• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there should be something in /etc/modprobe.conf

alias sound-slot-1 snd-via82xx
alias eth0 via-rhine
install scsi_hostadapter /sbin/modprobe ide-scsi; /bin/true
install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-via82xx && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }
install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe usb-uhci; /bin/true
remove snd-via82xx { /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --first-time --ignore-remove snd-via82xx
alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia

Just guessing though. Mine is saved at shutdown/reboot and restored at boot. Maybe this just stops it, I d/k. I haven't really looked into it.

Edited by bvc

When I try to add the link to my mcc, it fails to download the directory. What dependcies do I need? I downloaded the kernel & the source file ( also a new nvidia .5328 driver).

I'm now adding the cooker link :D it worked finally, perhaps just a bad connection. However a list of the dependencies required would be nice for those who use dial up ( like I do at the house)

Ok heres what I got when I installed, so hopefully it works for those who are dial users:

To satisfy dependencies, the following packages are going to be installed (20 MB):

kernel-2.6.2.0.rc3.1mdk-1-1mdk.i586

libdbus-1_0-0.20-7mdk.i586

libsysfs0-0.4.0-1mdk.i586

mkinitrd-3.5.18-3mdk.i586

module-init-tools-3.0-0.pre9.2mdk.i586

sysfsutils-0.4.0-1mdk.i586

udev-013-3mdk.i586

Is this OK? (Y/n) y

Edited by grendal

I did this once and it work fine, then I hosed my system trying to install debian.

So, I reinstalled MDK and tried to upgrade the kernel again and now I can't boot to either the 2.4 or 2.6 kernels.

This is the message I get:

resume from /dev/hda11
Resume from /dev/hda11
kernel panic: Resume Machine: unable to find supsended-data signiture (-misspelled?

any ideas as to how I can fix this without reinstalling are appreciated thanks.

Tired of hearing about how fast and cool the new 2.6 kernel is but you don't know how to get it installed? Not sure what a kernel is but love speed? This is for you.
  1. Go to this link and download the kernel 2.6 rpm

2. Add that same link to your Software Media Manager under Configuration >> Packaging

3. Open a console and cd to the directory where you saved the kernel rpm

4. type "urpmi kernel-2.6.filename"

5. Reboot

6. Choose 2.6 at the lilo bootloader, and enjoy!

7. Go back into Software Media Manager and uncheck the "Enable" box for the cooker link you added in step 2.

8. Optionally, go into the Mandrake Control Center, go to Boot, and rename the 2.6 in lilo to something cool.

It's that easy!

I'll edit this post tomorrow to be sure the link is right and to add some pics to clarify.

Followed instructions just as you said, and it really was easy to install the 2.6.2-0rc3 kernel. However, I have a problem that I just can't seem to find an answer to anywhere...

I have a Compaq 900z laptop with a Synaptics touchpad and Microsoft optical wheel mouse attached via PS/2. Both worked simultaneously under the 2.4 kernel, but only the touchpad works under 2.6 (and fidgety at that). I know they changed the way the mouse is configured/detected at boot in the 2.6 kernel, and I've tried the following advice from Linus:

boot linux with "psmouse_noext=1" as option;

boot linux with "psmouse_rate=60 psmouse_resolution=200" as option;

boot linux with "psmouse_proto={bare|imps|exps}" as options

And with all of these, only my touchpad works.

Has anyone had success tweaking their 2.6.2-0rc3 kernel installation from the previously-mentioned French site to work with BOTH a touchpad and PS/2 mouse? I'm desparate!

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Hi thread,

I've just spent 2 days, trying to work out how to do 2 things, thing 1 was to install a 2.6 series kernel, thing 2 was to install KDE 3.2 and failed dismally at both.

Now I should point out that I thought that I'd managed to sort out the 2 "things" above, at one go, by downloading and installing mandrake 10 beta 2, but that's what seems to have killed of my earlier installs i.e. it wouldn't boot, then it wouldn't start the KDE, then it wouldn't see my graphic's card (probably because I haven't got the latest nvidia driver), then it just hung on a blue screen "a la microsoft".

This meant that I'd managed to kill both my mandrake 9.1 install and my gentoo 1.4 install (which maybe still there, but as I haven't got a clue what the gentoo image is called, what the initrd is called or what I would include in my lilo.conf, let alone what I need to include in my /boot partition) I've just spent about 8 hours re-installing 9.1 and getting the various updates/bugfixes/security fixes etc etc.

All in all, it's been a cross between :wall: and :furious3:.

So now that I'm back to something approaching "square 1", I have a look here and find this:

Tired of hearing about how fast and cool the new 2.6 kernel is but you don't know how to get it installed? Not sure what a kernel is but love speed? This is for you.

1.Go to this link and download the kernel 2.6 rpm

2.Add that same link to your Software Media Manager under Configuration >> Packaging

3.Open a console and cd to the directory where you saved the kernel rpm

4.type "urpmi kernel-2.6.filename"

5.Reboot

6.Choose 2.6 at the lilo bootloader, and enjoy!

7.Go back into Software Media Manager and uncheck the "Enable" box for the cooker link you added in step 2.

8.Optionally, go into the Mandrake Control Center, go to Boot, and rename the 2.6 in lilo to something cool.

It's that easy!

I'll edit this post tomorrow to be sure the link is right and to add some pics to clarify.

Now while I'm quite happy to screw up my mandrake install, yet again, I'd rather not, so could I please presume on someone to elaborate on how I'd do this:

Add that same link to your Software Media Manager under Configuration >> Packaging ?

Also, as the "link" in the original post is this, which kernel "bit's and bob's" would I need, as I see there is a "kernel", a "kernel-BOOT" and "kernel-sources" ?

For the second "thing" of getting the KDE 3.2, which I see is at the same site, is there anyway that you would know of to be able to get "the whole shooting match" in one go (and yes one of the earlier cock up's involved me trying to use "konstruct") or do I have to download the individual parts and then install (also would you know if that would give me 2 KDE versions or would it overwrite the one I've got from my dvd powerpack)?

Sorry if I sound stupid (well, I suppose I must be), but I'd rather learn how to do this properly than have to go through the :wall::juggle::jester::cheeky::oops::furious3::help: routine again.

many thanks in advance.

regards

John

to be fair, mandrake 10 IS a beta, so its to be expected that it will fail to boot on some systems.

noticed that you have an nvidia card - here's a rule of thumb to use in future - dont EVER install a linux beta distro on a system with an nvidia card. ATI have been far more collaborative with Linux than Nvidia has , and usually ATI cards have no problems in beta distros.

My advice is to swap out that Nvidia and get yourself an ATI.

Edited by kde-head

Ok, I understand what kde-head is saying re trying the #10 beta 2 and nvidia drivers. I just won't bother with version 10 yet.

That still leaves the question of exactly what I would need to put into the "Add that same link to your Software Media Manager under Configuration >> Packaging" bit of the original post.

Or what I would actually have to put in the filename bit of "urpmi kernel-2.6.filename". does this mean that if for example, it's called kernel-2.6.bigdogswhatsits.rpm then I'd actually put kernel-2.6.bigdogswhatsits.rpm? or would I have to drop the .rpm part ??

Also, I notice at the linked site that there's kernel, kernel-BOOT and kernel-sources all marked up for 2.6.2 hence which would I need ? I think that the version that I'm using is a kernel-BOOT version, but I don't know how to check? any idea's ?

regards

John