Photosmart CN509B scanner not detected

lcl

HP CN509B Photosmart Premium eMFP

Mandriva 2010.1

I installed this as a network printer and have tried over ethernet and

wireless, as a local printer on USB, and printing by email. All work

very well and are easy to set up (CUPS localhost:631 and the front panel). The B109a

driver does a good job for documents and photoprints.

But, no luck with the scanner function. I gather, from this list,

that other people have had problems with similar HP devices.

I plugged it in on USB but xsane could not detect it although

the sane external backend is installed, I think (lib64sane-aio1) and

there is an hpaio entry in /etc/sane.d/sane.dll and also an

hpaio.conf file containing a single line:

usb 0x03f0 0x4811

sane-find-scanner can see it on the usb bus but scanimage -L fails to

list it. It looks like sane does not understand that the backend is

available, so what more needs to be done? Scanning with an Epson

Perfection on USB works fine so user permissions, etc. must be

alright. hp-setup does not see the scanner component either.

Thanks

Len

Have you got the hplip packages installed? There's a post on here where someone had the same problem as you, I'll try and find it and link it so you can take a look at trying what they did.

EDIT:

Links:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?/topic/105279-hp-photosmart-b109a-multi-unit-solved/page__st__15__p__695397__hl__hplip+scanner__fromsearch__1#entry695397

and:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?/topic/107967-hp-all-in-one/page__p__696375__hl__hplip+scanner__fromsearch__1#entry696375

Have you got the hplip packages installed? There's a post on here where someone had the same problem as you, I'll try and find it and link it so you can take a look at trying what they did.

EDIT:

Links:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?/topic/105279-hp-photosmart-b109a-multi-unit-solved/page__st__15__p__695397__hl__hplip+scanner__fromsearch__1#entry695397

and:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?/topic/107967-hp-all-in-one/page__p__696375__hl__hplip+scanner__fromsearch__1#entry696375

Yes, I always have hplip installed because there is always an HP printer installed. I think commands like hp-setup, hp-toolbox are part of the hplip package. I read somewhere that hpaio is also part of hplip but I had to install the hpao1 package separately.

I checked the various hplip components listed on the first of your links and found that all of them except hplip-model-data were already installed. Installing that did not help. The printer was installed under CUPS but when I ran hp-setup hplip could not detect even that although I have been using it already on USB and wireless! There is something weird going on here. As I said sane-find-scanner finds the device on usb but scanimage -L lists only v4l (for the webcam). My hpaio.conf contains the correct usb data but I was not able to add a scanner line because I cannot identify one on my system. I looked for things like /dev/scanner, /dev/usb/scanner, /dev/usbscanner.... Nothing there even after rebooting with the scanner on and nothing on reconnection. Scanning works for the Epson so permissions must be OK. ??

I have just been experimenting and get the impression that the scanner is accessed through the /dev/usb nodes, e.g. /dev/usb/001/007. These vary each time the device is connected. The permissions do not change between connecting the Epson and HP scanners but the groups do.

Results based on output from sane-find-scanner after reconnection:

HP CN509A : scanner on

[root@canopus usb]# ls -l /dev/bus/usb/007/014

crw-rw-r--+ 1 root lp 189, 781 2011-03-27 15:28 /dev/bus/usb/007/014

Here the USB bus node is attached to the printer group.

Epson Perfection

[root@canopus usb]# ls -l /dev/bus/usb/003/008

crw-rw-r--+ 1 root root 189, 263 2011-03-27 15:32 /dev/bus/usb/003/008

When the Epson Perfection is connected it appears under Scanners in harddrake2 but the HP all-in-one goes under USB Mass Storage.

harddrake2 quotes the driver module as scanner but there is no scanner module. SANE does not work that way as far as I know. It needs the appropriate backend to access the scanner so how can it be made to know that hpaio is there? Beats me. I would have thought that installing the scanner under hp-setup would have done the trick but that has to scan for devices and fails. A Catch-22 situation.

Three solid days work and no progress.

