GoogleEarth

AussieJohn

I have installed GoogleEarth seemingly OK however when clicked on it does not start up. I am running Mandriva2010.2 x64 (Third time clean install same result)

I have followed up on past posts that I could find here and at Mandriva but may have missed some. Did all suggested. The version I am trying to run is the one from PLF.

Any ideas are welcome, please.

Cheers. John

Sorry Mods. Could you please move this to the appropriate Software forum. Wasn't thinking too clearly.

Thanks. JB

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

Hi Ken, you are correct. I forgot about that. Head is a little foggy today, hence the lapse of having put the post in the wrong forum. The installer is the only thing that comes from PLF.

GoogleEarth installs normally with no error messages. It puts an Icon on the desktop which when clicked says that will start GoogleEarth but it just times out and then zilch.

What routine do you mean when you say use Konsole to start it ???.

Cheers. John.

I've had problems with the new googleearth seg faulting when you try to run it. I always then just download and install the previous release. Chances are if you run googleearth from the console prompt, you'll see this segfault. It's not distro-specific, and don't know why it doesn't work. Previous release is good enough for me, I've no idea what they changed in the new version that stops it working. The whole binary is self-contained with all dependencies, so it should just work.

Try this, maybe it's the same you're experiencing.

Thanks Isadora.

I tried just now and it said "No such file or Directory".

Thanks Ian. I think that is the answer. I think I will wait for the next updated version, whenever that is. It's not like it is a critical application after all.

I truly can't be bothered doing a manual install off the earlier version. At least I feel now that it was not a mistep on my part.

Thank you, also Ken and Isadora for responding.

Cheers. John.

John, I just tried installing the rpm from plf and it didn't install the program only the install link. After looking at the link I ran

sh -c "wget http://api.mandriva.com/3rd-party/200800/downloadURL/GoogleEarth -O GoogleEarthLinux.bin && sh +x GoogleEarthLinux.bin"

from a root prompt which installed GoogleEarth.