HP All-in-one

AussieJohn

I am running 2010.2 which was a clean install.

In the previous install which was also 2010.2, I had no trouble running the Scanner part of the device and the Printer has run AOK in both this and the earlier installs of this OS version.

The unit is HP PhotoSmart b109a-m and I have taken care of the models.dat file correction that was necessary and also ensured that lib64sane-hpaio1 is installed.

Although I have gone over it countless times, I still think I am missing something obvious.

Thoughts or suggestions anyone, please.

Cheers. John.

When you run xsane, does it complain about not seeing a scanner device? If so, perhaps you need to be in the plugdev group or something so that you can access it. I was having this problem once, but with another distro.

Hi Ian.

Yes it does say no scanners detected, this also includes an Epson Photo 2450 connected by firewire.

I shouldn't need to do what you suggest because everything worked effortlessly in the prior install of 2010.2 and nothing was changed in between these two latest installs.

That is what makes me think I am missing something obvious . Come to think off it perhaps an updated package is at fault as seems to be the case in the GoogleEarth discussed in the other post on that topic.

Unless someone else has a suggestion or two, I might wait a couple of days and see if the problem disappears after newer updates

Cheers. John.

As root, dmesg at the console will tell you if the scanner was picked up when you plug it into the USB port. If nothing shown, then this would hint at a problem with hardware detection or something.

Another might be in case the hplip stuff isn't installed. I know I had this problem once, but it can vary from one distro to another, and I also remember I was missing having something installed, just can't remember what it was now.

EDIT:

Could be a sane package missing, maybe sane-utils, or sane-hp. I don't know what's available currently in Mandy repos. Also, if running xsane as root allows you access to the device, this would mean a permissions issue, and so this was why I suggested adding the user to the plugdev group. You can try all this out and see how you get on.