thunderbird crashes when opening an email

boatman9

This is happening with Mandriva 2010.2 64-bit, newly installed from the 2010.2 Free DVD. All package updates have been done and I have added some additional packages. Thunderbird opens and will download pop3 email, but immediately exits on aattempt to read any new or old email.

I ran thunderbird from a console windows and got the following output.

Registering Enigmail account manager extension.
Enigmail account manager extension registered.
DOUBLE-CLICK: 400 --> -1 THRESHOLD: 8 --> -1

When I tried to read an email the following was displayed, thunderbird exited and left me looking at the following output in my console window:

OpenOffice path before fixup is '/usr/lib64/ooo'
OpenOffice path is '/usr/lib64/ooo'
Attempting to load the system libmoon 
/usr/lib64/thunderbird-3.0.11/run-mozilla.sh: line 131: 11729 Segmentation fault      "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

Update: I removed the moonlight package and now thunderbird will open emails. Is this a bug? with thunderbird or with moonlight?

Edited by boatman9

scarecrow,

Thanks for the suggestion. After reading your post I reinstalled moonlight in order to test which add-on or plugin may be involved in the crash, however I could not complete the tests because Thunderbird did not crash again even after moonlight had been reinstalled.

• 1 month later...

If things get too hopeless you can try the version at mozilla's website. I'm not a fan of the default firefox/thunderbird programs that come with Mandriva and OpenSuSe, there is always somethig that goes wrong.