Installing the 2.6 Kernel

static

Ok Lord kenneth, I guess I'll just stick to the main kernel version (even though it came in at about 16 megs, as opposed to the BOOT version that was about 6.5 megs-can't get my head round why that would be, especially as I was under the impression that actual kernel's where quite small, not that the size matters (pun intended :D), just one of those curious things that i've picked up on during my reading).

And thanks for that bvc, as things are pretty ???? at the moment, worst case scenario is to have to download 9.2 or have another go at 10 beta 2 (or whatevers around), so when I've got a little more time I'll give it a go and see what happens (getting ready for work - again :()

again, thanks for the continues support.

regards

John

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, my connection is half a meg adsl and the mandrake partition I use is about 50 gig's.

It just got me thinking, as I've seen lots of stuff around in respect of people who are running very small installations/variations of linux, where the actual kernel will fit onto a floppy. to see that the mandrake version was 16 meg's or so, caught me a little off guard - I didn't suspect that the kernel would be quite that big.

I mean, I appreciate the surrounding other packages can get pretty large i.e. the X server and kde aren't exactly small.

Still, I suppose that's all part of the learning curve.

Righty Ho! I'm just about to try bvc's earlier suggestion, so I'll report back.

regards

john

Ok, So I did as bvc suggested, and did

rpm -e --nodeps libuser

Which seemed to go OK, and dropped me back into the root prompt.

But when I did the

urpmi kernel-2.6.2.1mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

I'm still getting this

Preparing... ##################################################

Installation failed:

file /usr/lib/libuser/libuser_files.so from install of libuser-0.51.7-8mdk conflicts with file from package libuser1-0.51-6mdk

file /usr/lib/libuser/libuser_ldap.so from install of libuser-0.51.7-8mdk conflicts with file from package libuser1-0.51-6mdk

file /usr/lib/libuser/libuser_shadow.so from install of libuser-0.51.7-8mdk conflicts with file from package libuser1-0.51-6mdk

[root@johnsPC john]#

So does anyone know of any other way I could stop the conflict ?

Erm, just a thought, I did the commands su'd to my root account, from a user terminal. I'm guessing, and probably guessing wrongly, but seem to recall something about not getting total root priveledges when doing SU from a user terminal.

And as I see the conflict between files in libuser and earlier ones in the libuser1 package, would I be able to accomplish this logged in as root only, as opposed to being SU'd to root in a user account? (thinking along the lines that I may be possible that the #libuser1 package is the one used when there's a user logged in on the system somewhere, whereas package libuser isn't actually used when just root is logged onto the system)?

Or am I "barking up the wrong tree" ???

regards

John

Well, your suggestion has partially worked bvc.

I did the first one, and it seemed to work, except about half way down it said something about bootloader utils, and not reading the rpm.

So I ended up trying to see if it had installed with a reboot (similar to what's said at the start of this thread).

But got zip, then I remembered to mount the boot partition, and went throught the process again.

Instead of running through world and dog, it just did "installing kernel 2.6.2.1" etc etc, then did some sort of make2fs thing, twice. So I did the reboot and the 2.6.2.1 now shows on my lilo.

The only problem so far is that I now can't start graphically. I'm getting nvidia related x server snag's. What's the method for starting an editor to see if I can remember which bit's need to be changed to make the nvidia driver run? Or even to look at the /var/log for the x server?

regards

john

Well, I was trying to follow your instructions Lord Kenneth,

But it's all gone to a "sack of shit"!

I tried for the latest nvidia driver. That wouldn't install - it looked like I needed the kernel sources.

That ended in a total "ZIP" cos the f*****s have gone and updated the kernel version at the linked mirror to 2.6.2.3mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm - the kernel version that I had was 2.6.2.1 and that was the one that I needed the kernel sources for.

so after getting driven mad trying to get the bit's that I wanted with links and lynx, I just re-installed 9.1 with the default kernel so at least I can do stuff graphically.

And after getting the latest kernel, kernel sources, etc etc I just end up in dependency hell, the 2.6.2.3 version doesn't seem to pick up any of the stuff it needs, and the versions of the rpms that are at the cooker mirror are later than what the 2.6.2.3 version is asking for and as you'd probably suspect the later versions of the utilities that I'd need also have even more dependency probs.

So it seems that I've got to admit defeat. :(

regards

John

Well, not sure as to your exact problem now (did you try "urpmi kernel-source"?) but a temporary fix (no 3D acceleration) could be to edit your /etc/X11/XFree86Config-4 file...

In "Drivers" section, change

Option "Driver" "nvidia" to Option "Driver" "nv" or something like that. This is off the topic of my head, so I'm not sure what exactly the config file says.

No, my connection is half a meg adsl and the mandrake partition I use is about 50 gig's.

It just got me thinking, as I've seen lots of stuff around in respect of people who are running very small installations/variations of linux, where the actual kernel will fit onto a floppy. to see that the mandrake version was 16 meg's or so, caught me a little off guard - I didn't suspect that the kernel would be quite that big.

I mean, I appreciate the surrounding other packages can get pretty large i.e. the X server and kde aren't exactly small.

Still, I suppose that's all part of the learning curve.

Righty Ho! I'm just about to try bvc's earlier suggestion, so I'll report back.

regards

john

Those kernels are stripped-down versions, as would the kernel used on the bootCD. They don't need the functionality of a normal desktop/server version, especially for "experimental stuff".

There is no kernel-source yet for the 2.6.3. So if you need it for video, modem or anything......wait a couple of days. Or, go find a 2.6.2 with a matching kernel-source somewhere else. As far as what pkgs?....urpmi will take care of that. If you want to do it by hand the pkgs needed are mentioned throughout the thread and rpm -ivh will let you know the deps.

After "almost" giving up on Mandrake because I can't ever upgrade stuff.. and "attempting" to install Gentoo, and then failing miserably I'm back here again.

This time I'm running my server more secure, Linux-Secure from the boot menu.

So would I download the Linux-Secure 2.6.3 kernel?

Or does it not matter which one?

I use the urpmi method but keep getting the message:

Installation failed:

glibc_lsb is needed by lsb-1.3-6.1mdk

XFree86-libs == 4.3-5mdk is needed by XFree86-devel-4.3-5mdk

How do I fix this?

Tried getting XFree86-libs 4.3-5mdk and the glibc-lsb rpm installing them to var/cache/urpmi/rpms/ but still same message.

Edited by fearby