When the Epson Perfection is connected it appears under Scanners in harddrake2 but the HP all-in-one goes under USB Mass Storage.
And there lies the problem.

Install USB_ModeSwitch, it may switch off the Mass Storage automatically and switch to the scanner.

If not then you've got some reading to do. There are several articles on the Internet about its use.

And there lies the problem.

Install USB_ModeSwitch, it may switch off the Mass Storage automatically and switch to the scanner.

If not then you've got some reading to do. There are several articles on the Internet about its use.

Thanks for that tip. I remember now having to mode-switch on a Huawei device I used for a while. Installed the Mandriva RPM and shall work on it over the next couple of days and report back. If successful shall also post to the Draisberghof site. The mass-storage thing might explain why I can no longer administer the printer from CUPS on the laptop. Somehow I managed to add the printer as a local and network device - it did require some fiddling, using sockets rather than ipp but now CUPS use the queues, for testpages for instance but cannot administer them. It is all starting to make sense. What puzzles me is how other people have managed to install their all-in-ones without hitting this particular problem.

Len

What puzzles me is how other people have managed to install their all-in-ones without hitting this particular problem.

Len

Not all all-in-ones have the mass storage.

If I understand correctly what happens under Windows is that the software for the device is on the mass storage instead of a CD and once installed the software automatically switches from storage mode to device mode every time the device is powered up or detected on boot.

As most manufactures do not fully support Linux we're left to work around problems like this.

Not all all-in-ones have the mass storage.

If I understand correctly what happens under Windows is that the software for the device is on the mass storage instead of a CD and once installed the software automatically switches from storage mode to device mode every time the device is powered up or detected on boot.

As most manufactures do not fully support Linux we're left to work around problems like this.

Yes I had some idea that that was going on. The usb_modeswitch forum could not help much except that the built-in card reader would be detected as mass storage. It was also suggested that this could be a driver problem and that I would need to run the device on a Windows machine to sniff out what was going on. That is not an option for me - no access to any Windows systems. Now, looking back at your description of the startup process, if the Windows software is already on the device would it not function anyway on power-up irrespective of what os might be used later to access it? I installed the printer on the network right from the start using the front panel - no operating system involved. Or would it need some kind of initial trigger or OK from a Windows machine? From what I remember the installation procedure finished cleanly; no mention of having to set up anything from Windows.

Hate to give up on this; in 15 years of using Linux I have never been beaten by the hardware. There has always been a way.

Yes I had some idea that that was going on. The usb_modeswitch forum could not help much except that the built-in card reader would be detected as mass storage. It was also suggested that this could be a driver problem and that I would need to run the device on a Windows machine to sniff out what was going on. That is not an option for me - no access to any Windows systems. Now, looking back at your description of the startup process, if the Windows software is already on the device would it not function anyway on power-up irrespective of what os might be used later to access it? I installed the printer on the network right from the start using the front panel - no operating system involved. Or would it need some kind of initial trigger or OK from a Windows machine? From what I remember the installation procedure finished cleanly; no mention of having to set up anything from Windows.

Hate to give up on this; in 15 years of using Linux I have never been beaten by the hardware. There has always been a way.

Now, looking back at your description of the startup process, if the Windows software is already on the device would it not function anyway on power-up irrespective of what os might be used later to access it?
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear on what happens.

The software from the USB storage is installed on Windows, when the software installed on Windows sees the USB storage it turns it off and turns on the scanning device.

usb_modeswitch try's to do the same thing.

I don't have anything that needs this switching so if it doesn't happen automatically I have no idea on how to configure it.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear on what happens.

The software from the USB storage is installed on Windows, when the software installed on Windows sees the USB storage it turns it off and turns on the scanning device.

usb_modeswitch try's to do the same thing.

I don't have anything that needs this switching so if it doesn't happen automatically I have no idea on how to configure it.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense now. So, the B109a driver is able to mimic Windows and switch it to printer mode but hpaio expects the device to be in scanner mode already so it does not see it. That is a guess. If that is so then there is no way to enable scanning in Linux.