Mandriva 2011 beta 2 released

dexter11

Are they serious about that interface? It's horrid. I truly hope there is the option to kick that into touch. What is going through their minds :wall: I just couldn't even bring myself to continue looking at the rest of the system. Pass me the bucket, I feel ill. :sick2:

Overall, I'm not so negative. Frankly, I like what I see better in Mandriva's KDE Beta than Fedora's Gnome beta atm. I do prefer Mandriva's desktop over Fedora's in these new releases. In the current stable release however, I prefer Fedora.

My gripes with Mandriva.

1) Fonts look horrible on many of the forums I browse (but they look ok on Mandriva's forum).

2) No Intel WiFi driver on the DVD. Have to access the internet by another method to install from the non-free repository.

3) Slow to boot the Live DVD. [Haven't tried a HD install]

My gripes with Fedora.

1) Sierra Wireless 890 AirCard is not working (even after setting up).

2) On a related issue, one needs to run a command line program to set up Mobile Broadband (probably this will be fixed).

3) Firefox has no minimize/maximize buttons by default. You have to install another applet to get them back.

Once Firefox is maximized, (without the buttons added back), one cannot even pull Firefox's borders in with the mouse!

Firefox permanently takes up the entire desktop except for the Gnome taskbar (although you can switch to another app)!

4) Cannot completely disable touchpad with built in settings available.

5) Hard to configure almost anything. Very few configuration choices by default.

Edited by David Batson

Overall, I'm not so negative. Frankly, I like what I see better in Mandriva's KDE Beta than Fedora's Gnome beta atm.

Sure once you can stomach that horrid menu, I'm sure there are things worth looking at. My one and only issue at the moment is that menu interface, as long as it can be disabled I'll be happy.

Mageia so far has it all over Mandriva with these two betas.

In the Mandriva control centre you cannot delete any package without it crashing. When you choose to shut down or reboot, it starts the process but when it gets to blank screen it appears to freeze and can only be dealt with by hitting the reset button. Considering that Mandriva beta2 is about a quarter to one third the size of the Mageia beta 2 it doesn't say much for Mandrivas work to have such important faults at this stage.

The only disappointment I have with Mageia is that a number of my preferred applications are or seem to be missing, namely......knemo, xmms, apcupsd plus gapcmon,and mahjongg3d. There may be others and they may all still appear in the final release. So far I have not encountered any bugs in Mageia at all. A lot of the Major packages seem to be newer versions than in Mandriva.

So far, based on my current experience of both the beta OSs at this stage I think that Mageia 2011 will likely be my next main OS although I will still run Mandriva 2011 but as a secondary OS. Rosa looks flashy but it does not do anything for me and making it a default really stuns me despite the fact that one can choose not to use it. It seems to have come right out of the blue. This sort of thing does not impress me well for Mandiva.

Cheers. John.

It was nice to read your info on the comparison between Mandriva and Mageia John. Many thanks, I appreciate it since I've not installed either and this kind of information helps people choose based on all of our experiences.

The only disappointment I have with Mageia is that a number of my preferred applications are or seem to be missing, namely......knemo, xmms, apcupsd plus gapcmon,and mahjongg3d. There may be others and they may all still appear in the final release.

Cheers. John.

You are absolutely right John. There are still many packages waiting for

introduction.

Anyone is encouraged to fill out a "New RPM package request" through Bugzilla:

https://bugs.mageia.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Mageia&format=guided

As for knemo, there has already been placed a request:

https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=834

isadora