conflicts with file from package libuser1-0.51-6mdk"

I got that same error.

It's crap I tell you! CRAP

my extreme apologies.

i'm a duffus.

earlier in the thread i'm inferred that ATI had better Linux support than Nvidia. I got the two mixed up.

Nvidia has the better track record - doing a google for "ati linux support" reveals a petition to get a certain ATI card supported. Whilst doing a "nvidia linux support" reveals a ton of info on Nvidia linux drivers and stories about Nvidia's full support for Linux.

Nvidia steps up linux support

:wall::wall::wall:

but i'm still confused about this - which one releases the drivers as open source? I'm sure I heard it was ATI - but maybe Nvidia are faster with releasing closed source Linux drivers? Maybe thats where I got confused.

but i'm still confused about this - which one releases the drivers as open source? I'm sure I heard it was ATI - but maybe Nvidia are faster with releasing closed source Linux drivers? Maybe thats where I got confused.

join the club :lol:

where they stand now? I don't know, nor really care. Nvidia use to be open source...now? D/K. I don't know a thing about ati..thank goodness :P

So, does anyone know how I (and RanchNachos) get round this conflict's problem with the libuser files?

I'm not sure because it looks like a different problem from the normal failed dependencies problem that you see when installing rpm's sometimes?

or is it just a case of installing the conflicting libuser files seperately? because I should have thought that I'd still get the conflict?

Any idea's please anyone?

regards

John

p.s. For Lord Kenneth.

Thanks for that. With hindsight, that's an idea that I hadn't considered. I wonder if it's better to use the "BOOT" version? or to have both?? Because surely if the "BOOT" kernel is the one used when booting/installing/liveCD etc that's the one to use as it would then be the main kernel to boot (am I making sense??) the mandrake from.

p.s. For Lord Kenneth.

Thanks for that. With hindsight, that's an idea that I hadn't considered. I wonder if it's better to use the "BOOT" version? or to have both?? Because surely if the "BOOT" kernel is the one used when booting/installing/liveCD etc that's the one to use as it would then be the main kernel to boot (am I making sense??) the mandrake from.

If I am right about the BOOT version, I would not use that.